all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How do I check the latest version of Emacs out of CVS?
@ 2003-11-26  3:47 Dan Anderson
From: Dan Anderson @ 2003-11-26  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

        I  have  been   told  that  the  only  way   to  support  SMTP
authentication in emacs is to get  the CVS version.  I went to the GNU
Emacs web site, and found out the emacs commands to get it via CVS:

cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs login
cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs checkout emacs

        So,  like I was  told I  ran those  two commands  in sequence.
However, I didn't see any files in my CVSROOT, when I ran as both root
and an underpriviledged user.  At first all it did was output a number
of Us  followed by file names.   After that it just  output a sequence
like:

,----[ Just an example of all of the files
| cvs server: Updating emacs/man
| cvs server: Updating emacs/msdos
| cvs server: Updating emacs/notes
| cvs server: Updating emacs/nt
`--------------------------------------------

        What am I doing wrong, and why don't I see any files when I ls
my CVSROOT directory?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

* Re: How do I check the latest version of Emacs out of CVS?
@ 2003-11-26  5:24 ` Billy O'Connor
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Billy O'Connor @ 2003-11-26  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Anderson <dan@mathjunkies.com> writes:

>         I  have  been   told  that  the  only  way   to  support  SMTP
> authentication in emacs is to get  the CVS version.  I went to the GNU
> Emacs web site, and found out the emacs commands to get it via CVS:
>
> cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs login
> cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs checkout emacs
>
>         So,  like I was  told I  ran those  two commands  in sequence.
> However, I didn't see any files in my CVSROOT, when I ran as both root
> and an underpriviledged user.  At first all it did was output a number
> of Us  followed by file names.   After that it just  output a sequence
> like:
>
> ,----[ Just an example of all of the files
> | cvs server: Updating emacs/man

You should have a new subdirectory in whatever directory you ran the
checkout command in.  That's where the source gets put.

Billy

* Re: How do I check the latest version of Emacs out of CVS?
@ 2003-11-26  5:58   ` Dan Anderson
From: Dan Anderson @ 2003-11-26  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Billy O'Connor <billyoc@linuxfromscratch.org> writes:

> Dan Anderson <dan@mathjunkies.com> writes:
> You should have a new subdirectory in whatever directory you ran the
> checkout command in.  That's where the source gets put.

Ahhh...Thanks for the help.  I need some caffeine.  :-D

@ 2003-11-26  6:13 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-11-26  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> From: Dan Anderson <dan@mathjunkies.com>
> Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 03:47:45 GMT
>
> cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs login
> cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs checkout emacs
>
>         So,  like I was  told I  ran those  two commands  in sequence.
> However, I didn't see any files in my CVSROOT, when I ran as both root
> and an underpriviledged user.  At first all it did was output a number
> of Us  followed by file names.

That U means "Updated"--CVS tells you that this file was sent to your
local disk by the CVS server.  The file should be under the `emacs'
subdirectory of the directory where you invoked the "cvs checkout"
command.

> After that it just output a sequence like:
>
> ,----[ Just an example of all of the files
> | cvs server: Updating emacs/man
> | cvs server: Updating emacs/msdos
> | cvs server: Updating emacs/notes
> | cvs server: Updating emacs/nt
> `--------------------------------------------

That's because there's nothing to update, once you've checked out the
CVS tree, and as long as no new code is checked in by some developer.

>         What am I doing wrong

Nothing.  You should now have the CVS code checked out on your disk.

> and why don't I see any files when I ls my CVSROOT directory?

Where is your CVSROOT directory?

* Re: How do I check the latest version of Emacs out of CVS?
@ 2003-11-26 10:09 ` Rainer Volz
       [not found]   ` <mailman.627.1069851589.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Rainer Volz @ 2003-11-26 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Anderson <dan@mathjunkies.com> wrote in message news:<m265h7x02m.fsf@syr-24-59-76-83.twcny.rr.com>...
> I  have  been   told  that  the  only  way   to  support  SMTP
> authentication in emacs is to get  the CVS version.

