all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* a minor problem with AUCTEX. Please help.
@ 2010-01-18 22:00 Porky Pig
       [not found] ` <mailman.1712.1263921615.18930.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Porky Pig @ 2010-01-18 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I've been using EMACS+AUCTEX under Windows XP for many years, with
MikTeX, so I"m kind of familiar with its behavior.  A few days ago
I've downloaded the latest EMACS for Windows (23.1.1) + the latest
AUCTEX. Still Windows XP. Now the problem. I use Latex2E to process
the .tex fils and create the dvi. Now when there is a compilation
error, I press C-c C-` to look the error log. The screen gets split,
the error logs shows up in the lower windows, *but* the upper part is
empty. So I have to go to the buffer list and re-read the .tex file
into the upper window. Then the file shows up, with a cursor pointing
to the possible location of the error, as it should be.

Now with my old setup I had a similar situation on occasion: when
AUCTEX can't parse the error, so when I press C-c C-` I get the empty
buffer. With my new setup, however, it happens all the time Latex2e
detects the error.

I wonder whether there's some AUCTEX parameter I can tweak.

TIA.

(Note: I run portable MIKTEX, and I install and run EMACS+AUCTEX from
the same USB flash drive. Other than that problem I've described,
everything appears to work just fine, but, of course a bit slow.)

* Re: a minor problem with AUCTEX. Please help.
@ 2010-01-19 17:16 ` Leo
       [not found] ` <mailman.1712.1263921615.18930.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Leo @ 2010-01-19 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2010-01-18 22:00 +0000, Porky Pig wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been using EMACS+AUCTEX under Windows XP for many years, with
> MikTeX, so I"m kind of familiar with its behavior.  A few days ago
> I've downloaded the latest EMACS for Windows (23.1.1) + the latest
> AUCTEX. Still Windows XP. Now the problem. I use Latex2E to process
> the .tex fils and create the dvi. Now when there is a compilation
> error, I press C-c C-` to look the error log. The screen gets split,
> the error logs shows up in the lower windows, *but* the upper part is
> empty. So I have to go to the buffer list and re-read the .tex file
> into the upper window. Then the file shows up, with a cursor pointing
> to the possible location of the error, as it should be.
>
> Now with my old setup I had a similar situation on occasion: when
> AUCTEX can't parse the error, so when I press C-c C-` I get the empty
> buffer. With my new setup, however, it happens all the time Latex2e
> detects the error.
>
> I wonder whether there's some AUCTEX parameter I can tweak.
>
> TIA.
>
> (Note: I run portable MIKTEX, and I install and run EMACS+AUCTEX from
> the same USB flash drive. Other than that problem I've described,
> everything appears to work just fine, but, of course a bit slow.)

There was some fix on this issue. Could you try the AUCTeX devel version
from CVS?

Leo

@ 2010-01-19 20:14   ` Porky Pig
From: Porky Pig @ 2010-01-19 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jan 19, 12:16 pm, Leo <sdl....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2010-01-18 22:00 +0000, Porky Pig wrote:
>

> > Hello,
>
> > I've been using EMACS+AUCTEX under Windows XP for many years, with
> > MikTeX, so I"m kind of familiar with its behavior.  A few days ago
> > I've downloaded the latest EMACS for Windows (23.1.1) + the latest
> > AUCTEX. Still Windows XP. Now the problem. I use Latex2E to process
> > the .tex fils and create the dvi. Now when there is a compilation
> > error, I press C-c C-` to look the error log. The screen gets split,
> > the error logs shows up in the lower windows, *but* the upper part is
> > empty. So I have to go to the buffer list and re-read the .tex file
> > into the upper window. Then the file shows up, with a cursor pointing
> > to the possible location of the error, as it should be.
>
> > Now with my old setup I had a similar situation on occasion: when
> > AUCTEX can't parse the error, so when I press C-c C-` I get the empty
> > buffer. With my new setup, however, it happens all the time Latex2e
> > detects the error.
>
> > I wonder whether there's some AUCTEX parameter I can tweak.
>
> > TIA.
>
> > (Note: I run portable MIKTEX, and I install and run EMACS+AUCTEX from
> > the same USB flash drive. Other than that problem I've described,
> > everything appears to work just fine, but, of course a bit slow.)
>
> There was some fix on this issue. Could you try the AUCTeX devel version
> from CVS?
>
> Leo

Thanks! I'll give it a try tomorrow (Wednesday) and post the results.

