all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* AucTeX
@ 2002-11-22 11:23 arthur.chereau
From: arthur.chereau @ 2002-11-22 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

With auctex, I'd like to keep an xdvi window showing the dvi corresponding to
the current emacs buffer.

For now, with (list "View" "%v " 'TeX-run-command nil t) in tex-site.el,
I can run xdvi from emacs, but then I need to close xdvi if I want to lauch
another compilation.

First, I'd like to keep the xdvi window always opened, that is:
- the first time I compile the source from emacs, emacs opens an xdvi window
  with the corresponding dvi
- I don't need to close xdvi to recompile
- when I recompile with auctex, xdvi updates the dvi

Now, I'd like the dvi shown by xdvi to always correspond to the emacs buffer:
- I compile a (La)TeX file as shown above; an xdvi window is opened
- I open another (La)TeX file in emacs
- when I compile it, xdvi automatically shows the dvi corresponding to the
  new emacs buffer

* Re: AucTeX
       [not found] <mailman.1037966837.10921.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-11-22 13:56 ` Stein A. Stromme
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Stein A. Stromme @ 2002-11-22 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

[arthur chereau]

| Hi,
|
| With auctex, I'd like to keep an xdvi window showing the dvi corresponding to
| the current emacs buffer.
|
| For now, with (list "View" "%v " 'TeX-run-command nil t) in tex-site.el,
| I can run xdvi from emacs, but then I need to close xdvi if I want to lauch
| another compilation.
|
| First, I'd like to keep the xdvi window always opened, that is:
| - the first time I compile the source from emacs, emacs opens an xdvi window
|   with the corresponding dvi
| - I don't need to close xdvi to recompile
| - when I recompile with auctex, xdvi updates the dvi

This is how things work for me, using the default out-of-the-box
configuration of auctex.  I just need to click in the xdvi window in
order to update it (which is a little annyoing, I agree).

| Now, I'd like the dvi shown by xdvi to always correspond to the emacs buffer:
| - I compile a (La)TeX file as shown above; an xdvi window is opened
| - I open another (La)TeX file in emacs
| - when I compile it, xdvi automatically shows the dvi corresponding to the
|   new emacs buffer

Why not have two xdvi windows instead?

Stein
--
Stein Arild Strømme            +47 55584825, +47 95801887
Universitetet i Bergen                  Fax: +47 55589672

@ 2002-11-22 14:49 ` Kester Clegg
From: Kester Clegg @ 2002-11-22 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

"arthur.chereau" <arthur.chereau@voila.fr> writes:

> First, I'd like to keep the xdvi window always opened, that is:
> - the first time I compile the source from emacs, emacs opens an xdvi window
>   with the corresponding dvi
> - I don't need to close xdvi to recompile
> - when I recompile with auctex, xdvi updates the dvi

xdvi should update as soon as you switch focus to it after compiling.
You shouldn't need to change the default settings.  You compile with C-c
C-c once, do it again and you get the option to view.  After that, you
can just compile and xdvi will update of its own accord.

Kester Clegg				Dept. of Computer Science,
Research Assistant (UTC)		University of York,
Tel (01904) 43 27 49			email: kester at cs.york.ac.uk

* Re: AucTeX
@ 2002-11-22 14:59 arthur.chereau
From: arthur.chereau @ 2002-11-22 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

> | First, I'd like to keep the xdvi window always opened, that is:
> | - the first time I compile the source from emacs, emacs opens an xdvi window
> |   with the corresponding dvi
> | - I don't need to close xdvi to recompile
> | - when I recompile with auctex, xdvi updates the dvi
>
> This is how things work for me, using the default out-of-the-box
> configuration of auctex.  I just need to click in the xdvi window in
> order to update it (which is a little annyoing, I agree).

