all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how the H*** tp get cvs-emacs?  (I use cmds given HERE!)
@ 2005-04-06 12:18 David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2005-04-06 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here's an attempt:

|  268 ==/dkcjunk==> cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs login
|  Logging in to :pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:2401/cvsroot/emacs
|  CVS password:

To which prompt I simply hit <return>.

After which it just sits there.
So, I finally hit a few returns, then said "xxx":

|  xxx
|  cvs [login aborted]: received interrupt signal
|  269 ==/dkcjunk==> 269 ==/dkcjunk==> xxx: Command not found.
|  270 ==/dkcjunk==> cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs -t EMACS_21_3 checkout emacs
|  Unknown command: `EMACS_21_3'
|
|  CVS commands are:
|          add          Add a new file/directory to the repository
|          admin        Administration front end for rcs
|          annotate     Show last revision where each line was modified
|          checkout     Checkout sources for editing
|          commit       Check files into the repository
|          diff         Show differences between revisions
|          edit         Get ready to edit a watched file
|          editors      See who is editing a watched file
|          export       Export sources from CVS, similar to checkout
|          history      Show repository access history
|          import       Import sources into CVS, using vendor branches
|          init         Create a CVS repository if it doesn't exist
|          log          Print out history information for files
|          login        Prompt for password for authenticating server
|          logout       Removes entry in .cvspass for remote repository
|          pserver      Password server mode
|          rannotate    Show last revision where each line of module was modified
|          rdiff        Create 'patch' format diffs between releases
|          release      Indicate that a Module is no longer in use
|          remove       Remove an entry from the repository
|          rlog         Print out history information for a module
|          rtag         Add a symbolic tag to a module
|          server       Server mode
|          status       Display status information on checked out files
|          tag          Add a symbolic tag to checked out version of files
|          unedit       Undo an edit command
|          update       Bring work tree in sync with repository
|          version      Show current CVS version(s)
|          watch        Set watches
|          watchers     See who is watching a file
|  (Specify the --help option for a list of other help options)
|   -> Lock_Cleanup()
|  271 ==/dkcjunk==>
|  271 ==/dkcjunk==>
|  271 ==/dkcjunk==>

I also tried it without the -t:

272 ==/dkcjunk==> cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs  checkout emacs

but it just sits there, doing nothing.

Any ideas, or other cmd-strings to try?

(Please, don't ask me to *learn* cvs -- the *only* use I
have for it is to get the "cvs" emacs!)

Thanks!

David

* Re: how the H*** tp get cvs-emacs?  (I use cmds given HERE!)
@ 2005-04-06 12:28 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-04-06 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 06.04.2005 um 14:18 schrieb David Combs:

> cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs login

You better try

cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs
cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs update emacs

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

   It's not the valleys in life I dread so much as the dips.
		-- 	Garfield

* Re: how the H*** tp get cvs-emacs?  (I use cmds given HERE!)
@ 2005-04-06 15:42 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-04-06 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> |  Logging in to :pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:2401/cvsroot/emacs

There is no more pserver access.
See http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=emacs

* Re: how the H*** tp get cvs-emacs?  (I use cmds given HERE!)
@ 2005-04-06 18:35 ` Jim Smith
From: Jim Smith @ 2005-04-06 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:

> Here's an attempt:
>

> |  268 ==/dkcjunk==> cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs login
> |  Logging in to :pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:2401/cvsroot/emacs
> |  CVS password:
>
> To which prompt I simply hit <return>.
>
> After which it just sits there.
> So, I finally hit a few returns, then said "xxx":

Did you do:

CVS_RSH="ssh"
export CVS_RSH

first?

* Re: how the H*** tp get cvs-emacs?  (I use cmds given HERE!)
@ 2005-04-06 19:14   ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2005-04-06 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <87zmwbap4l.fsf-monnier+gnu.emacs.help@gnu.org>,
Stefan Monnier  <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>> |  Logging in to :pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:2401/cvsroot/emacs
>
>There is no more pserver access.
>See http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=emacs
>

>        Stefan

Ok -- I went to cvshome.org, and saw this:

                                                  Domain home page (p2 of 2)
   Dec 29, 2004 [31]Texi2HTML 1.72 Released!
   Start... This site allows you to start and manage projects related to
   CVS.

