Since the change involved only the interactive usage, and apart from \# as a symbol in replacement expressions only makes hitherto illegal input legal, it should have no effect whatsoever on code stability. I think that the functionality is user-accessible to a degree by now that it would make sense mentioning it also in the Emacs manual, in case people agree it is a worthwhile addition. Personally, I think this functionality is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but then I am obviously prejudiced. -- David Kastrup, Kriemhildstr. 15, 44793 Bochum