all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#25962: Emacs IDE
@ 2017-03-04  0:39 Ahmed Sorour
From: Ahmed Sorour @ 2017-03-04  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 25962

I've recently been working more extensively with various coding languages,
and have developed a need to use IDEs.

Is it possible to configure Emacs to act as a complete replacement for:

- Atom or Sublime (for Python)
- IntelliJ IDEA (for Java)

Aside from project management, I'm also interested in a setup where I can
call Emacs to launch with one configuration when working with Java, and
another configuration when working with Python, etc.

Best Regards,
--
Ahmed Sorour
P: +1 (617) 710-6251 (mobile)

* bug#25962: Emacs IDE
@ 2017-03-04  0:50 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2017-03-04  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ahmed Sorour; +Cc: 25962

IMO this question is too broad for a bug report, so I'm going to close
the associated issue in the tracker. That doesn't stop anyone from
replying though. The help-gnu-emacs list would probably have been a
better place for this.

* bug#25962: Emacs IDE
@ 2017-03-06 14:32 ` Filipp Gunbin
From: Filipp Gunbin @ 2017-03-06 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ahmed Sorour; +Cc: 25962

For Java, the short answer is "no".

You can try CEDET, various modes for Java (malabar, old jde, etc.), but
AFAIK they'll not just "replace" IntelliJ as you'd expect it.  And there
is a justification for that - IntelliJ requires a lot of resources, it
eats RAM, indexes everything and is generally slow.  The good news is
that in Emacs you can use clever text editing facilities, record a macro
/ write a function for whatever you want (like generating
getters/setters).

Debugger is available as `jdb' in emacs unified debugger - `gud'.
Command-line compilation and stepping through errors is, of course,
available as usual with `M-x compile'.

Perhaps other people will tell more about tight integration.

Filipp