The function ‘vc-default-dir-extra-headers’ is implemented as a stub function that prints in the vc-dir buffer a rather annoying and unhelpful message advicing that the implementer of a VC backend should create some backend specific headers and that doing this is easy. vc-rcs doesn't implement any (and I doubt it needs), and thus whenever I use vc-dir on an RCS repository, this message is shown. Attached is a patch that disables this behaviour by making the said function return nil instead (the function as it is includes a comment that says to do so before the ‘release’).