all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* LaTex on windows
@ 2003-06-23 16:26 Peter Lee
From: Peter Lee @ 2003-06-23 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm taking a stab at learning LaTex for some docs I need to write on
windows.  I took a sample and hit C-c C-v to view and got the message
"tex-view: You must set `tex-dvi-view-command'".  I'm assuming I need
an external viewer.  Can emacs not preview latex files?  If not, is
there a "standard" viewer that those on windows use for previewing?

TIA.

* Re: LaTex on windows
@ 2003-06-23 17:14 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.8484.1056389918.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-06-23 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> From: Peter Lee <pete_lee@swbell.net>
> Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 16:26:17 GMT
>
> I'm taking a stab at learning LaTex for some docs I need to write on
> windows.  I took a sample and hit C-c C-v to view and got the message
> "tex-view: You must set `tex-dvi-view-command'".  I'm assuming I need
> an external viewer.  Can emacs not preview latex files?

Google for the preview-latex package: it's an Emacs package for doing
what you want.

> If not, is
> there a "standard" viewer that those on windows use for previewing?

There's a Windows port of xdvi (I think it's available as part of the
fpTeX package, which is a suite of Windows ports of TeX-related
programs).

* Re: LaTex on windows
@ 2003-06-23 17:29 ` Marcus Frings
       [not found] ` <mailman.8484.1056389918.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Marcus Frings @ 2003-06-23 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Peter Lee <pete_lee@swbell.net> wrote:

> I'm taking a stab at learning LaTex for some docs I need to write on
> windows.  I took a sample and hit C-c C-v to view and got the message
> "tex-view: You must set `tex-dvi-view-command'".  I'm assuming I need
> an external viewer.  Can emacs not preview latex files?  If not, is
> there a "standard" viewer that those on windows use for previewing?

Well, there is some kind of preview: You could use David Kastrup's
preview-latex but you need a CVS Emacs for windows because the stable
release of windows Emacs does not support images:
<http://preview-latex.sourceforge.net/>

I would suggest that you install MikTeX and AUC TeX by following this
instruction <http://www.math.auc.dk/~dethlef/Tips/> and then use
MikTeX's DVI-viewer.

Regards,
Marcus
--
"Lungenzüge tief ins Leere
keinen Klepper, keine Mähre

* Re: LaTex on windows
       [not found] ` <mailman.8484.1056389918.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-06-23 17:57   ` Peter Lee
From: Peter Lee @ 2003-06-23 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Marcus> Well, there is some kind of preview: You could use David
    Marcus> Kastrup's preview-latex but you need a CVS Emacs for
    Marcus> windows because the stable release of windows Emacs does
    Marcus> not support images:
    Marcus> <http://preview-latex.sourceforge.net/>

Right, I just tried installing auctex and then preview-latex... and I
get the error "png not supported".

    Marcus> I would suggest that you install MikTeX and AUC TeX by
    Marcus> following this instruction
    Marcus> <http://www.math.auc.dk/~dethlef/Tips/> and then use
    Marcus> MikTeX's DVI-viewer.

I'll do that.  Thanks a bunch.

* Re: LaTex on windows
       [not found] ` <mailman.8484.1056389918.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-06-23 19:58   ` Peter Lee
From: Peter Lee @ 2003-06-23 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Marcus> I would suggest that you install MikTeX and AUC TeX by
    Marcus> following this instruction
    Marcus> <http://www.math.auc.dk/~dethlef/Tips/> and then use
    Marcus> MikTeX's DVI-viewer.

I took your suggestion and went this route.  I installed auctex
11.13, and the latest version of miktex.  I found a sample tex doc and
created a file called test.ltx and copied it in there.

It looks like this:

    \documentclass[a4paper,12pt]{article}
    \begin{document}

    The foundations of the rigorous study of \emph{analysis}
    were laid in the nineteenth century, notably by the
    mathematicians Cauchy and Weierstrass. Central to the
    study of this subject are the formal definitions of
    \emph{limits} and \emph{continuity}.

