all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Does word under cursor match pattern?
@ 2010-08-23 11:18 Paulo J. Matos
From: Paulo J. Matos @ 2010-08-23 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I am trying to know if a word under the cursor matched a pattern
([Bb]-?[0-9]+). My idea was:
- Select region with word under cursor
- Transform region into string
- Apply regexp on string

This has one problem: I can't seem to find a function to transform a
region into a string. On the other hand maybe I can work with the region
directly.

Any tips on how to do this?

Cheers,

--
PMatos

* Re: Does word under cursor match pattern?
@ 2010-08-23 11:56 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-08-23 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paulo J. Matos; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 1:18 PM, Paulo J. Matos <pocmatos@gmail.com> wrote:

> This has one problem: I can't seem to find a function to transform a
> region into a string.

buffer-substring-no-properties?

* Re: Does word under cursor match pattern?
       [not found] <mailman.6.1282562668.29657.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-08-23 11:58 ` Marc Mientki
From: Marc Mientki @ 2010-08-23 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 23.08.2010 13:18, schrieb Paulo J. Matos:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to know if a word under the cursor matched a pattern
> ([Bb]-?[0-9]+).
>
> Any tips on how to do this?

This is a job for looking-at.

,----[ C-h f looking-at RET ]
| looking-at is a built-in function in `C source code'.
|
| (looking-at REGEXP)
|
| Return t if text after point matches regular expression REGEXP.
| This function modifies the match data that `match-beginning',
| `match-end' and `match-data' access; save and restore the match
| data if you want to preserve them.
`----

regards
Marc

* Re: Does word under cursor match pattern?
@ 2010-08-23 12:37 ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2010-08-23 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paulo J. Matos; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

2010/8/23 Paulo J. Matos <pocmatos@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to know if a word under the cursor matched a pattern
> ([Bb]-?[0-9]+). My idea was:
> - Select region with word under cursor
> - Transform region into string
> - Apply regexp on string
>
> This has one problem: I can't seem to find a function to transform a
> region into a string. On the other hand maybe I can work with the region
> directly.
>
> Any tips on how to do this?

You can use e.g. (thing-at-point 'word). This would return the string
with properties and such, if you want that.

--
Deniz Dogan

* Re: Does word under cursor match pattern?
@ 2010-08-23 12:43   ` Paulo J. Matos
From: Paulo J. Matos @ 2010-08-23 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 1:18 PM, Paulo J. Matos <pocmatos@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> This has one problem: I can't seem to find a function to transform a
>> region into a string.
>
> buffer-substring-no-properties?

That's it! Thanks. :)

Cheers,