all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How big is the GNU emacs CVS download?
@ 2003-02-09 17:38 Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2003-02-09 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

I.e., if I go to savannah.gnu.org and download the emacs CVS using
anonymous CVS, as per the instructions there, how many Megabytes will end
up being squeezed at high pressure through the somewhat thin cable
joining my modem to the telephone network?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter

* Re: How big is the GNU emacs CVS download?
@ 2003-02-09 22:16 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2003-02-09 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Mackenzie<none@example.invalid> writes:

> I.e., if I go to savannah.gnu.org and download the emacs CVS using
> anonymous CVS, as per the instructions there, how many Megabytes will end
> up being squeezed at high pressure through the somewhat thin cable
> joining my modem to the telephone network?

As a first approximation:

du -s /home/tmp/emacs
120696	/home/tmp/emacs

* Re: How big is the GNU emacs CVS download?
@ 2003-02-11 20:22   ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2003-02-11 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote on 09 Feb 2003 23:16:00 +0100:
> Alan Mackenzie<none@example.invalid> writes:

>> I.e., if I go to savannah.gnu.org and download the emacs CVS using
>> anonymous CVS, as per the instructions there, how many Megabytes will
>> end up being squeezed at high pressure through the somewhat thin cable
>> joining my modem to the telephone network?

> As a first approximation:

> du -s /home/tmp/emacs
> 120696	/home/tmp/emacs

Thanks, David.  Perhaps I'm going to have to find a friend with DSL and
a CD burner.

--

@ 2003-02-19 10:51   ` giacomo boffi
From: giacomo boffi @ 2003-02-19 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> Alan Mackenzie<none@example.invalid> writes:
>
> > I.e., if I go to savannah.gnu.org and download the emacs CVS using
> > anonymous CVS, as per the instructions there, how many Megabytes will end
> > up being squeezed at high pressure through the somewhat thin cable
> > joining my modem to the telephone network?
>
> As a first approximation:
>
> du -s /home/tmp/emacs
> 120696	/home/tmp/emacs

that's after the equivalent of a "make distclean"?

* Re: How big is the GNU emacs CVS download?
@ 2003-02-19 11:41     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2003-02-19 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

giacomo boffi <giacomo.boffi@polimi.it> writes:

> David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Alan Mackenzie<none@example.invalid> writes:
> >
> > > I.e., if I go to savannah.gnu.org and download the emacs CVS using
> > > anonymous CVS, as per the instructions there, how many Megabytes will end
> > > up being squeezed at high pressure through the somewhat thin cable
> > > joining my modem to the telephone network?
> >
> > As a first approximation:
> >
> > du -s /home/tmp/emacs
> > 120696	/home/tmp/emacs
>
> that's after the equivalent of a "make distclean"?

I am compiling in a separate directory.

* Re: How big is the GNU emacs CVS download?
@ 2003-02-19 15:03       ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2003-02-19 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> > du -s /home/tmp/emacs
>> > 120696	/home/tmp/emacs
>> that's after the equivalent of a "make distclean"?
> I am compiling in a separate directory.

Last I looked at it, many files were still built in the source
directories, even if you "compile in a separate dir".  E.g.
elc files, info files, leim files and a few more.  I know that
there have been a few changes in that area since, but I'd double
check the number anyway.

* Re: How big is the GNU emacs CVS download?
@ 2003-02-19 15:14         ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2003-02-19 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> writes:

> >> that's after the equivalent of a "make distclean"?
> > I am compiling in a separate directory.
>
> Last I looked at it, many files were still built in the source
> directories, even if you "compile in a separate dir".  E.g.
> elc files, info files, leim files and a few more.  I know that
> there have been a few changes in that area since, but I'd double
> check the number anyway.

But a make distclean costs so much time later on...  This was just
intended as a first estimate, the CVS archive managers would
certainly have a better estimate.

Apart from which, of course, you could do the make distclean yourself
and report back, too.

* Re: How big is the GNU emacs CVS download?
@ 2003-02-19 15:52           ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-02-19 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> Apart from which, of course, you could do the make distclean yourself
> and report back, too.

$ make distclean
[..elided..]
$ du -hs .
139M    .

--
A turnip curses Elvis

* Re: How big is the GNU emacs CVS download?
@ 2003-02-19 16:10             ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2003-02-19 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Großjohann wrote:

> $ make distclean
> [..elided..]
> $ du -hs .
> 139M    .

That's more than David reported originally (120696 bytes).
A fresh checkout of the HEAD gives me 78 MB of Emacs-goodness.
The RC branch is 67 MB - look at all that progress! :)

But since it ought to compress pretty well on transfer (?) that still
doesn't answer the OP's question. Does anyone know how to find out how
many bytes a CVS checkout has transferred?

* Re: How big is the GNU emacs CVS download?
@ 2003-02-19 19:44               ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2003-02-19 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Kai Großjohann wrote:
>> $ make distclean
>> [..elided..]
>> $ du -hs .
>> 139M    .

The difference might come from .#foo.N.M kind of things.
And ditclean probably doesn't remove .elc files either.  I'd rather
use `cvsclean' instead.  As for why I didn't do the work myself:
it takes too much time on my poor 266Mhz machine to rebuild all
those files.  I already provided a "20MB compressed" estimate based
on the size of the tarball for 21.2 (which includes elc files but doesn't
include some of the newly added files like the elisp manual).

* Re: How big is the GNU emacs CVS download?
@ 2003-02-20  9:33                 ` Oliver Scholz
From: Oliver Scholz @ 2003-02-20  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> writes:
[...]
> I already provided a "20MB compressed" estimate based on the size of
> the tarball for 21.2 (which includes elc files but doesn't include
> some of the newly added files like the elisp manual).
[...]

I had a fresh checkout a few days ago.  Because I wanted to transfer
it to another machine I made a tarball from it immediately, which I
have fortunately still lying around. I compressed it with "gzip -3":

[cvsroot] $ du -h emacs.tar.gz
22M	emacs.tar.gz

    Oliver
--