all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to get rid of the tool bar
@ 2003-01-17  1:17 Zaphod Beeblebrox
From: Zaphod Beeblebrox @ 2003-01-17  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

I can't find an answer in the FAQ nor anywhere else I've looked:

I've used some of the functionality of GnuEmacs for the last 10 years
or so but I've never found the toolbar thing that appeared relatively
recently to be of any use.  What's more, I can't figure out what I can
do to stop it taking up space.

Thanks.

* Re: How to get rid of the tool bar
@ 2003-01-17  1:19 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2003-01-17  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Zaphod Beeblebrox <kagyukid@despam.yahoo.com> writes:

> I can't find an answer in the FAQ nor anywhere else I've looked:
>
> I've used some of the functionality of GnuEmacs for the last 10 years
> or so but I've never found the toolbar thing that appeared relatively
> recently to be of any use.  What's more, I can't figure out what I can
> do to stop it taking up space.

10 years, and you have not yet had the idea to read the NEWS file?
If I am not mistaken, it is even announced on the splash screen.  It
will tell you what is new, and how to disable it, too.

* Re: How to get rid of the tool bar
@ 2003-01-17  2:29 ` Christopher J. White
From: Christopher J. White @ 2003-01-17  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've got the following in my .emacs:

(setq default-frame-alist `((minibuffer . t)
                              (menu-bar-lines . 0)
                              (tool-bar-lines . 0)
                              (background-mode . dark)
                              (top . 60)
                              (left . 60)
                              (height . ,default-frame-height)
                              (cursor-color . "white")
                              (foreground-color . "white")
                              (background-color . "black")
                              ))

I think you can also use (tool-bar-mode nil) but I don't know if that works
for all frames.

...cj

 Christopher J. White                                    chris@grierwhite.com

* Re: How to get rid of the tool bar
@ 2003-01-17  2:40 ` Andrew Brehaut
From: Andrew Brehaut @ 2003-01-17  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
> I can't find an answer in the FAQ nor anywhere else I've looked:
>
> I've used some of the functionality of GnuEmacs for the last 10 years
> or so but I've never found the toolbar thing that appeared relatively
> recently to be of any use.  What's more, I can't figure out what I can
> do to stop it taking up space.
>
> Thanks.

the less emacs-y way of removing it is with some Xresource settings - i
think man emacs has it in there somewhere; of course this approach
requires you to restart emacs after running xrdb

Andrew

* Re: How to get rid of the tool bar
@ 2003-01-17  3:29   ` Zaphod Beeblebrox
From: Zaphod Beeblebrox @ 2003-01-17  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 14:19:17 +1300, David Kastrup wrote:

> Zaphod Beeblebrox <kagyukid@despam.yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> I can't find an answer in the FAQ nor anywhere else I've looked:
>>
>> I've used some of the functionality of GnuEmacs for the last 10 years
>> or so but I've never found the toolbar thing that appeared relatively
>> recently to be of any use.  What's more, I can't figure out what I can
>> do to stop it taking up space.
>
> 10 years, and you have not yet had the idea to read the NEWS file? If I

I *did* say *some* of the functionality.

It's only some because I've not spent the time wading into the
plethora of stuff Emacs is capable of.  I couldn't make use of the
information in the NEWS file (I don't even use the menus at the top).
All those references to lisp code assume knowledge I don't have and
don't help if I don't know where to use them.  My .emacs file doesn't
have any define-key statements, so I was reluctant to tinker with
structures I don't understand.  Most ideas I find to do things I'm
interested in seem to work in rather different ways, so I haven't
figured out a method in the madness yet.  Evidently, the NEWS file is
not referring to stuff for .Xdefaults which might have been a good
place to do something to achieve my aim.

However, adding the line

 (tool-bar-mode nil)

to my .emacs file is very simple and works fine for my purposes.
Thanks to Christopher J. White.

> am not mistaken, it is even announced on the splash screen.  It will
> tell you what is new, and how to disable it, too.

