all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* AUC-TeX: jump to source position of warning
@ 2002-12-28 14:52 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-28 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

When running LaTeX on my document, I get a lot of warnings.  Is there
something I can do to jump to the source position corresponding to
such a warning?

For errors, C-c ` will do.  But for warnings?
--
Ambibibentists unite!

* Re: AUC-TeX: jump to source position of warning
@ 2002-12-28 14:58 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2002-12-28 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> When running LaTeX on my document, I get a lot of warnings.  Is there
> something I can do to jump to the source position corresponding to
> such a warning?
>
> For errors, C-c ` will do.  But for warnings?

Is C-c C-w what you want?

* Re: AUC-TeX: jump to source position of warning
@ 2002-12-28 15:23   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-28 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup <David.Kastrup@t-online.de> writes:

> Is C-c C-w what you want?

No, that jumps to some warnings only.  I'm sorry that I wasn't more
specific earlier.  Here is an example for a warning:

LaTeX Warning: Command \textasciitilde invalid in math mode on input line 159.

LaTeX Warning: Float too large for page by 67.93065pt on input line 573.
        (Maybe this one is caught by the bad boxes?)

LaTeX Warning: Marginpar on page 58 moved.

LaTeX Warning: Reference `def:schema' on page 71 undefined on input line 96.

Hm.  I guess one can't do anything about the marginpar warnings, as
there is no line number.

[time passes]

Oh, TeX-parse-TeX actually looks for "LaTeX Warning", but C-c `
nevertheless skips them for me.

Let me construct a small document that shows the problem and then
report to the AUC-TeX list.

--

@ 2002-12-28 15:41     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-28 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Let me construct a small document that shows the problem and then
> report to the AUC-TeX list.

It's not so easy to construct a document that produces

LaTeX Warning: Command \textasciitilde invalid in math mode on input line 106.

without also producing

! Please use \mathaccent for accents in math mode.
\add@accent ...@spacefactor \spacefactor }\accent
                                                  #1 #2\egroup \spacefactor ...
l.106 Show $\papieawild
                       $ warning.
! Missing { inserted.
<to be read again>
                   \egroup
l.106 Show $\papieawild
                       $ warning.
! You can't use `\spacefactor' in math mode.
\add@accent ...}\accent #1 #2\egroup \spacefactor
                                                  \accent@spacefactor
l.106 Show $\papieawild
                       $ warning.
(/usr/local/tetex/texmf/tex/latex/base/omscmr.fd)
! Missing } inserted.
<inserted text>
                }
l.106 Show $\papieawild$
                         warning.

Hm.  I wonder which of the 700 lines in my .sty file does this...

[time passes]

Ah!  Found it.  Will make another posting.

--

@ 2002-12-28 15:45   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-28 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup <David.Kastrup@t-online.de> writes:

> Is C-c C-w what you want?

Ah, after some time, I finally found out that C-c C-w indeed makes
C-c ` stop at the right spots.  However, it also stops at overfull
hboxes, and I have too many of those...

But it's good enough anyway.  Thanks a lot for your help, David!
--

@ 2002-12-29 17:59     ` Piet van Oostrum
From: Piet van Oostrum @ 2002-12-29 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

KG> David Kastrup <David.Kastrup@t-online.de> writes:
>> Is C-c C-w what you want?

KG> Ah, after some time, I finally found out that C-c C-w indeed makes
KG> C-c ` stop at the right spots.  However, it also stops at overfull
KG> hboxes, and I have too many of those...

Talking about too many warning stops: In certain cases when using PDFLaTeX
auctex's C-c ` stops at an error and shows the file pdftex.cfg
rather than the latex source file. Very annoying. This happens especially
when you have got duplicate bookmarks with the hyperref package, e.g.

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{hyperref}
\begin{document}
\begin{titlepage}
  Test
\end{titlepage}
Some text
\end{document}

An while I am complaining:
I would like auctex to recognize that I am using PDFLaTeX rather than
LaTeX and then:

- check the .pdf file rather than the .dvi file.
- Offer a different viewer for the pdf file
- switch to PDFLaTeX for the default command

I am willing to look into this but I wonder if anyone else has already
done something to get this working.
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet@cs.uu.nl>
Private email: P.van.Oostrum@hccnet.nl

* Re: AUC-TeX: jump to source position of warning
@ 2002-12-29 18:56       ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2002-12-29 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Piet van Oostrum <piet@cs.uu.nl> writes:

> And while I am complaining:
> I would like auctex to recognize that I am using PDFLaTeX rather than
> LaTeX and then:
>
> - check the .pdf file rather than the .dvi file.
> - Offer a different viewer for the pdf file
> - switch to PDFLaTeX for the default command
>
> I am willing to look into this but I wonder if anyone else has already
> done something to get this working.

There is not yet a good general solution, I think.  Please coordinate
your efforts with the auc-tex list, though.