My problem with AUCTEX: once you've tried it, it hard to switch to
anything else. So I'm stuck with it. :-)

* Re: a minor problem with AUCTEX. Please help.
@ 2010-01-20  9:07     ` David Kastrup
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1894.1264103574.18930.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Kastrup @ 2010-01-20  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Porky Pig <porky_pig_jr@my-deja.com> writes:

> On Jan 19, 12:16 pm, Leo <sdl....@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> There was some fix on this issue. Could you try the AUCTeX devel version
>> from CVS?
>
> Thanks! I'll give it a try tomorrow (Wednesday) and post the results.
>
> My problem with AUCTEX: once you've tried it, it hard to switch to
> anything else. So I'm stuck with it. :-)

It's an assembly of badly fitting half-functional duct-taped shiny parts
with erratic coverage.  Just like Emacs itself.

And just like with Emacs, the stuff it does cover are fabulous.  And
nothing else comes in the same league.  So you put up with the rest.

Hm, describes me pretty well, too.

--
David Kastrup

* Re: a minor problem with AUCTEX. Please help.
@ 2010-01-21  1:55     ` Porky Pig
From: Porky Pig @ 2010-01-21  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jan 19, 3:14 pm, Porky Pig <porky_pig...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> On Jan 19, 12:16 pm, Leo <sdl....@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On 2010-01-18 22:00 +0000, Porky Pig wrote:
>
> > > Hello,
>
> > > I've been using EMACS+AUCTEX under Windows XP for many years, with
> > > MikTeX, so I"m kind of familiar with its behavior.  A few days ago
> > > I've downloaded the latest EMACS for Windows (23.1.1) + the latest
> > > AUCTEX. Still Windows XP. Now the problem. I use Latex2E to process
> > > the .tex fils and create the dvi. Now when there is a compilation
> > > error, I press C-c C-` to look the error log. The screen gets split,
> > > the error logs shows up in the lower windows, *but* the upper part is
> > > empty. So I have to go to the buffer list and re-read the .tex file
> > > into the upper window. Then the file shows up, with a cursor pointing
> > > to the possible location of the error, as it should be.
>
> > > Now with my old setup I had a similar situation on occasion: when
> > > AUCTEX can't parse the error, so when I press C-c C-` I get the empty
> > > buffer. With my new setup, however, it happens all the time Latex2e
> > > detects the error.
>
> > > I wonder whether there's some AUCTEX parameter I can tweak.
>
> > > TIA.
>
> > > (Note: I run portable MIKTEX, and I install and run EMACS+AUCTEX from
> > > the same USB flash drive. Other than that problem I've described,
> > > everything appears to work just fine, but, of course a bit slow.)
>
> > There was some fix on this issue. Could you try the AUCTeX devel version
> > from CVS?
>
> > Leo
>
> Thanks! I'll give it a try tomorrow (Wednesday) and post the results.
>
> My problem with AUCTEX: once you've tried it, it hard to switch to
> anything else. So I'm stuck with it. :-)

Hello, the version of AUTEX we've been using is 11.85.e-23.1, that's
the latest precompliled version for Windows. I guess the only thing I
can find on CVS is the source code, and I can't compile, since I don't
have a compiler for Windows. Is there a precompiled development
version for Windows somewhere? If not, I guess I'll have to wait till
the next release is available.

Thanks,

 PPJ

* Re: a minor problem with AUCTEX. Please help.
@ 2010-01-21 19:52       ` Leo
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1894.1264103574.18930.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Leo @ 2010-01-21 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Kastrup; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2010-01-20 09:07 +0000, David Kastrup wrote:
> It's an assembly of badly fitting half-functional duct-taped shiny parts
> with erratic coverage.  Just like Emacs itself.
>
> And just like with Emacs, the stuff it does cover are fabulous.  And
> nothing else comes in the same league.  So you put up with the rest.
>
> Hm, describes me pretty well, too.

It is almost two years since last release. I wonder if you see the
release of 11.86 soon.

Best,
Leo

@ 2010-01-21 19:54         ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2010-01-21 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2010-01-20 09:07 +0000, David Kastrup wrote:
>> It's an assembly of badly fitting half-functional duct-taped shiny parts
>> with erratic coverage.  Just like Emacs itself.
>>
>> And just like with Emacs, the stuff it does cover are fabulous.  And
>> nothing else comes in the same league.  So you put up with the rest.
>>
>> Hm, describes me pretty well, too.
>
> It is almost two years since last release. I wonder if you see the
> release of 11.86 soon.

What do you expect from it?

--
David Kastrup

* Re: a minor problem with AUCTEX. Please help.
@ 2010-01-21 20:03       ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2010-01-21 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2010-01-21 01:55 +0000, Porky Pig wrote:
> Hello, the version of AUTEX we've been using is 11.85.e-23.1, that's
> the latest precompliled version for Windows. I guess the only thing I
> can find on CVS is the source code, and I can't compile, since I don't
> have a compiler for Windows. Is there a precompiled development
> version for Windows somewhere? If not, I guess I'll have to wait till
> the next release is available.

