all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* 23.1 Breaks my Copy/Paste on Mac OS 10.5
@ 2009-11-13 16:30 Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2009-11-13 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs

Hello Everyone,

I've been running a Beta of 23 (installed via MacPorts) for roughly a
year and recently upgraded to 23.1 (again via MacPorts).  Since
upgrading I've had very strange issues with the clipboard/kill ring on
my Mac (on Windoze at work everything works fine and dandy).

The first issue that I noticed was a report that I was using an
unsupported pasteboard type.  I have no idea what that means and I
didn't change the configuration of my machine so I don't know why it
would only have begun to show up now.  I then switched over to the
development version (emacs-app-devel) and got the exact same error.
It doesn't even copy on to the kill ring.

Searches for pasteboard using C-h a and C-h r i yielded nothing.

What can I do to get this resolved as I've essentially been without
Emacs since this happened, at least at home.

Thanks in advance!

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.

http://burningones.com/
http://five.sentenc.es/ - Spend less time on e-mail

* Re: 23.1 Breaks my Copy/Paste on Mac OS 10.5
@ 2009-11-13 17:45 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2009-11-13 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

See this: http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.bugs/32415

* Re: 23.1 Breaks my Copy/Paste on Mac OS 10.5
@ 2009-11-16 15:06   ` Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2009-11-16 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> wrote:
> See this: http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.bugs/32415

So this is an unresolved bug, then?  What have you been doing as a
work around?  Just using 22.3?

--

@ 2009-11-16 16:41     ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2009-11-16 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2009-11-16 15:06 +0000, Tim Visher wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> wrote:
>> See this: http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.bugs/32415
>
> So this is an unresolved bug, then?  What have you been doing as a
> work around?  Just using 22.3?

(setq save-interprogram-paste-before-kill nil)

Leo

* Re: 23.1 Breaks my Copy/Paste on Mac OS 10.5
@ 2009-11-20 15:52       ` Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2009-11-20 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 11:41 AM, Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2009-11-16 15:06 +0000, Tim Visher wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> See this: http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.bugs/32415
>>
>> So this is an unresolved bug, then?  What have you been doing as a
>> work around?  Just using 22.3?
>
> (setq save-interprogram-paste-before-kill nil)

Thanks for the response, Leo.

That doesn't seem to have solved my problem.  I can now kill text but
I can't yank it.  Same error.

Where does interprogram come from?  C-h a and C-h r i return nothing
for that query.

--

@ 2009-11-20 16:08         ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2009-11-20 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2009-11-20 15:52 +0000, Tim Visher wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 11:41 AM, Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> So this is an unresolved bug, then?  What have you been doing as a
>>> work around?  Just using 22.3?
>>
>> (setq save-interprogram-paste-before-kill nil)
>
> Thanks for the response, Leo.
>
> That doesn't seem to have solved my problem.  I can now kill text but
> I can't yank it.  Same error.
>
> Where does interprogram come from?  C-h a and C-h r i return nothing
> for that query.

interprogram means between emacs and other application on the system.
hmmm ... are you sure the variable save-interprogram-paste-before-kill
is nil?

* Re: 23.1 Breaks my Copy/Paste on Mac OS 10.5
@ 2009-11-20 17:30           ` Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2009-11-20 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2009-11-20 15:52 +0000, Tim Visher wrote:

>>> (setq save-interprogram-paste-before-kill nil)
>>
>> Thanks for the response, Leo.
>>
>> That doesn't seem to have solved my problem.  I can now kill text but
>> I can't yank it.  Same error.
>>
>> Where does interprogram come from?  C-h a and C-h r i return nothing
>> for that query.
>
> interprogram means between emacs and other application on the system.
> hmmm ... are you sure the variable save-interprogram-paste-before-kill
> is nil?

Completely.

--

@ 2009-11-20 22:47             ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2009-11-20 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2009-11-20 17:30 +0000, Tim Visher wrote:
>> interprogram means between emacs and other application on the system.
>> hmmm ... are you sure the variable save-interprogram-paste-before-kill
>> is nil?
>
> Completely.

In that case, it could be a bug similar to the one I've reported. Could
you follow up my bug report and describe the steps to reproduce it?

Cheers,

Leo

* Re: 23.1 Breaks my Copy/Paste on Mac OS 10.5
@ 2010-01-15  1:07               ` Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2010-01-15  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Leo,

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 5:47 PM, Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2009-11-20 17:30 +0000, Tim Visher wrote:
>>> interprogram means between emacs and other application on the system.
>>> hmmm ... are you sure the variable save-interprogram-paste-before-kill
>>> is nil?
>>
>> Completely.
>
> In that case, it could be a bug similar to the one I've reported. Could
> you follow up my bug report and describe the steps to reproduce it?

Forgive my extreme delay in replying to this but it just didn't go
anywhere last time I tried to mess around here so I had given up hope.
 I recently updated emacs-app-devel via MacPorts and continued to get
the same error that I described previously.  I was about to give up
hope again when I, on a whim, tried to open Emacs.app via Finder.app
instead of via Terminal.app as I'm usually wont to do.  Lo-and-behold,
everything works exactly as I was expecting.  I have no idea how to
explain this nor am I really good enough with Emacs to poke around and
find out.  I don't know how to do anything in the Emacs bug tracking
system either so I can't put this reply there.

Thanks for your help and how can we proceed about the bug?

--

@ 2010-01-15 20:29                 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2010-01-15 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Visher; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2010-01-15 01:07 +0000, Tim Visher wrote:
> Hi Leo,

>>> Completely.
>>
>> In that case, it could be a bug similar to the one I've reported. Could
>> you follow up my bug report and describe the steps to reproduce it?
>
> Forgive my extreme delay in replying to this but it just didn't go
> anywhere last time I tried to mess around here so I had given up hope.
>  I recently updated emacs-app-devel via MacPorts and continued to get
> the same error that I described previously.  I was about to give up
> hope again when I, on a whim, tried to open Emacs.app via Finder.app
> instead of via Terminal.app as I'm usually wont to do.  Lo-and-behold,
> everything works exactly as I was expecting.  I have no idea how to
> explain this nor am I really good enough with Emacs to poke around and
> find out.  I don't know how to do anything in the Emacs bug tracking
> system either so I can't put this reply there.
>
> Thanks for your help and how can we proceed about the bug?

The bug report is on http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=4871

To follow up, send email to 4871@debbugs.gnu.org.

I think Emacs should detect the clipboard has non-text object.

Best,

Leo