all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Fancy splitting in Gnus
@ 2017-09-11 20:55 Narendra Joshi
From: Narendra Joshi @ 2017-09-11 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I use the following to do fancy splitting.

,----

| (setq gnus-select-method
|       `(nnimap "gmail"
|                (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
|                (nnir-search-engine imap)
|                (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
|                (nnimap-stream ssl)
|                (nnimap-split-methods ,nnmail-split-fancy)))

`----

I have observed that every time I add a new entry to
`nnmail-split-fancy', it takes time for Gnus to recognize that it has to
split those emails that match the new entry. Or it is something that I
don't recognize which triggers the splitting. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Narendra Joshi

* Re: Fancy splitting in Gnus
@ 2017-09-12  3:23 ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2017-09-12  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Narendra Joshi; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Narendra Joshi [2017-09-12 02:25:50+05:30] wrote:

> (setq gnus-select-method [...]

> I have observed that every time I add a new entry to
> `nnmail-split-fancy', it takes time for Gnus to recognize that it has to
> split those emails that match the new entry.

If you assign a new value to nnmail-split-fancy variable in a running
Emacs session you need to re-evaluate the (setq gnus-select-method ...)
form.

--
/// Teemu Likonen   - .-..   <https://keybase.io/tlikonen> //
// PGP: 4E10 55DC 84E9 DFF6 13D7 8557 719D 69D3 2453 9450 ///

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Fancy splitting in Gnus
@ 2017-09-12  4:16   ` Narendra Joshi
From: Narendra Joshi @ 2017-09-12  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

The splitting does happen even after restarting.

Narendra Joshi

@ 2017-09-13 10:38   ` Göktuğ Kayaalp
From: Göktuğ Kayaalp @ 2017-09-13 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Teemu Likonen; +Cc: Narendra Joshi, help-gnu-emacs

On 2017-09-12 06:23 +03, Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> wrote:
> Narendra Joshi [2017-09-12 02:25:50+05:30] wrote:
>
>> (setq gnus-select-method [...]
>
>> I have observed that every time I add a new entry to
>> `nnmail-split-fancy', it takes time for Gnus to recognize that it has to
>> split those emails that match the new entry.
>
> If you assign a new value to nnmail-split-fancy variable in a running
> Emacs session you need to re-evaluate the (setq gnus-select-method ...)
> form.

IIRC re-evaluating the method is not necessary.  Nevertheless the OP can
check how Gnus will split new mail with ‘B q’ in the summary.  It'll
tell where the article will go, but not actually move it (use ‘B r’ for
that.

* Re: Fancy splitting in Gnus
@ 2017-09-13 13:08     ` Narendra Joshi
From: Narendra Joshi @ 2017-09-13 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

B q helped. The problem was with my configuration. I had a filter  on
the wrong header.

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 4:08 PM, Göktuğ Kayaalp <self@gkayaalp.com> wrote:
> On 2017-09-12 06:23 +03, Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> wrote:
>> Narendra Joshi [2017-09-12 02:25:50+05:30] wrote:
>>
>>> (setq gnus-select-method [...]
>>
>>> I have observed that every time I add a new entry to
>>> `nnmail-split-fancy', it takes time for Gnus to recognize that it has to
>>> split those emails that match the new entry.
>>
>> If you assign a new value to nnmail-split-fancy variable in a running
>> Emacs session you need to re-evaluate the (setq gnus-select-method ...)
>> form.
>
> IIRC re-evaluating the method is not necessary.  Nevertheless the OP can
> check how Gnus will split new mail with ‘B q’ in the summary.  It'll
> tell where the article will go, but not actually move it (use ‘B r’ for
> that.

* Re: Fancy splitting in Gnus
@ 2017-09-13 15:31       ` Göktuğ Kayaalp
From: Göktuğ Kayaalp @ 2017-09-13 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2017-09-13 18:38 +0530, Narendra Joshi <narendraj9@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks,
>
> B q helped. The problem was with my configuration. I had a filter  on
> the wrong header.

Glad it helped, you're welcome!  A little suggestion if you won't mind:
if you have the menu-bar-mode turned off, you should turn it on at least
for Gnus, it's a very nice tool to quickly discover many features that
you would spend lots of time searching for in the manual / on the net.

--
İ. Göktuğ Kayaalp              http://www.gkayaalp.com/index.html
self@gkayaalp.com    🎀            PGP = 024C 30DD 597D 142B 49AC

* Re: Fancy splitting in Gnus
@ 2017-09-13 16:16         ` Narendra Joshi
From: Narendra Joshi @ 2017-09-13 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, I have it turned off. I am going to turn it on :)

Narendra Joshi