all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: auto-fill... eh
@ 2003-04-05  5:44 ` Daniel R. Anderson
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Daniel R. Anderson @ 2003-04-05  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

for anybody who codes emacs taking a poll, that includes me too.

and for the record I think tabs are cool.

On Sat, 2003-04-05 at 06:29, John Russell wrote:
> Quote from the emacs manual
>
>    Auto Fill mode does not refill entire paragraphs; it can break
> lines but cannot merge lines.  So editing in the middle of a paragraph
> can result in a paragraph that is not correctly filled.  The easiest
> way to make the paragraph properly filled again is usually with the
> explicit fill commands.  See *Note Fill Commands::.
>

> This kinda bothers me.  I really want auto-fill to behave the way it
> does in every other program.  eg if you go back to the middle of a
> paragraph and start typing, I would like it to fill correctly.  See
> the Mozilla Mail client for an example of the behavior I mean.  I'm
> sure there are others but that's what sprang to mind.
>
> I am so so at lisp but I wanted to ask if anyone else had done this
> or knew how before I blew the cobwebs off the lisp part of my brain.
> Thanks.
>
> John

* auto-fill... eh
@ 2003-04-05  6:29 John Russell
From: John Russell @ 2003-04-05  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

@ 2003-04-05 11:52 ` Johan Bockgård
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2003-04-05 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Russell <jorussel@cisco.com> writes:

> I really want auto-fill to behave the way it does in every other
> program.  eg if you go back to the middle of a paragraph and start
> typing, I would like it to fill correctly.

refill-mode

* Re: auto-fill... eh
@ 2003-04-05 12:08 ` Jesper Harder
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-04-05 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Russell <jorussel@cisco.com> writes:

> Quote from the emacs manual
>
>    Auto Fill mode does not refill entire paragraphs; it can break
> lines but cannot merge lines.  So editing in the middle of a paragraph
> can result in a paragraph that is not correctly filled.
>
> This kinda bothers me.  I really want auto-fill to behave the way it
> does in every other program.  eg if you go back to the middle of a
> paragraph and start typing, I would like it to fill correctly.

You didn't read very far in the manual :-) The very next node after Auto
Fill, tells you what you want:

,----[ <info://emacs/refill> ]

| Refill mode
|
|    Refill minor mode provides support for keeping paragraphs filled as
| you type or modify them in other ways.  It provides an effect similar
| to typical word processor behavior.  This works by running a
| paragraph-filling command at suitable times.
`----

There's also maniac.el, which does something similar.

* Re: auto-fill... eh
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-04-05 17:31 ` Eric Hanchrow
       [not found] ` <m3u1ddp2sj.fsf@defun.localdomain>
From: Eric Hanchrow @ 2003-04-05 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

    John> This kinda bothers me.  I really want auto-fill to behave
    John> the way it does in every other program.  eg if you go back
    John> to the middle of a paragraph and start typing, I would like
    John> it to fill correctly.  See the Mozilla Mail client for an
    John> example of the behavior I mean.  I'm sure there are others
    John> but that's what sprang to mind.

    John> I am so so at lisp but I wanted to ask if anyone else had
    John> done this or knew how before I blew the cobwebs off the lisp
    John> part of my brain.  Thanks.

cperl-mode does this when you're typing in a comment.  It's pretty
slick!  I've never bothered to look at the Lisp code to see how,
though.

Also note that it doesn't work properly in CVS Emacs; try plain old
21.2 if you want to see it in action.
--
This movie doesn't scrape the bottom of the barrel.  This movie isn't
the bottom of the barrel.  This movie isn't below the bottom of the

        Roger Ebert on "Freddy Got Fingered"

* Re: auto-fill... eh
@ 2003-04-05 19:29   ` Edward Dodge
From: Edward Dodge @ 2003-04-05 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eric Hanchrow <offby1@blarg.net> writes:

> cperl-mode does this when you're typing in a comment.  It's pretty
> slick!  I've never bothered to look at the Lisp code to see how,
> though.

Hmmm.  This looks like a "todo" in all the programming modes:  refill
for comment blocks.

> Also note that it doesn't work properly in CVS Emacs; try plain old
> 21.2 if you want to see it in action.

Also,  you can load the CVS EMACS from last October and it should
work (still 21.3.50.1).

--
Edward Dodge

/Confabulation Consulting/

* Re: auto-fill... eh
       [not found] ` <m3u1ddp2sj.fsf@defun.localdomain>
@ 2003-04-06  0:54   ` John Russell
From: John Russell @ 2003-04-06  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:

> John Russell <jorussel@cisco.com> writes:
>
> > Quote from the emacs manual
> >
> >    Auto Fill mode does not refill entire paragraphs; it can break
> > lines but cannot merge lines.  So editing in the middle of a paragraph
> > can result in a paragraph that is not correctly filled.
> >
> > This kinda bothers me.  I really want auto-fill to behave the way it
> > does in every other program.  eg if you go back to the middle of a
> > paragraph and start typing, I would like it to fill correctly.
>
> You didn't read very far in the manual :-) The very next node after Auto
> Fill, tells you what you want:
>
> ,----[ <info://emacs/Refill+Mode> ]
> |
> | Refill mode
> |
> |    Refill minor mode provides support for keeping paragraphs filled as
> | you type or modify them in other ways.  It provides an effect similar
> | to typical word processor behavior.  This works by running a
> | paragraph-filling command at suitable times.
> `----
>
> There's also maniac.el, which does something similar.

And here I was thinking I was all cool reading the manual before I
asked a silly question.  Thanks anyway.

John

* Re: auto-fill... eh
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <m3u1ddp2sj.fsf@defun.localdomain>
@ 2003-04-06 17:30 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2003-04-06 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Russell <jorussel@cisco.com> writes:

> Quote from the emacs manual
>
>    Auto Fill mode does not refill entire paragraphs; it can break
> lines but cannot merge lines.  So editing in the middle of a paragraph
> can result in a paragraph that is not correctly filled.  The easiest
> way to make the paragraph properly filled again is usually with the
> explicit fill commands.  See *Note Fill Commands::.
>

> This kinda bothers me.  I really want auto-fill to behave the way it
> does in every other program.  eg if you go back to the middle of a
> paragraph and start typing, I would like it to fill correctly.  See
> the Mozilla Mail client for an example of the behavior I mean.  I'm
> sure there are others but that's what sprang to mind.

refill.el

* Re: auto-fill... eh
@ 2003-04-06 22:11   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-04-06 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

> cperl-mode does this when you're typing in a comment.  It's pretty
> slick!  I've never bothered to look at the Lisp code to see how,
> though.
> Also note that it doesn't work properly in CVS Emacs; try plain old
> 21.2 if you want to see it in action.

Have you reported this ?  I must have missed it.  Please report it again.