all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Determining desktop size?
@ 2005-03-16 16:47 PT
From: PT @ 2005-03-16 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Not the size of the emacs frame, the size of the whole graphical desktop.
Is it possible from elisp?

* Re: Determining desktop size?
@ 2005-03-16 16:52 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-03-16 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

PT <mailshield.gg@mailnull.com> writes:

> Not the size of the emacs frame, the size of the whole graphical
> desktop.  Is it possible from elisp?

C-h f display-pixel-height RET
C-h f display-pixel-width RET

* RE: Determining desktop size?
@ 2005-03-16 17:05 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2005-03-16 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Subject: Determining desktop size?
    Not the size of the emacs frame, the size of the whole
    graphical desktop. Is it possible from elisp?

Functions `x-display-pixel-width' and `x-display-pixel-height'.

* Re: Determining desktop size?
@ 2005-03-16 17:13   ` PT
From: PT @ 2005-03-16 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 17:52:21 +0100, David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:

> PT <mailshield.gg@mailnull.com> writes:
>
>> Not the size of the emacs frame, the size of the whole graphical
>> desktop.  Is it possible from elisp?
>
> C-h f display-pixel-height RET
> C-h f display-pixel-width RET

I swear I tried searching for it. :) I tried screen, desktop, but display
did not occur to me.
Thanks.

* Re: Determining desktop size?
@ 2005-03-16 17:20     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-03-16 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

PT <mailshield.gg@mailnull.com> writes:

> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 17:52:21 +0100, David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> PT <mailshield.gg@mailnull.com> writes:
>>
>>> Not the size of the emacs frame, the size of the whole graphical
>>> desktop.  Is it possible from elisp?
>>
>> C-h f display-pixel-height RET
>> C-h f display-pixel-width RET
>>

> I swear I tried searching for it. :) I tried screen, desktop, but
> display  did not occur to me.

You'll be glad to know that XEmacs calls this device-pixel-*, so you
probably would not have found it either.

* RE: Determining desktop size?
@ 2005-03-16 17:57   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2005-03-16 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

        Not the size of the emacs frame, the size of the whole
        graphical desktop. Is it possible from elisp?

    Functions `x-display-pixel-width' and `x-display-pixel-height'.

I should have mentioned that the newer names are the same without `x-'. If
you want your code to be usable by users of Emacs 20 as well as Emacs 21,
then use the "deprecated" names with `x-'; if not, use the new names without
it.

* Re: Determining desktop size?
@ 2005-03-16 22:55   ` John
From: John @ 2005-03-16 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup wrote:
> PT <mailshield.gg@mailnull.com> writes:
>
> > Not the size of the emacs frame, the size of the whole graphical
> > desktop.  Is it possible from elisp?
>
> C-h f display-pixel-height RET
> C-h f display-pixel-width RET
>
> --
> David Kastrup, Kriemhildstr. 15, 44793 Bochum

This function proves to be not "the size of the whole graphical
desktop" but instead "the size of the desktop when emacs started"!

At least as tested on emacs 21.1 running on Windows XP.  When I resize
the display during a run of emacs, later evaluations of
(display-pixel-width) return the earlier value, not the present size of
the display.

John

* Re: Determining desktop size?
@ 2005-03-16 23:25     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-03-16 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

"John" <jpwoodruff@irisinternet.net> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>> PT <mailshield.gg@mailnull.com> writes:
>>
>> > Not the size of the emacs frame, the size of the whole graphical
>> > desktop.  Is it possible from elisp?
>>
>> C-h f display-pixel-height RET
>> C-h f display-pixel-width RET
>>
>> --
>> David Kastrup, Kriemhildstr. 15, 44793 Bochum
>
> This function proves to be not "the size of the whole graphical
> desktop" but instead "the size of the desktop when emacs started"!
>
> At least as tested on emacs 21.1 running on Windows XP.  When I resize
> the display during a run of emacs, later evaluations of
> (display-pixel-width) return the earlier value, not the present size of
> the display.

File a bug report.

* Re: Determining desktop size?
@ 2005-03-19 18:26       ` John
From: John @ 2005-03-19 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup wrote:
> "John" <jpwoodruff@irisinternet.net> writes:
>
> > David Kastrup wrote:

> >> C-h f display-pixel-height RET
> >> C-h f display-pixel-width RET
> >>
> >> --
> >> David Kastrup, Kriemhildstr. 15, 44793 Bochum
> >
> > This function proves to be not "the size of the whole graphical
> > desktop" but instead "the size of the desktop when emacs started"!
> >
> > At least as tested on emacs 21.1 running on Windows XP.  When I
resize
> > the display during a run of emacs, later evaluations of
> > (display-pixel-width) return the earlier value, not the present
size of
> > the display.
>
> File a bug report.

I did that a couple days ago (at least I followed the emacs
instructions).   But I have not seen any sign of the report on
gnu.emacs.bug.

Is absense of the report on g.e.b. evidence that my attempt failed?  Or
is the process *supposed* to run "open loop"?

John