all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to quiet down the beep
@ 2009-03-04  2:46 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2009-03-04  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

How can I quiet down the motherboard beeps I seem to get at a fierce
clip with I use emacs (Especially on OpenSolaris it seems).

Short of a real miracle where I become a proficient typist and emacs
adept .. I wonder if there is anything I can do about being beeped by
emacs for apparent infringements like trying to type in readonly
buffers or in the readonly part of the command area.

It gets really annoying after hours at the computer when fingers are
tired and even lazier than usual to get a constant stream of beeps
that I guess are coming from the motherboard.

I thought I might disable whatever it is in there.. but my board
manual doesn´t show where it is and I actually cannot pinpoint it by
sound even with the case off and ear as close as I can get.

Probably not a good idea to disable it anyway, but is there anything
to be done on the emacs end?

* How to quiet down the beep
@ 2009-03-04  2:46 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2009-03-04  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

How can I quiet down the motherboard beeps I seem to get at a fierce
clip with I use emacs (Especially on OpenSolaris it seems).

Short of a real miracle where I become a proficient typist and emacs
adept .. I wonder if there is anything I can do about being beeped by
emacs for apparent infringements like trying to type in readonly
buffers or in the readonly part of the command area.

It gets really annoying after hours at the computer when fingers are
tired and even lazier than usual to get a constant stream of beeps
that I guess are coming from the motherboard.

I thought I might disable whatever it is in there.. but my board
manual doesn´t show where it is and I actually cannot pinpoint it by
sound even with the case off and ear as close as I can get.

Probably not a good idea to disable it anyway, but is there anything
to be done on the emacs end?

* Re: How to quiet down the beep
       [not found] <mailman.2312.1236134810.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-03-04  5:51 ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2009-03-04  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Putnam; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2009-03-03 20:46 (-0600), Harry Putnam wrote:

> How can I quiet down the motherboard beeps I seem to get at a fierce
> clip with I use emacs (Especially on OpenSolaris it seems).

This depends on what kind of environment you run Emacs in. If it's a
text terminal, then perhaps it helps to add line

set bell-style visible

to your ~/.inputrc file. Now it will flash the terminal instead of
beeping.

@ 2009-03-04  5:59 ` Mathias Häbich
From: Mathias Häbich @ 2009-03-04  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I have the following in my .emacs:

  (setq ring-bell-function (lambda () (message "*beep*")))

It makes Emacs show "*beep*" in the minibuffer instead of beeping.

Some kind person whose name I can't remember suggested this some months
ago here in this group.

HTH,
Mathias

* Re: How to quiet down the beep
@ 2009-03-04  6:03   ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2009-03-04  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2009-03-04 06:59 (+0100), Mathias Häbich wrote:

> I have the following in my .emacs:
>
>   (setq ring-bell-function (lambda () (message "*beep*")))
>
> It makes Emacs show "*beep*" in the minibuffer instead of beeping.

And there is also:

,----[ C-h v visible-bell RET ]
| visible-bell is a variable defined in `C source code'.
| Its value is nil
|

| Documentation:
| *Non-nil means try to flash the frame to represent a bell.
|
| See also `ring-bell-function'.
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| [back]
`----

* RE: How to quiet down the beep
@ 2009-03-04 15:13   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-03-04 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Mathias "Häbich"', help-gnu-emacs

> I have the following in my .emacs:
>   (setq ring-bell-function (lambda () (message "*beep*")))
> It makes Emacs show "*beep*" in the minibuffer instead of beeping.
>
> Some kind person whose name I can't remember suggested this
> some months ago here in this group.

See also the alternative visual bell posted on this page:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MilesBader

* Re: How to quiet down the beep
@ 2009-03-04 15:48   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2009-03-04 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

m.haebich@gmx.de (Mathias Häbich) writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have the following in my .emacs:
>
>   (setq ring-bell-function (lambda () (message "*beep*")))
>
> It makes Emacs show "*beep*" in the minibuffer instead of beeping.

That is really great... thanks.  The frame flashing is almost as
aggravating as beeping.  This little function is just what the doctor
ordered.

* Re: How to quiet down the beep
@ 2009-03-04 16:10     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2009-03-04 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> See also the alternative visual bell posted on this page:
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MilesBader

Another nice way to silence that darn thing ... thanks