   [32]Register | [33]Login

   Important News

   The cvshome site is currently being thoroughly cleaned as a direct
   result of an exploitative code set that attacks a cvs security
   violation. The publication of this code makes all sites running cvs
   with any remote protocol vulnerable. Use the following information to
   determine if your site is at risk and to access either a patch for
   this problem or a full source distribution with the fix included.

   We are sorry for any inconveniences you may be experiencing as a
   result of this downtime.

No last-modified-date in the header, but clearly was either
added (this msg) on or after 29dec04, or got added before
that date, but was at least seen (and left there) by whoever
added the 29dec04 cvs-released note.

Well, it's april 2005 now -- what do people do to get
a cvs-emacs these days?

  =======================================

Further, I myself (never before having any use for cvs, and probably
no use beyond grabbing a cvs-emacs) find confusing that cvs-emacs
news the first response to my post said I should go to.

All kinds of stuff about dowloading a *software* repository, vs
a *webpage* repository, with four choices:

4 lines matching "cvs -" in buffer cvs-news-as-of-6apr05.htm.
     77:cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co <modulename>
     82:cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/webcvs/emacs co <modulename>
     93:cvs -z3 -d <membername>@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co <modulename>
     99:cvs -z3 -d <membername>@savannah.gnu.org:/webcvs/emacs co emacs

Anyway, *all* I want to do is download a cvs-emacs.tar.gz -- I don't
care *where* it comes from -- preferably from wherever *you*, Stefan,
get your own from.

Please, I really don't want to spend time learning cvs and the
details about savannah (now hacked) or wherever -- just a
simple cookbook-like command that will get the darned thing (cvs-emacs).

Maybe, stefan, I can just grab YOUR copy?  (We could talk by phone
to synchronize the few seconds you chmod a+r your version with
my grabbing it somehow (via eg lynx's "g" cmd done at your web site).

(Can't someone make it *simple* to grab a cvs-emacs?  Like copy a good
version to some public site, no cvs needed to download it!  sure would
make it a bit more user-friendly!)

@ 2005-04-06 20:08     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-04-06 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 06.04.2005 um 21:14 schrieb David Combs:

> what do people do to get a cvs-emacs these days?

They do: cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs

or, to save some time and internet bandwidth: cvs -z3
-d:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs update emacs

If you want the source archived, do afterwards: tar cjf
emacs_22.0.50_CVS_`date +%Y-%m-%d`.tar.bz2 ./emacs.

--
Greetings

   Pete

* Re: how the H*** tp get cvs-emacs?  (I use cmds given HERE!)
@ 2005-04-06 20:20   ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2005-04-06 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <x67jjfda8l.fsf@gmail.com>,
Jim Smith  <3.141592six@gmail.com> wrote:
>dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:
>
>> Here's an attempt:
>>

>> |  268 ==/dkcjunk==> cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs login
>> |  Logging in to :pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:2401/cvsroot/emacs
>> |  CVS password:
>>
>> To which prompt I simply hit <return>.
>>
>> After which it just sits there.
>> So, I finally hit a few returns, then said "xxx":
>
>Did you do:
>
>CVS_RSH="ssh"
>export CVS_RSH
>
>first?

Thank you!

It worked!

Now to figure out how to "make" the thing!

  (any suggestions?)

Thanks so much!

@ 2005-04-06 20:55     ` Steinar Børmer
From: Steinar Børmer @ 2005-04-06 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Combs wrote:

| In article <x67jjfda8l.fsf@gmail.com>,
| Jim Smith  <3.141592six@gmail.com> wrote:
|
| >Did you do:
| >
| >CVS_RSH="ssh"
| >export CVS_RSH
| >
| >first?
|
| Thank you!
|
| It worked!
|
| Now to figure out how to "make" the thing!
|
|   (any suggestions?)

What attempts have you made?  Have you looked through the files that
look relevant in the directory that CVS fetched?

--
SB