all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how to prevent 'line-wrap'?
@ 2004-07-23  8:45 Chang PilHun
From: Chang PilHun @ 2004-07-23  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

in vim, I can do this ":set" nowrap.(and recover by ":set wrap")
How can I do these actions in emacs?

* Re: how to prevent 'line-wrap'?
@ 2004-07-23  9:35 ` Thorsten Bonow
From: Thorsten Bonow @ 2004-07-23  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Chang> in vim, I can do this ":set" nowrap.(and recover by ":set wrap") How
    Chang> can I do these actions in emacs?

The function `auto-fill-mode' toggles "word-wrapping" in Emacs.

To enable it for all text based modes, I have

;; ** auto-fill for all text modes
(add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'auto-fill-mode 1)

in my init file.

Toto

--
Contact information and PGP key at
http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/thorsten.bonow

* Re: how to prevent 'line-wrap'?
@ 2004-07-23 11:31   ` roodwriter
From: roodwriter @ 2004-07-23 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thorsten Bonow wrote:

>     Chang> in vim, I can do this ":set" nowrap.(and recover by ":set
>     wrap") How Chang> can I do these actions in emacs?
>
> The function `auto-fill-mode' toggles "word-wrapping" in Emacs.
>
> To enable it for all text based modes, I have
>
> ;; ** auto-fill for all text modes
> (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'auto-fill-mode 1)
>
> in my init file.
>
> Toto
>
> --
> Contact information and PGP key at
> http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/thorsten.bonow

There's also refill-mode, which is auto-fill but works automatically
when editing in the middle of a line. It requires double-spacing
between paragraphs, though. Adjacent lines always get slurped up.

Like auto-fill, refill is a toggle. I bound both to function keys so I
can pop them on and off as I write, depending on which is most useful
at that point.

--Rod
______________________________
Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answers for Practical Consumers"
and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." Both are available at
http://rodwriterpublishing.com/index.html.

To reply by e-mail remove the extra "o". It's to foil spambots, of course.

* Re: how to prevent 'line-wrap'?
@ 2004-07-23 20:58 ` Walker Pendleton
From: Walker Pendleton @ 2004-07-23 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23 Jul 2004, Chang PilHun wrote:
> in vim, I can do this ":set" nowrap.(and recover by ":set wrap")
> How can I do these actions in emacs?

toggle-truncate-lines