Dan,
I had a  problem with SMTP AUTH too and followed the link
http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/emacs/emacs/lisp/mail/smtpmail.el?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
 from Simon Josefssons page
(http://josefsson.org/emacs-smtp-starttls.html). It leads directly to
smtpmail.el.Much simpler.

Hope this helps
Rainer

* Re: How do I check the latest version of Emacs out of CVS?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-11-26 11:54 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2003-11-26 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Anderson <dan@mathjunkies.com> writes:

>         I  have  been   told  that  the  only  way   to  support  SMTP
> authentication in emacs is to get  the CVS version.  I went to the GNU
> Emacs web site, and found out the emacs commands to get it via CVS:
>
> cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs login
> cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs checkout emacs
>
>         So,  like I was  told I  ran those  two commands  in sequence.
> However, I didn't see any files in my CVSROOT, when I ran as both root
> and an underpriviledged user.

Why should you?  The CVSROOT for this project stays on
subversions.gnu.org and is certainly not magically transferred to your
machine.  What you get is just a set of working files, in (and/or
below) your current directory.

* Re: How do I check the latest version of Emacs out of CVS?
@ 2003-11-26 11:58   ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]   ` <mailman.627.1069851589.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-11-26 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: mail@vrtprj.com (Rainer Volz)
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 26 Nov 2003 02:09:55 -0800
>
> I had a  problem with SMTP AUTH too and followed the link
> http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/emacs/emacs/lisp/mail/smtpmail.el?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
>  from Simon Josefssons page
> (http://josefsson.org/emacs-smtp-starttls.html). It leads directly to
> smtpmail.el.Much simpler.

Much simpler, but also more risky: the CVS version of smtpmail.el
might need updated versions of other files and might use extensions
and enhancements outside itself.

But if you are sure that in this particular case, there's no such
dependencies, then fetching smtpmail.el alone is indeed much simpler.

@ 2003-11-26 13:37     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-11-26 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@elta.co.il> writes:

>> From: mail@vrtprj.com (Rainer Volz)
>> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
>> Date: 26 Nov 2003 02:09:55 -0800
>>
>> I had a  problem with SMTP AUTH too and followed the link
>> http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/emacs/emacs/lisp/mail/smtpmail.el?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
>>  from Simon Josefssons page
>> (http://josefsson.org/emacs-smtp-starttls.html). It leads directly to
>> smtpmail.el.Much simpler.
>
> Much simpler, but also more risky: the CVS version of smtpmail.el
> might need updated versions of other files and might use extensions
> and enhancements outside itself.
>
> But if you are sure that in this particular case, there's no such
> dependencies, then fetching smtpmail.el alone is indeed much simpler.

sendmail.el and netrc.el are also needed from CVS, if you use
smtpmail.el.  At least some time ago, today even more files may be
required...

It would be nice of someone wanted to take over maintaining the
SASL/STARTTLS SMTP support for Emacs 21.3, I have problems even
keeping up with making it work in HEAD.  (The latest starttls.el
posted to gnu.emacs.sources being to first step to improve the
situation in HEAD, where it currently implicitly uses non-free
tools...)

@ 2003-11-26 14:54     ` Rainer Volz
From: Rainer Volz @ 2003-11-26 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@elta.co.il> wrote
> Much simpler, but also more risky: the CVS version of smtpmail.el
> might need updated versions of other files and might use extensions
> and enhancements outside itself.
>
> But if you are sure that in this particular case, there's no such
> dependencies, then fetching smtpmail.el alone is indeed much simpler.

Probably there are some dependencies. All I can say is that I only
downloaded the starttls package and smtpmail.el and it worked - with
Emacs 21.3.1 and Gnus 10.5.3 on Linux. Ok, not immediately :-) First I
had to overcome the port-string/number confusion by adding "port 25"
to the .authinfo entry for the server. Then it finally worked.

But it is a rather simple smtp server without many extensions. In
other cases the dependencies might be different.