all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Pointer to docs: Run emacs remotely - display on localhost
@ 2013-08-09 15:10 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2013-08-09 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I once knew how to connect to an emacs-server running in X on a remote
host and have the display appear on the localhost host.  But I've
forgotten what little I knew about it.

Googling has produced a mass of different and mostly complicated stuff
that is a bit overwhelming to paw thru.

Can anyone briefly outline how that would be done in the following
case:

Both hosts are on a local home lan behind a firewall so security is
not a big concern.

Emacs-server running on remote Debian linux box under X.
Localhost is a openindiana Solaris box also running X.

So, the idea is to connect to the remote emacs server (debian host)
and have the display show up on localhost (solaris host)

In both cases the emacs installed is 24-3.

I do this all the time from a windows box using Xming tools but have
forgotten how to do it unix to linux.

A pointer to some good readable documentation would be really
appreciated too.

* Re: Pointer to docs: Run emacs remotely - display on localhost
       [not found] <mailman.2882.1376061323.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-08-09 18:32 ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2966.1376095198.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-08-09 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I once knew how to connect to an emacs-server running in X on a remote
> host and have the display appear on the localhost host.  But I've
> forgotten what little I knew about it.

Maybe:

   ssh -X remotemachine emacsclient -c
or
   ssh remotemachine emacsclient --display "localmachine:0"

-- Stefan

* Re: Pointer to docs: Run emacs remotely - display on localhost
@ 2013-08-10  0:36   ` Harry Putnam
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2966.1376095198.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Harry Putnam @ 2013-08-10  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> I once knew how to connect to an emacs-server running in X on a remote
>> host and have the display appear on the localhost host.  But I've
>> forgotten what little I knew about it.
>
> Maybe:
>
>    ssh -X remotemachine emacsclient -c
> or
>    ssh remotemachine emacsclient --display "localmachine:0"

Yup, its working.  Seem like I had to turn off the no-listen flag on X
for it to work.

@ 2013-08-11  2:51     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-08-11  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> ssh -X remotemachine emacsclient -c
>> or
>> ssh remotemachine emacsclient --display "localmachine:0"

> Yup, its working.  Seem like I had to turn off the no-listen flag on X
> for it to work.

The first should work even with no-listen.

* Re: Pointer to docs: Run emacs remotely - display on localhost
@ 2013-08-12 15:00       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2013-08-12 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>>> ssh -X remotemachine emacsclient -c
>>> or
>>> ssh remotemachine emacsclient --display "localmachine:0"
>
>> Yup, its working.  Seem like I had to turn off the no-listen flag on X
>> for it to work.
>
> The first should work even with no-listen.

I sort of vaguely remembered that is should... but didn't go back and
check.  I probably aught to reset that to no-listen.

I actually started out on this thread vaguely remembering something to
do with xhost...  But this method with ssh is really fast an my home
lan so it does the job... thanks