all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* word wrapping in a long document ?!?
@ 2010-05-02 17:36 William Case
From: William Case @ 2010-05-02 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Emacs Help List

Hi;

A question born out of frustration.  I have searched the info manual
etc.  Probably, mis-reading or mis-seeing.

I have a long text document that I have opened in emacs. It is almost
completely filled with fringe indicators showing no word wrapping.  I
have word-wrapping mode toggled on.  I can make sentences wrap for a
paragraph by entering return at the end of each paragraph.

Is there a command that will travel through the entire document and add
wrapping (remove fringe indicators) wherever needed.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 12, Gnome 2.28

* Re: word wrapping in a long document ?!?
@ 2010-05-02 18:10 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2010-05-02 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: William Case; +Cc: Emacs Help List

,----[ C-h f fill-region RET ]
| fill-region is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `fill.el'.
|
| It is bound to <menu-bar> <edit> <fill>.
|
| (fill-region FROM TO &optional JUSTIFY NOSQUEEZE TO-EOP)
|
| Fill each of the paragraphs in the region.
| A prefix arg means justify as well.
| Ordinarily the variable `fill-column' controls the width.
|
| Noninteractively, the third argument JUSTIFY specifies which
| kind of justification to do: `full', `left', `right', `center',
| or `none' (equivalent to nil).  A value of t means handle each
| paragraph as specified by its text properties.
|
| The fourth arg NOSQUEEZE non-nil means to leave whitespace other
| than line breaks untouched, and fifth arg TO-EOP non-nil means
| to keep filling to the end of the paragraph (or next hard newline,
| if variable `use-hard-newlines' is on).
|
| Return the fill-prefix used for filling the last paragraph.
|
| If `sentence-end-double-space' is non-nil, then period followed by one
| space does not end a sentence, so don't break a line there.
|
| [back]
`----

Leo

* Re: word wrapping in a long document ?!?
@ 2010-05-02 20:26   ` William Case
From: William Case @ 2010-05-02 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Leo; +Cc: Emacs Help List

Hi Leo;

Thank you.  As usual a stupidity.

On Sun, 2010-05-02 at 19:10 +0100, Leo wrote:
> On 2010-05-02 18:36 +0100, William Case wrote:
> > Hi;

I had being trying everything I could think of including the function
info you sent me.  It just didn't dawn on me to select the region first
i.e. the whole document first.  As soon as I saw your response, it was a
head-slapper.

Wasn't thinking properly -- a little outside prompt from you got both my
head and my fill-region working.

--

@ 2010-05-02 23:56     ` Ross A. Laird
From: Ross A. Laird @ 2010-05-02 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

William Case <billlinux@rogers.com> writes:

> Hi Leo;
>
> Thank you.  As usual a stupidity.
>
> On Sun, 2010-05-02 at 19:10 +0100, Leo wrote:
>> On 2010-05-02 18:36 +0100, William Case wrote:
>> > Hi;
>> >

> I had being trying everything I could think of including the function
> info you sent me.  It just didn't dawn on me to select the region first
> i.e. the whole document first.  As soon as I saw your response, it was a
> head-slapper.
>
> Wasn't thinking properly -- a little outside prompt from you got both my
> head and my fill-region working.

Have you considered visual-line-mode? It will properly align the
document without permanent wrapping (which you may or may not want). I
use visual-line-mode extensively, as it allows me to keep long,
single-line (single Emacs-line) paragraphs (for exporting), but allows
me to have a visually pleasing screen (no arrows).

Cheers.

Ross

--
Ross A. Laird, PhD