all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Install MH and run install-mh before running MH-E
@ 2006-04-21 21:04 Leon
From: Leon @ 2006-04-21 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

I got the error: "Install MH and run install-mh before running MH-E"
when run mh-rmail. Any ideas?

--
Leon

* Re: [MH-E] Eorror: Install MH and run install-mh before running MH-E
@ 2006-04-22 17:25 ` Leon
From: Leon @ 2006-04-22 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> Dear all,
>
> I got the error: "Install MH and run install-mh before running MH-E"
> when run mh-rmail. Any ideas?

Sorry for the obscure title. Anyone help me get on my way?

--

@ 2006-04-22 17:55   ` Roger Mason
From: Roger Mason @ 2006-04-22 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

Leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> Leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I got the error: "Install MH and run install-mh before running MH-E"
>> when run mh-rmail. Any ideas?
>
> Sorry for the obscure title. Anyone help me get on my way?

At the risk of stating the obvious, and knowing nought of MH, have you
done what the error message suggests:

Install MH - by whatever method is appropriate for you platform
Run "install-sh" - which presumably copies the executables somewhere
appropriate.

HTH,

Roger Mason

* Re: [MH-E] Eorror: Install MH and run install-mh before running MH-E
@ 2006-04-22 18:02     ` Leon
From: Leon @ 2006-04-22 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Roger Mason <rmason@esd.mun.ca> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I got the error: "Install MH and run install-mh before running MH-E"
>>> when run mh-rmail. Any ideas?
>>
>> Sorry for the obscure title. Anyone help me get on my way?
>
> At the risk of stating the obvious, and knowing nought of MH, have you
> done what the error message suggests:
>
> Install MH - by whatever method is appropriate for you platform
> Run "install-sh" - which presumably copies the executables somewhere
> appropriate.
>
> HTH,
>
> Roger Mason

I did but I can't find install-mh in my system.

--

@ 2006-04-23 16:29       ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2006-04-23 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> I did but I can't find install-mh in my system.

It's in the directory in which you installed MH.

By the way, which system are you using? Which version of MH? Which
version of MH-E? If you're using Debian or Ubuntu, you can just
install the MH-E package. Otherwise, if you're using anything but CVS
Emacs, you're using an ANCIENT version of MH-E and you definitely want
to get the latest.

Please consider joining the mh-e-users mailing list and check out the
Getting Started chapter in the manual. See
http://mh-e.sourceforge.net/ for links to both and download
information.

While it's not mandatory to have a great knowledge of MH to use MH-E,
it can help. See the online edition of the MH book at
http://www.ics.uci.edu/~mh/book/.

Thanks for your interest in MH-E!

* Re: [MH-E] Eorror: Install MH and run install-mh before running MH-E
@ 2006-04-23 17:10         ` Henrik Enberg
From: Henrik Enberg @ 2006-04-23 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> writes:

> By the way, which system are you using? Which version of MH? Which
> version of MH-E? If you're using Debian or Ubuntu, you can just
> install the MH-E package.

FWIW, I've seen several systems where the mh executables are installed
in a subdirectory of /usr/bin, so they're not avalible in $PATH.  I
think Debian is one of them.

* Re: [MH-E] Eorror: Install MH and run install-mh before running MH-E
@ 2006-04-23 17:12         ` Leon
From: Leon @ 2006-04-23 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> writes:

> Leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I did but I can't find install-mh in my system.
>
> It's in the directory in which you installed MH.
>
> By the way, which system are you using? Which version of MH? Which
> version of MH-E? If you're using Debian or Ubuntu, you can just
> install the MH-E package. Otherwise, if you're using anything but CVS
> Emacs, you're using an ANCIENT version of MH-E and you definitely want
> to get the latest.
>
> Please consider joining the mh-e-users mailing list and check out the
> Getting Started chapter in the manual. See
> http://mh-e.sourceforge.net/ for links to both and download
> information.
>
> While it's not mandatory to have a great knowledge of MH to use MH-E,
> it can help. See the online edition of the MH book at
> http://www.ics.uci.edu/~mh/book/.
>
> Thanks for your interest in MH-E!

I'm running Emacs 23. The mh-e version is 7.93+cvs. It comes with
emacs and doesn't have install-mh at all.

Actually I was starting with the manual of mh-e but because of this
issue I can't try out mh-e.

--
Leon

Emacs: GNU Emacs 23.0.0.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.8.17) of
2006-04-18

* Re: [MH-E] Eorror: Install MH and run install-mh before running MH-E
@ 2006-04-23 17:32           ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2006-04-23 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Henrik Enberg <henrik.enberg@telia.com> wrote:

> Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> writes:
>
> > By the way, which system are you using? Which version of MH? Which
> > version of MH-E? If you're using Debian or Ubuntu, you can just
> > install the MH-E package.
>
> FWIW, I've seen several systems where the mh executables are installed
> in a subdirectory of /usr/bin, so they're not avalible in $PATH.  I
> think Debian is one of them.

Actually, the MH binaries are installed in their own directory on pretty
much all systems:

(defvar mh-sys-path
  '("/usr/local/nmh/bin"                ; nmh default
    "/usr/local/bin/mh/"
    "/usr/local/mh/"
    "/usr/bin/mh/"                      ; Ultrix 4.2, Linux
    "/usr/new/mh/"                      ; Ultrix < 4.2
    "/usr/contrib/mh/bin/"              ; BSDI
    "/usr/pkg/bin/"                     ; NetBSD
    "/usr/local/bin/"
    "/usr/local/bin/mu-mh/"             ; GNU mailutils - default
    "/usr/bin/mu-mh/")                  ; GNU mailutils - packaged
  "List of directories to search for variants of the MH variant.
The list `exec-path' is searched in addition to this list.
There's no need for users to modify this list. Instead add extra
directories to the customizable variable `mh-path'.")

* Re: [MH-E] Eorror: Install MH and run install-mh before running MH-E
@ 2006-04-23 17:35           ` Leon
From: Leon @ 2006-04-23 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henrik Enberg <henrik.enberg@telia.com> writes:

> Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> writes:
>
>> By the way, which system are you using? Which version of MH? Which
>> version of MH-E? If you're using Debian or Ubuntu, you can just
>> install the MH-E package.
>
> FWIW, I've seen several systems where the mh executables are installed
> in a subdirectory of /usr/bin, so they're not avalible in $PATH.  I
> think Debian is one of them.

I'm sure all executables are available in $PATH. I just pulled out
emacs CVS:

in emacs/lisp/mh-e:

,------------------
| ChangeLog      mh-comp.el      mh-junk.el    mh-seq.el
| ChangeLog.1    mh-e.el         mh-letter.el  mh-show.el
| CVS            mh-folder.el    mh-limit.el   mh-speed.el
| mh-acros.el    mh-funcs.el     mh-mime.el    mh-thread.el
| mh-alias.el    mh-gnus.el      mh-print.el   mh-tool-bar.el
| mh-buffers.el  mh-identity.el  mh-scan.el    mh-utils.el
| mh-compat.el   mh-inc.el       mh-search.el  mh-xface.el

It seems no install-mh. Any idea?

--
Leon