You are mistaken: it's not on the splash screen.

best

* Re: How to get rid of the tool bar
@ 2003-01-17  3:30   ` Zaphod Beeblebrox
From: Zaphod Beeblebrox @ 2003-01-17  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 15:29:28 +1300, Christopher J. White wrote:

> I've got the following in my .emacs:
>
> (setq default-frame-alist `((minibuffer . t)
>                               (menu-bar-lines . 0)
>                               (tool-bar-lines . 0)
>                               (background-mode . dark)
>                               (top . 60)
>                               (left . 60)
>                               (height . ,default-frame-height)
>                               (cursor-color . "white")
>                               (foreground-color . "white")
>                               (background-color . "black")
>                               ))
>

> I think you can also use (tool-bar-mode nil) but I don't know if that
> works for all frames.

(tool-bar-mode nil) works everywhere I've tried it.

@ 2003-01-17 11:38     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2003-01-17 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Zaphod Beeblebrox <kagyukid@despam.yahoo.com> writes:

[NEWS]

> > am not mistaken, it is even announced on the splash screen.  It will
> > tell you what is new, and how to disable it, too.
>
> You are mistaken: it's not on the splash screen.

Yup, but at least it is up there in the "Help" menu.  Really, it is
the thing to use when something has changed to your dislike, since a
plain text search will usually be successful.  Digging the stuff up
in the other documentations is more work, since the new stuff is far
more spread out there.

* Re: How to get rid of the tool bar
@ 2003-01-17 17:33     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-17 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Zaphod Beeblebrox <kagyukid@despam.yahoo.com> writes:

> It's only some because I've not spent the time wading into the
> plethora of stuff Emacs is capable of.  I couldn't make use of the
> information in the NEWS file (I don't even use the menus at the
> top).

What does the NEWS file have to do with the menus at the top?

> All those references to lisp code assume knowledge I don't have and
> don't help if I don't know where to use them.

The NEWS file is divided into sections.  You can just skip the Lisp
stuff.  Here is the part about the toolbar.  I found it by searching
for "tool" in the NEWS file.

/----
| ** Tool bar support.
|
| Emacs supports a tool bar at the top of a frame under X.  For details
| of how to define a tool bar, see the page describing Lisp-level
| changes.  Tool-bar global minor mode controls whether or not it is
| displayed and is on by default.  The appearance of the bar is improved
| if Emacs has been built with XPM image support.  Otherwise monochrome
| icons will be used.
|
| To make the tool bar more useful, we need contributions of extra icons
| for specific modes (with copyright assignments).
\----

It says that "tool-bar global minor mode" allows you to turn it off.
What's a minor mode?  I do C-h i d m Emacs RET to open the Emacs
manual, then type i for an index search, then "minor mode" as the
search string.  This gives me a couple of false positives, but just
hitting comma (as instructed) finally brings me to the node
"(emacs)Minor Modes" which has the following:

/----
|    Minor modes are optional features which you can turn on or off.  For
| example, Auto Fill mode is a minor mode in which <SPC> breaks lines
| between words as you type.  All the minor modes are independent of each
| other and of the selected major mode.  Most minor modes say in the mode
| line when they are on; for example, `Fill' in the mode line means that
| Auto Fill mode is on.
|
|    Append `-mode' to the name of a minor mode to get the name of a
| command function that turns the mode on or off.  Thus, the command to
| enable or disable Auto Fill mode is called `M-x auto-fill-mode'.  These
| commands are usually invoked with `M-x', but you can bind keys to them
| if you wish.  With no argument, the function turns the mode on if it was
| off and off if it was on.  This is known as "toggling".  A positive
| argument always turns the mode on, and an explicit zero argument or a
| negative argument always turns it off.
\----

So, M-x auto-fill-mode RET turns on (or off) auto fill mode.  So what
is the command for turning on (or off) tool-bar mode?

> My .emacs file doesn't have any define-key statements, so I was
> reluctant to tinker with structures I don't understand.

What does the tool-bar have to do with define-key statements?
--
Ambibibentists unite!

* Re: How to get rid of the tool bar
@ 2003-01-19 21:26       ` Zaphod Beeblebrox
From: Zaphod Beeblebrox @ 2003-01-19 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 06:33:19 +1300, Kai Großjohann wrote:

> Zaphod Beeblebrox <kagyukid@despam.yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> It's only some because I've not spent the time wading into the plethora
>> of stuff Emacs is capable of.  I couldn't make use of the information
>> in the NEWS file (I don't even use the menus at the top).
>
> What does the NEWS file have to do with the menus at the top?

That's where I eventually found the NEWS file.