Here's what I do:
- open the file
- C-c C-c      --> LaTeX
- C-c C-c      --> View (xdvi starts)
- modify the file and save it
- C-c C-c      --> LaTeX

Now I have:
Process `View' for document `test' running, kill it? (y or n) n
TeX-process-check: Cannot have two processes for the same document

@ 2002-11-22 16:30 ` Maarten Bergvelt
From: Maarten Bergvelt @ 2002-11-22 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <mailman.1037966837.10921.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
arthur.chereau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With auctex, I'd like to keep an xdvi window showing the dvi
> corresponding to the current emacs buffer.
>
> For now, with (list "View" "%v " 'TeX-run-command nil t) in
> tex-site.el, I can run xdvi from emacs, but then I need to close
> xdvi if I want to lauch another compilation.

I have
 (list "View" "xdvi -geometry 1010x690+0+0 -s 2 %s "
              'TeX-run-background t nil)

I think the TeX-run-background keeps it from asking if you want to
close it.

I put the xdvi window on another desktop and switch desktops between
emacs and xdvi. Works for me.

--
Maarten Bergvelt

* Re: AucTeX
       [not found] <mailman.1037966837.10921.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-11-24 14:43 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-24 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

"arthur.chereau" <arthur.chereau@voila.fr> writes:

> For now, with (list "View" "%v " 'TeX-run-command nil t) in tex-site.el,
> I can run xdvi from emacs, but then I need to close xdvi if I want to lauch
> another compilation.

The default entry appears to be

 ("View" "%v " TeX-run-silent t nil)

which works fine for me.

kai

* RE: AucTeX
@ 2002-11-25  7:09 Dmitri.Minaev
From: Dmitri.Minaev @ 2002-11-25  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

There's also Whizzytex+advi combination
(http://pauillac.inria.fr/whizzytex/) which Arthur could find useful. It
re-compiles the dvi automatically as you type. No need to switch focus to
and fro.

--
With best regards,
Dmitri Minaev

* AUCTeX
@ 2003-12-01 22:46 David Rasmussen
From: David Rasmussen @ 2003-12-01 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

How do I check if AUCTeX is already installed in my emacs?

/David

* Re: AUCTeX
@ 2003-12-01 23:07 ` Roodwriter
From: Roodwriter @ 2003-12-01 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Rasmussen wrote:

> How do I check if AUCTeX is already installed in my emacs?
>
> /David

Why not just type M-x latex-mode and see if you get it? The modeline will
say latex and your menu bar will change.

--Rod

__________

Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answered for Practical Consumers"
and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." Both are available at
http://www.rodwriterpublishing.com/index.html

To reply by e-mail, take the extra "o" out of the name.

* Re: AUCTeX
@ 2003-12-01 23:07 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2003-12-01 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Rasmussen <david.rasmussen@gmx.net> writes:

> How do I check if AUCTeX is already installed in my emacs?

When opening a TeX file, you have a "Command" menu.  If not, try
M-: (require 'tex-site) RET
in a fresh Emacs, and then check
C-h v AUC-TeX-version RET

* Re: AUCTeX
@ 2003-12-01 23:09   ` David Rasmussen
From: David Rasmussen @ 2003-12-01 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Roodwriter@core.com wrote:

> Why not just type M-x latex-mode and see if you get it? The modeline will
> say latex and your menu bar will change.

Because I am a total beginner, and know nothing about emacs and AUCTeX? :)

I got the LaTeX-mode, but how can I be sure that this is AUCTeX? Aren't
there other LaTeX-modes available?

/David

* Re: AUCTeX
@ 2003-12-01 23:13   ` David Rasmussen
From: David Rasmussen @ 2003-12-01 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup wrote:

> When opening a TeX file, you have a "Command" menu.

I have a TeX-menu?

> If not, try
> M-: (require 'tex-site) RET

Gives errors.

> in a fresh Emacs, and then check
> C-h v AUC-TeX-version RET

Gives errors too. The AUC-TeX-version variable isn't defined. So I am
not running AUCTeX, or what? But what mode am I running then? I _does_
say (LaTeX Fill) in the modeline, and there is a TeX-menu.

