all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* function call location
@ 2018-05-22  7:25 akrl
From: akrl @ 2018-05-22  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,
How can I get the location of a function call in emacs lisp?
I would like to record (for a certain number of function I can
instrument) every function call and its location into the source.

Bests

  akrl

--
akrl@sdf.org
SDF Public Access UNIX System - https://sdf.org

* Re: function call location
@ 2018-05-22 16:08 ` akrl
From: akrl @ 2018-05-22 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

akrl <akrl@sdf.org> writes:

> Hi all,
> How can I get the location of a function call in emacs lisp?
> I would like to record (for a certain number of function I can
> instrument) every function call and its location into the source.
>
> Bests
>
>   akrl

Hi,
just to be more clear, say we have:

(defun f1 ()
  (message
   (concat "f1 called at line " (int-to-string(line-number-at-pos)))))

(defun f2 ()
  (message
   (concat "f2 called at line  "(int-to-string(line-number-at-pos)))))

(progn
  (f1)
  (f2))

As output I have:

f1 called at line 11
f2 called at line 11

But I would like to to get:

f1 called at line 10
f2 called at line 11

Bests

  akrl

--

@ 2018-05-22 21:28   ` akrl
From: akrl @ 2018-05-22 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

For now the only solution I've found is to mimic how I would have done it in C.
So I instrument my functions like:

(defun f1 (line)
  (message
   (concat "f1 called at line  " (int-to-string line))))

And I call it like:

(f1 __line__)

Instead of evaluating in the original buffer I use this expand-and-eval-buffer:

(defun expand-line-n ()
  (progn
    (goto-char 0)
    (while (search-forward "__line__" nil t)
      (replace-match (int-to-string (line-number-at-pos))))))

(defun expand-and-eval-buffer ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((orig-buffer (current-buffer)))
    (with-temp-buffer
      (insert-buffer-substring orig-buffer)
      (expand-line-n)
      (eval-buffer))))

I'm wondering if there's a better way in order to the preprocessor approach.

Bests

  akrl