>> All those references to lisp code assume knowledge I don't have and
>> don't help if I don't know where to use them.
>
> The NEWS file is divided into sections.  You can just skip the Lisp
> stuff.  Here is the part about the toolbar.  I found it by searching for
> "tool" in the NEWS file.
>
> /----
> | ** Tool bar support.
> |
> | Emacs supports a tool bar at the top of a frame under X.  For details
> | of how to define a tool bar, see the page describing Lisp-level |
> changes.  Tool-bar global minor mode controls whether or not it is |
> displayed and is on by default.  The appearance of the bar is improved |
> if Emacs has been built with XPM image support.  Otherwise monochrome |
> icons will be used.
> |
> | To make the tool bar more useful, we need contributions of extra icons
> | for specific modes (with copyright assignments). \----
>
> It says that "tool-bar global minor mode" allows you to turn it off.

So it does.  Evidently, my eyes glazed over when I saw that Lisp-level
stuff and moved further down to the item definition stuff.

> What's a minor mode?  I do C-h i d m Emacs RET to open the Emacs manual,
> then type i for an index search, then "minor mode" as the search string.
>  This gives me a couple of false positives, but just hitting comma (as
> instructed) finally brings me to the node "(emacs)Minor Modes" which has

THAT's what is meant by 'more'.  I didn't think of it as more matches
but rather more of the stuff we'd been looking at. .. DUH.

[ ... ]

> So, M-x auto-fill-mode RET turns on (or off) auto fill mode.  So what is
> the command for turning on (or off) tool-bar mode?

and by extension, what do I put in the .emacs file?  Quite clear now
how Christopher White's suggestion works.

>> My .emacs file doesn't have any define-key statements, so I was
>> reluctant to tinker with structures I don't understand.
>
> What does the tool-bar have to do with define-key statements?

Well, perhaps foolishly, I noticed this

*** Tool bar item definitions

Tool bar items are defined using `define-key' with a prefix-key
`tool-bar'.  For example `(define-key global-map [tool-bar item1] ITEM)'
where ITEM is a list `(menu-item CAPTION BINDING PROPS...)'.

So, I thought I'd have to work out how to use that to do what I wanted
to.  It's obvious now that the tool bar item is not the tool bar
itself so I was, yet again, barking up the wrong tree.

I greatly appreciate your taking the time to point me in a more
sensible direction.  Delving into Emacs to me is a bit like looking at
the wires at the back of the control panel in a large aircraft.
There's no way I'll come to grips with all the things going on.  Emacs
is only my means to using the software I use every day which itself
takes a large effort to keep up with to a usable extent.  There's also
the need to spend quite some time reconfiguring each time there's a
new version of Linux.  Lots of new ideas aren't backward compatible
with earlier versions that I'd got used to, so it doesn't leave much
time to get into the amazing things Emacs itself is capable of.

best

* Re: How to get rid of the tool bar
@ 2003-01-20  6:47         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-20  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Zaphod Beeblebrox <kagyukid@despam.yahoo.com> writes:

> THAT's what is meant by 'more'.  I didn't think of it as more matches
> but rather more of the stuff we'd been looking at. .. DUH.

Do you think it should say `press comma for next match' instead?
Though that might make the line too long in some cases.  Hm.

>> So, M-x auto-fill-mode RET turns on (or off) auto fill mode.  So what is
>> the command for turning on (or off) tool-bar mode?
>
> and by extension, what do I put in the .emacs file?  Quite clear now
> how Christopher White's suggestion works.

I don't know what Christopher said, but the following turns on
auto-fill in all text-like modes:

(add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)

I wish this was customizable.  Hm.

> I greatly appreciate your taking the time to point me in a more
> sensible direction.  Delving into Emacs to me is a bit like looking at
> the wires at the back of the control panel in a large aircraft.
> There's no way I'll come to grips with all the things going on.  Emacs
> is only my means to using the software I use every day which itself
> takes a large effort to keep up with to a usable extent.  There's also
> the need to spend quite some time reconfiguring each time there's a
> new version of Linux.  Lots of new ideas aren't backward compatible
> with earlier versions that I'd got used to, so it doesn't leave much
> time to get into the amazing things Emacs itself is capable of.

Yes, I understand.  Hm.  It's hard to explain, but it seems to me
that after a while, one sees how the Emacs maintainers think and from
then on it's much easier to find new stuff in Emacs.  So I keep
trying to give some examples to show what Emacs is like, hoping that
this will help beyond the concrete example that I'm giving.

