all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* getting emacs icon in gnome
@ 2010-03-30 11:37 rustom
From: rustom @ 2010-03-30 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I used to use emacs from my distro (usually debian or ubuntu)
Then I started compiling my own emacs
Then I thought -- Why keep the distro version -- And removed it.

Now Ive no emacs icon for the bar at the top of gnome.
Can someone tell me how to set the icon?

* Re: getting emacs icon in gnome
@ 2010-03-30 13:20 ` Roger Mason
From: Roger Mason @ 2010-03-30 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

rustom <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> I used to use emacs from my distro (usually debian or ubuntu)
> Then I started compiling my own emacs
> Then I thought -- Why keep the distro version -- And removed it.
>
> Now Ive no emacs icon for the bar at the top of gnome.
> Can someone tell me how to set the icon?

Here's what I did to get the emacs icon on the Applications menu

(1) Right click on Applications.
(2) Select Edit Menus
(3) Select the sub-menu that contains the entry for Emacs
(4) Select the entry for Emacs & right-click it
(5) Select Properties
(6) Click on the icon that appears on the left side of the dialogue box
    that pops up.
(7) The file selector that pops up may contain the emacs icon, but you
    may have to browse around in other directories to see the icon you
    want. On my Gentoo system it is in
    usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/

Hope this helps,
Roger

* Re: getting emacs icon in gnome
@ 2010-03-30 18:57   ` rustom
From: rustom @ 2010-03-30 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 30, 6:20 pm, Roger Mason <rma...@mun.ca> wrote:
> rustom <rustompm...@gmail.com> writes:
> > I used to use emacs from my distro (usually debian or ubuntu)
> > Then I started compiling my own emacs
> > Then I thought -- Why keep the distro version -- And removed it.
>
> > Now Ive no emacs icon for the bar at the top of gnome.
> > Can someone tell me how to set the icon?
>
> Here's what I did to get the emacs icon on the Applications menu
>
> (1) Right click on Applications.
> (2) Select Edit Menus
> (3) Select the sub-menu that contains the entry for Emacs
> (4) Select the entry for Emacs & right-click it
> (5) Select Properties
> (6) Click on the icon that appears on the left side of the dialogue box
>     that pops up.
> (7) The file selector that pops up may contain the emacs icon, but you
>     may have to browse around in other directories to see the icon you
>     want. On my Gentoo system it is in
>     usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/
>
> Hope this helps,
> Roger

There is no more any emacs in the OS's side of things -- applications
edit menus etc
Also I cant see any edit menus in applications here under debian (and
I think ubuntu as well)

emacs is under my $HOME which is in my path so calling emacs from the
shell works
So I created a gnome launcher which put some generic icon.
I want to change that to the emacs icon
I am unable to do so

* Re: getting emacs icon in gnome
@ 2010-03-31  6:27     ` rustom
From: rustom @ 2010-03-31  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 30, 11:57 pm, rustom <rustompm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 30, 6:20 pm, Roger Mason <rma...@mun.ca> wrote:
>

> > rustom <rustompm...@gmail.com> writes:
> > > I used to use emacs from my distro (usually debian or ubuntu)
> > > Then I started compiling my own emacs
> > > Then I thought -- Why keep the distro version -- And removed it.
>
> > > Now Ive no emacs icon for the bar at the top of gnome.
> > > Can someone tell me how to set the icon?
>
> > Here's what I did to get the emacs icon on the Applications menu
>
> > (1) Right click on Applications.
> > (2) Select Edit Menus
> > (3) Select the sub-menu that contains the entry for Emacs
> > (4) Select the entry for Emacs & right-click it
> > (5) Select Properties
> > (6) Click on the icon that appears on the left side of the dialogue box
> >     that pops up.
> > (7) The file selector that pops up may contain the emacs icon, but you
> >     may have to browse around in other directories to see the icon you
> >     want. On my Gentoo system it is in
> >     usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/
>
> > Hope this helps,
> > Roger
>
> There is no more any emacs in the OS's side of things -- applications
> edit menus etc
> Also I cant see any edit menus in applications here under debian (and
> I think ubuntu as well)
>
> emacs is under my $HOME which is in my path so calling emacs from the
> shell works
> So I created a gnome launcher which put some generic icon.
> I want to change that to the emacs icon
> I am unable to do so

Replying to my own question:
Ive got it working (without really knowing what how)
There are all sorts of icons under my/emacs/install/path/23.1/etc/
images/icons
I could not get gnome to look there
So I copied some emacs.svg to the gnome icon directory
No luck
Then I copied copied another emacs.png to (another) gnome directory
For sometime the icon changed to a strange shell like icon
Then suddenly it changed to the correct E-with-pen. (I guess
restarting gnome would have done it)
Now I find that png file in the (first) gnome directory with (other)
svg files