all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Tramp su from dired
@ 2009-05-23 23:11 notbob
From: notbob @ 2009-05-23 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

As a novice emacs fan, I'm learning by using emacs primarily as a file mgr
and file editor.  I often need to edit a root file as a user and have
usually just opened up a new session of emacs as root, but would like to
utilize the tramp mode.  I've been able to edit a root file from via tramp
when not in dired mode, but when using e (edit) or C-x C-f in dired and then
specifying a file -- /su::/dir/foo -- I end up opening a new foo file
instead of the existing foo file I specified.

Is it possible to do su from dired or should I just open up a non-dired
window?  If so, how?  (told you I was a noob)  ;)

nb

* Re: Tramp su from dired
@ 2009-05-24  2:03 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2009-05-24  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

notbob <notbob@nothome.com> writes:

> As a novice emacs fan, I'm learning by using emacs primarily as a file mgr
> and file editor.  I often need to edit a root file as a user and have
> usually just opened up a new session of emacs as root, but would like to
> utilize the tramp mode.  I've been able to edit a root file from via tramp
> when not in dired mode, but when using e (edit) or C-x C-f in dired and then
> specifying a file -- /su::/dir/foo -- I end up opening a new foo file
> instead of the existing foo file I specified.
>
> Is it possible to do su from dired or should I just open up a non-dired
> window?  If so, how?  (told you I was a noob)  ;)

Try

C-x C-f /root@localhost:/path/to/file/owned/by/root

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: Tramp su from dired
@ 2009-05-26 16:12   ` Peter FELECAN
From: Peter FELECAN @ 2009-05-26 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> writes:

> notbob <notbob@nothome.com> writes:
>
>> As a novice emacs fan, I'm learning by using emacs primarily as a file mgr
>> and file editor.  I often need to edit a root file as a user and have
>> usually just opened up a new session of emacs as root, but would like to
>> utilize the tramp mode.  I've been able to edit a root file from via tramp
>> when not in dired mode, but when using e (edit) or C-x C-f in dired and then
>> specifying a file -- /su::/dir/foo -- I end up opening a new foo file
>> instead of the existing foo file I specified.
>>
>> Is it possible to do su from dired or should I just open up a non-dired
>> window?  If so, how?  (told you I was a noob)  ;)
>>
> Try
>
> C-x C-f /root@localhost:/path/to/file/owned/by/root

Or C-x C-f /su::/path/to/file/owned/by/root
--
the true email address is encoded in an attempt to minimize spam.
pass csryrpna ng npz qbg bet through http://www.rot13.com/

* Re: Tramp su from dired
@ 2009-05-26 18:59     ` notbob
From: notbob @ 2009-05-26 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2009-05-26, Peter FELECAN <pfelecan@deadspam.com> wrote:

>> notbob <notbob@nothome.com> writes:

>>> when not in dired mode, but when using e (edit) or C-x C-f in dired and then
>>> specifying a file -- /su::/dir/foo -- I end up opening a new foo file
>>> instead of the existing foo file I specified.

> Or C-x C-f /su::/path/to/file/owned/by/root

If you'd read my post closely, you'd have realized I've already tried that
and it doesn't work.

nb

* Re: Tramp su from dired
@ 2009-05-26 19:00       ` notbob
From: notbob @ 2009-05-26 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2009-05-26, notbob <notbob@nothome.com> wrote:

> If you'd read my post closely, you'd have realized I've already tried that
> and it doesn't work.

Oh... but thank you for trying, anyway.  ;)

nb

* Re: Tramp su from dired
@ 2009-05-26 19:37 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2009-05-26 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notbob; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

notbob <notbob@nothome.com> writes:

> As a novice emacs fan, I'm learning by using emacs primarily as a file mgr
> and file editor.  I often need to edit a root file as a user and have
> usually just opened up a new session of emacs as root, but would like to
> utilize the tramp mode.  I've been able to edit a root file from via tramp
> when not in dired mode, but when using e (edit) or C-x C-f in dired and then
> specifying a file -- /su::/dir/foo -- I end up opening a new foo file
> instead of the existing foo file I specified.
>
> Is it possible to do su from dired or should I just open up a non-dired
> window?  If so, how?  (told you I was a noob)  ;)

If you open dired with "file" name /su::/dir you have the remote
directory listing for navigating like for local directories. Just
clicking on the file foo shall open that file.

> nb

Best regeads, Michael.

* Re: Tramp su from dired
@ 2009-05-29 12:23       ` Peter FELECAN
From: Peter FELECAN @ 2009-05-29 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

notbob <notbob@nothome.com> writes:

>> Or C-x C-f /su::/path/to/file/owned/by/root
>
> If you'd read my post closely, you'd have realized I've already tried
> that and it doesn't work.

Sorry for that.

Which version of Emacs and tramp are you using?