all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Keybindings for Emacs with no X?
@ 2012-02-03  4:38 Angel de Vicente
From: Angel de Vicente @ 2012-02-03  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I run Emacs in text mode, inside GNUScreen, running in a
gnome-terminal. As a result, many key combinations don't get sent to
Emacs properly. For example, M-SPC gets to Emacs as C-M-j. Since I run
Emacs always like this, and basically I live inside Emacs, I would be
willing to spend some time trying to find a way out of this
problem. Searching the web has not really helped much...

Any help on where I should be looking?

Ángel de Vicente
http://angel-de-vicente.blogspot.com/

* Re: Keybindings for Emacs with no X?
@ 2012-02-03 20:09 Silvio Levy
From: Silvio Levy @ 2012-02-03 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Proulx; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> > Why not use a GUI based emacs?

> One reason is because logging in over a high latency connection to a
> server on the other side of the world and trying to throw the X11
> display back over the very slow global Internet is a test of patience.

I can attest that for remote editing -- even across town in one of the
most technologically enabled areas of the US -- X emacs is less
satisfactory than emacs in a text terminal.

Silvio

* Re: Keybindings for Emacs with no X?
@ 2012-02-03 20:52 Silvio Levy
From: Silvio Levy @ 2012-02-03 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Yes, X11 forwarding is clearly not the way to go.  But why not open
> files on the remote server using TRAMP which comes with emacs?

In my case, the answer is that editing files is only part of what I do
remotely. I keep an ssh window open on the remote host anyway; it
makes little sense to then use a *local* invocation of emacs to open a
remote file (with the corresponding overhead of transfer protocols,
mimencode and all that jazz).

Conceptually, too, it's cleaner if each of my (color-coded) text
windows is acting on a single host.

TRAMP sounds terrific, but it seems to be meant for a different sort
of workflow.

Silvio

[parent not found: <mailman.3017.1328246410.15002.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]