all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* C-x d: don't make user have to retype misspelled dirs
@ 2002-06-17  3:32 Dan Jacobson
       [not found] ` <200206180810.g5I8A6o14818@aztec.santafe.edu>
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2002-06-17  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idea: don't make the user type the whole thing over again if he
misspells something, e.g. here
C-x d / v a r / l o <return>
--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780

* Re: C-x d: don't make user have to retype misspelled dirs
@ 2002-06-17 15:44 ` David Kastrup
       [not found] ` <200206180810.g5I8A6o14818@aztec.santafe.edu>
From: David Kastrup @ 2002-06-17 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

jidanni@deadspam.com (Dan Jacobson) writes:

> Idea: don't make the user type the whole thing over again if he
> misspells something, e.g. here
> C-x d / v a r / l o <return>

Type C-x C-v

Email: David.Kastrup@t-online.de

@ 2002-06-18 17:27   ` Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2002-06-18 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan>     Idea: don't make the user type the whole thing over again if he
Dan>     misspells something, e.g. here
Dan>     C-x d / v a r / l o <return>

RMS> After doing that, type C-x d M-p to get back what you typed.

er, um, Checkmate: how come C-x C-r in the same situation will not let
the user get away with a RET here, and instead does the comfy cosy
coaxing thing, whereas C-x d does the parental punishment thing.
--

@ 2002-06-18 19:18     ` Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2002-06-18 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan>     Idea: don't make the user type the whole thing over again if he
Dan>     misspells something, e.g. here
Dan>     C-x d / v a r / l o <return>

RMS> After doing that, type C-x d M-p to get back what you typed.

er, um, Checkmate: how come C-x C-r in the same situation will not let
the user get away with a RET here, and instead does the comfy cosy
coaxing thing, whereas C-x d does the parental punishment thing.

Kastrup> Type C-x C-v
But then I still have to retype /var/lo, as it wiped it out upon RET.
--

@ 2002-06-20 14:33     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-06-20 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    er, um, Checkmate: how come C-x C-r in the same situation will not let
    the user get away with a RET here, and instead does the comfy cosy
    coaxing thing, whereas C-x d does the parental punishment thing.

I don't follow what you are saying about C-x C-r.
Would you please be more explicit?

* Re: C-x d: don't make user have to retype misspelled dirs
@ 2002-06-21  2:27       ` Dan Jacobson
       [not found]         ` <200206211630.g5LGU8D21073@aztec.santafe.edu>
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2002-06-21  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan>     er, um, Checkmate: how come C-x C-r in the same situation will not let
Dan>     the user get away with a RET here, and instead does the comfy cosy
Dan>     coaxing thing, whereas C-x d does the parental punishment thing.

RMS> I don't follow what you are saying about C-x C-r.
RMS> Would you please be more explicit?

$ ls -d /var/lo*
/var/local  /var/lock  /var/log  /var/lost+found

Consider the treatment one gets on the first <return> vs. the second
and third.  The former is like tough luck bub, whereas the latter is
VIP helping environment warm & fuzzy.
--

@ 2002-06-21 23:52           ` Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2002-06-21 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan>     Consider the treatment one gets on the first <return> vs. the second
Dan>     and third.  The former is like tough luck bub, whereas the latter is
Dan>     VIP helping environment warm & fuzzy.

RMS> Do you mean the fact that it creates a buffer named `lo'?

Huh?  You must have thought I typed C-x C-f.  Are you not actually
typing my examples and instead using estimating? <sniff, and I thought
he was infallible>

Anyway, the idea is make C-x d have aforementioned warm & fuzzy
treatment, not just C-x C-r.
--

@ 2002-06-25 16:04         ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2002-06-25 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Jacobson wrote:

> Dan>     er, um, Checkmate: how come C-x C-r in the same situation will not let
> Dan>     the user get away with a RET here, and instead does the comfy cosy
> Dan>     coaxing thing, whereas C-x d does the parental punishment thing.
>
> RMS> I don't follow what you are saying about C-x C-r.
> RMS> Would you please be more explicit?
>
> $ ls -d /var/lo*
> /var/local  /var/lock  /var/log  /var/lost+found

> Consider the treatment one gets on the first <return> vs. the second
> and third.  The former is like tough luck bub, whereas the latter is
> VIP helping environment warm & fuzzy.

I believe this all comes back to the fact that there is only a single
`interactive' character code for reading a directory ("D"), and so
there isn't a way to distinguish between an existing directory and a
possibly nonexistent directory (cf. "f" and "F" for files).  Neither
is there a read-directory-name analogue for read-file-name, which
accepts an optional MUSTMATCH argument.

--
Kevin Rodgers <kevinr@ihs.com>