I checked the ChangeLog and found this:

2009-09-13  Ralf Angeli  <angeli@caeruleus.net>

        * TeX-buf.el (TeX-error): Cater for case of file:line:error
        messages without ConTeXt.
        (TeX-parse-error): Add support for quoted file names with
        backslashes as path separators.  Those might be emitted by
        MiKTeX
        2.8.

which I think may help your problem.

I don't use windows so I have little idea how you can get an updated
precompiled AUCTeX. But I believe compiling AUCTeX on windows is not too
difficult.

Leo

* Re: a minor problem with AUCTEX. Please help.
@ 2010-01-22 20:40           ` Porky Pig
From: Porky Pig @ 2010-01-22 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jan 21, 2:54 pm, David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> wrote:

> > It is almost two years since last release. I wonder if you see the
> > release of 11.86 soon.
>
> What do you expect from it?
>
> --
> David Kastrup

Well, the minimal requirement *I* would like to see in the next
release (or, at least, in the next available download) is the fixes of
some bugs considered sufficiently important. I don't know if the bug
I've mentioned in the beginning of this posting is considered as such,
but I find it quite annoying when after each compile error, when I
split the screen, the upper half, where the *.tex file should be, is
empty, so I have to read it from the buffer. Something which wasn't in
the whatever version of AUCTEX I used before.

Another, relatively minor problem I have encountered so far (I've been
only using the latest AUCTEX for about a week) is the following.
Suppose I put some formulas into \begin{align*}  \end{align*}
brackets. The formulas got highlighted with whatever color I like for
math. Now if later on I've decided to change align*, say, to gather*,
everything inside gets "un-highlighted" to a regular black color. Not
a big deal, but a bit annoying as well.

PPJ.

* Re: a minor problem with AUCTEX. Please help.
@ 2010-01-23  0:26           ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2010-01-23  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2010-01-21 19:54 +0000, David Kastrup wrote:
>> It is almost two years since last release. I wonder if you see the
>> release of 11.86 soon.
>
> What do you expect from it?

I am confused with your question. How do you mean?

Leo

* Re: a minor problem with AUCTEX. Please help.
@ 2010-01-23  0:36             ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2010-01-23  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2010-01-23 00:26 +0000, Leo wrote:
> On 2010-01-21 19:54 +0000, David Kastrup wrote:
>>> It is almost two years since last release. I wonder if you see the
>>> release of 11.86 soon.
>>
>> What do you expect from it?
>
> I am confused with your question. How do you mean?
>
> Leo

If you mean new features in the devel version, I think AUCTeX has more
package styles and a few new features along with bug fixes.

Leo

@ 2010-03-06  0:25   ` Porky Pig
From: Porky Pig @ 2010-03-06  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jan 19, 12:16 pm, Leo <sdl....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2010-01-18 22:00 +0000,PorkyPig wrote:
>

> > Hello,
>
> > I've been using EMACS+AUCTEXunder Windows XP for many years, with
> > MikTeX, so I"m kind of familiar with its behavior.  A few days ago
> > I've downloaded the latest EMACS for Windows (23.1.1) + the latest
> >AUCTEX. Still Windows XP. Now the problem. I use Latex2E to process
> > the .tex fils and create the dvi. Now when there is a compilation
> > error, I press C-c C-` to look the error log. The screen gets split,
> > the error logs shows up in the lower windows, *but* the upper part is
> > empty. So I have to go to the buffer list and re-read the .tex file
> > into the upper window. Then the file shows up, with a cursor pointing
> > to the possible location of the error, as it should be.
>
> > Now with my old setup I had a similar situation on occasion: when
> >AUCTEXcan't parse the error, so when I press C-c C-` I get the empty
> > buffer. With my new setup, however, it happens all the time Latex2e
> > detects the error.
>
> > I wonder whether there's someAUCTEXparameter I can tweak.
>
> > TIA.
>
> > (Note: I run portable MIKTEX, and I install and run EMACS+AUCTEXfrom
> > the same USB flash drive. Other than that problem I've described,
> > everything appears to work just fine, but, of course a bit slow.)
>
> There was some fix on this issue. Could you try theAUCTeXdevel version
> from CVS?
>
> Leo

Well, I've just download the latest build (86) of auctex (about two
weks old), but the problem still persists. Apparently the fix if there
*was* a fix, never found its way to the latest build. Oh well ...