For example, I searched for "tool" because it's not clear whether it
should be tool-bar or tool bar or toolbar.
--
Ambibibentists unite!

* Re: How to get rid of the tool bar
@ 2003-01-20  7:34           ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-20  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> I don't know what Christopher said, but the following turns on
> auto-fill in all text-like modes:
>
> (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)
>
> I wish this was customizable.  Hm.

It is customizable, it seems: under Options, select the right option
and then do Save Options.
--
Ambibibentists unite!

* Re: How to get rid of the tool bar
@ 2003-01-20 11:05           ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2003-01-20 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> I don't know what Christopher said, but the following turns on
> auto-fill in all text-like modes:
>
> (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)
>
> I wish this was customizable.  Hm.

***Pooof***  Your wish has been granted.

In your Options menu, "Word wrap in text modes" has appeared.

* Re: How to get rid of the tool bar
@ 2003-01-20 11:08             ` Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2003-01-20 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 20 Jan 2003, David Kastrup wrote:

>  kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
> > I don't know what Christopher said, but the following turns on
> > auto-fill in all text-like modes:
> >
> > (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)
> >
> > I wish this was customizable.  Hm.
>
>  ***Pooof***  Your wish has been granted.

:-))) Cool answer...

>  In your Options menu, "Word wrap in text modes" has appeared.

--
Klaus Berndl			mailto: klaus.berndl@sdm.de
sd&m AG				http://www.sdm.de

* Re: How to get rid of the tool bar
@ 2003-01-20 22:58           ` Zaphod Beeblebrox
From: Zaphod Beeblebrox @ 2003-01-20 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 19:47:56 +1300, Kai Großjohann wrote:

> Zaphod Beeblebrox <kagyukid@despam.yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> THAT's what is meant by 'more'.  I didn't think of it as more matches
>> but rather more of the stuff we'd been looking at. .. DUH.
>
> Do you think it should say `press comma for next match' instead? Though
> that might make the line too long in some cases.  Hm.

Might end up being more confusing if it won't fit into a line, however
`,' would be fewer characters which might help to shorten the line.
If the buffer could go to multiple lines, the length would be less of
an issue.

>>> So, M-x auto-fill-mode RET turns on (or off) auto fill mode.  So what
>>> is the command for turning on (or off) tool-bar mode?
>>
>> and by extension, what do I put in the .emacs file?  Quite clear now
>> how Christopher White's suggestion works.
>
> I don't know what Christopher said, but the following turns on auto-fill
> in all text-like modes:

(tool-bar-mode nil)

does what I wish to happen.

> Yes, I understand.  Hm.  It's hard to explain, but it seems to me
> that after a while, one sees how the Emacs maintainers think and
> from then on it's much easier to find new stuff in Emacs.  So I keep
> trying to give some examples to show what Emacs is like, hoping that
> this will help beyond the concrete example that I'm giving.

That works well with me.  Once I get the feel of the thinking of
thinkers behind it, it becomes simpler.  I'm already less ignorant. :-)

* Re: How to get rid of the tool bar
@ 2003-01-21  8:54             ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-21  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Zaphod Beeblebrox <kagyukid@despam.yahoo.com> writes:

> On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 19:47:56 +1300, Kai Großjohann wrote:
>
>> Zaphod Beeblebrox <kagyukid@despam.yahoo.com> writes:
>>
>>> THAT's what is meant by 'more'.  I didn't think of it as more matches
>>> but rather more of the stuff we'd been looking at. .. DUH.
>>
>> Do you think it should say `press comma for next match' instead? Though
>> that might make the line too long in some cases.  Hm.
>
> Might end up being more confusing if it won't fit into a line, however
> `,' would be fewer characters which might help to shorten the line.
> If the buffer could go to multiple lines, the length would be less of
> an issue.

Oh, I wrote comma instead of `,' to be clearer in my posting.
Actually, Emacs uses `,'.

With resize-minibuffer-mode, the minibuffer can be more than one
line.  (Not sure about the echo area.)
--
Ambibibentists unite!

* Re: How to get rid of the tool bar
@ 2003-01-21 17:46               ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2003-01-21 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> With resize-minibuffer-mode, the minibuffer can be more than one
> line.  (Not sure about the echo area.)

Although it won't work if your frame is too small, so it's better
not to rely on such a thing unless you really have to.