/David

* Re: AUCTeX
@ 2003-12-01 23:32     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2003-12-01 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Rasmussen <david.rasmussen@gmx.net> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
> > When opening a TeX file, you have a "Command" menu.
>
> I have a TeX-menu?
>
> > If not, try
> > M-: (require 'tex-site) RET
>
> Gives errors.
>
> > in a fresh Emacs, and then check
> > C-h v AUC-TeX-version RET
> >

> Gives errors too. The AUC-TeX-version variable isn't defined. So I am
> not running AUCTeX, or what? But what mode am I running then? I _does_
> say (LaTeX Fill) in the modeline, and there is a TeX-menu.

AUCTeX is a very much enhanced LaTeX mode.  It is not bundled with
Emacs, and even in XEmacs (where typically older versions of it are
bundled), you have to explicitly activate it.

Everybody will tell you "you want to use AUCTeX" when you are writing
LaTeX code.

* Re: AUCTex
@ 2006-04-04 21:12               ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-04-04 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> writes:

> Anyway, the main question is: Do AUCTeX maintainers want to
> integrate it in Emacs anytime soon? (Or at all?)

I answered that question already in the previous post, but you snipped
the reply.  AUCTeX is not going to be integrated into Emacs anytime
soon due to outstanding copyright assignments, and the process of
collecting them is progressing rather slowly.

* Re: AUCTex
@ 2006-04-05 19:41                 ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2006-04-05 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

  > Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> writes:
  >
  > > Anyway, the main question is: Do AUCTeX maintainers want to
  > > integrate it in Emacs anytime soon? (Or at all?)
  >
  > I answered that question already in the previous post, but you snipped
  > the reply.  AUCTeX is not going to be integrated into Emacs anytime
  > soon due to outstanding copyright assignments, and the process of
  > collecting them is progressing rather slowly.

So what is the way forward for this?
What can be done to improve the situation?

Would distributing AUCTeX like leim was distributed in previous emacs
versions help? (i.e. leim distributed separately, but it could be
unpacked in the emacs source tree and compiled and installed
together). Just an idea...

* Re: AUCTex
@ 2006-04-05 19:53                   ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-04-05 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> writes:

> David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:
>
>   > Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> writes:
>   >
>   > > Anyway, the main question is: Do AUCTeX maintainers want to
>   > > integrate it in Emacs anytime soon? (Or at all?)
>   >
>   > I answered that question already in the previous post, but you snipped
>   > the reply.  AUCTeX is not going to be integrated into Emacs anytime
>   > soon due to outstanding copyright assignments, and the process of
>   > collecting them is progressing rather slowly.
>
> So what is the way forward for this?
> What can be done to improve the situation?

Basically collecting assignments.

> Would distributing AUCTeX like leim was distributed in previous
> emacs versions help? (i.e. leim distributed separately, but it could
> be unpacked in the emacs source tree and compiled and installed
> together). Just an idea...

AUCTeX is a separate project and works with a variety of Emacsen.  It
is also released more often than every 5 years or so.  I don't think
that at the current point of time there is much room for improvement.
It might be possible to create a tarball for dropping into an Emacs
tree before compiling and autoload generation (which is somewhat
similar to what we do to create an XEmacs package).  But I don't see
it change the situation much.

* Auctex
@ 2006-09-15 18:21 moheb
From: moheb @ 2006-09-15 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I noticed significant delay in keyboard repeat say with the space key while
 typing in emacs. I think this is a problem with Auctex. Anyone has the same
 experience? Any workaround?

Thanks,

Moheb

* Re: Auctex
       [not found] <mailman.6993.1158353013.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-09-16 10:10 ` Ralf Angeli
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2006-09-16 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

* moheb@cybermesa.com (2006-09-15) writes:

> I noticed significant delay in keyboard repeat say with the space key while
>  typing in emacs. I think this is a problem with Auctex. Anyone has the same
>  experience? Any workaround?

Are there unmatched quotation marks or math switches in the document?
Does it get better if you disable font locking?

--
Ralf