    Let $D$ be a subset of $\bf R$ and let
    $f \colon D \to \mathbf{R}$ be a real-valued function on
    $D$. The function $f$ is said to be \emph{continuous} on
    $D$ if, for all $\epsilon > 0$ and for all $x \in D$,
    there exists some $\delta > 0$ (which may depend on $x$)
    such that if $y \in D$ satisfies
    \[ |y - x| < \delta \]
    then
    \[ |f(y) - f(x)| < \epsilon. \]

    One may readily verify that if $f$ and $g$ are continuous
    functions on $D$ then the functions $f+g$, $f-g$ and
    $f.g$ are continuous. If in addition $g$ is everywhere
    non-zero then $f/g$ is continuous.

    \end{document}

I compiled (C-c C-c) and then viewed the results (C-c C-l) which was:

    Running `LaTeX' on `test' with ``latex --src-specials \nonstopmode\input{test.ltx}''
    This is TeX, Version 3.141592 (MiKTeX 2.3)
    ! I can't find file `nonstopmodeinput{test.ltx}'.
    <*> nonstopmodeinput{test.ltx}

    Please type another input file name:

My emacs with respect to auctex looks like this:

    (add-to-list 'Info-default-directory-list "e:/packages/auctex-11.13/doc/")
    (setq load-path (cons "e:/packages/auctex-11.13" load-path))
    (require 'tex-site)
    (autoload 'reftex-mode     "reftex" "RefTeX Minor Mode" t)
    (autoload 'turn-on-reftex  "reftex" "RefTeX Minor Mode" nil)
    (autoload 'reftex-citation "reftex-cite" "Make citation" nil)
    (autoload 'reftex-index-phrase-mode "reftex-index" "Phrase mode" t)
    (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'turn-on-reftex) ; with AUCTeX LaTeX mode
    (add-hook 'latex-mode-hook 'turn-on-reftex) ; with Emacs latex mode

Any ideas?  Even if this were to compile I haven't specified yet what
viewer to use as I didn't see where in the auctex customize area.

Thanks again.

* Re: LaTex on windows
@ 2003-06-23 20:09     ` Bijan Soleymani
From: Bijan Soleymani @ 2003-06-23 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Lee <pete_lee@swbell.net> writes:

>     Marcus> Well, there is some kind of preview: You could use David
>     Marcus> Kastrup's preview-latex but you need a CVS Emacs for
>     Marcus> windows because the stable release of windows Emacs does
>     Marcus> not support images:
>     Marcus> <http://preview-latex.sourceforge.net/>
>
> Right, I just tried installing auctex and then preview-latex... and I
> get the error "png not supported".

You can download a precompiled CVS emacs from my website:
http://www.crasseux.com/emacs/

Bijan

* Re: LaTex on windows
@ 2003-06-24  6:56 Urban Gabor
From: Urban Gabor @ 2003-06-24  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

You may find a lot of TeX/Latex related stuff on CTAN
(www.ctan.org) the Comprehensive Tex Archive Network. There
is a full Win32 port of the TeX system. The name is MIKTEX
if I remember well.....

Good luck.

BTW you should try emTeX for dos prompt. It's really cool.

Gabaux
Linux is like a wigwam: no gates, no windows, and an apache
inside!

* Re: LaTex on windows
@ 2003-06-25 19:42     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2003-06-25 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Lee <pete_lee@swbell.net> writes:

> I compiled (C-c C-c) and then viewed the results (C-c C-l) which was:
>
>     Running `LaTeX' on `test' with ``latex --src-specials \nonstopmode\input{test.ltx}''
>     This is TeX, Version 3.141592 (MiKTeX 2.3)
>     ! I can't find file `nonstopmodeinput{test.ltx}'.
>     <*> nonstopmodeinput{test.ltx}

It would appear that your command shell is not one typical for
Windows, and so the unquoted backslashes cause it to barf.  You might
want to change tex-mik.el or the respective variables accordingly.

> Any ideas?  Even if this were to compile I haven't specified yet what
> viewer to use as I didn't see where in the auctex customize area.

TeX-view-style