all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* -Re: "Select All" elisp snippet
@ 2004-01-07 15:22 Dr. F.C.Caner
From: Dr. F.C.Caner @ 2004-01-07 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think you can put in your .emacs file something like

(defun select-all()
(goto-char (point-min))
(set-mark-command)
(goto-char (point-max)))

(global-set-key [C-a] 'select-all)

to imitate Windows behavior. But, this is untested.
FCC

Edward Wijaya wrote:
> Hi Emacsen,
>
> Is there a elisp function that enable us
> to do 'select all' in the document text?
>
> Instead of having to mark it front and end document
> and copyiing beforehand.
>
> Thanks so much for your time.
>
> Regards,
> Edward Wijaya
> SINGAPORE

* Re: -Re: "Select All" elisp snippet
@ 2004-01-07 17:57 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2004-01-07 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

ferhun_caner@yahoo.com (Dr. F.C.Caner) writes:

> I think you can put in your .emacs file something like
>
> (defun select-all()
> (goto-char (point-min))
> (set-mark-command)
> (goto-char (point-max)))
>
> (global-set-key [C-a] 'select-all)
>
> to imitate Windows behavior. But, this is untested.

It does nothing that C-x h (mark-whole-buffer) would not do just the
same.

* Re: -Re: "Select All" elisp snippet
@ 2004-01-07 20:04 ` Dr. F.C.Caner
From: Dr. F.C.Caner @ 2004-01-07 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

I do not claim that it does something more. The fact is that I did not
know about C-x h, nor (mark-whole-buffer) until I saw other replies.
May be I should have been more patient?
Best,
FCC

@ 2004-01-07 20:32   ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2004-01-07 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

ferhun_caner@yahoo.com (Dr. F.C.Caner) writes:

> I do not claim that it does something more. The fact is that I did
> not know about C-x h, nor (mark-whole-buffer) until I saw other
> replies.  May be I should have been more patient?

The more ad-hoc a homebrown solution to a simple problem seems, the
more it may be prudent to wait for other replies before investing time
in what amounts to the blind leading the blind.  Or one could try
consulting the documentation.

The Emacs manual has a node "Marking Objects" which gives this
bindings among others.  The node can be found with
C-h i d m Emacs RET i mark RET
and then cycling with , through the occurences.

C-h a ^mark RET

gives a whole slew of marking commands, too, for those that mistrust
manuals.

* Re: -Re: "Select All" elisp snippet
@ 2004-01-08 16:38     ` Greg Fenton
From: Greg Fenton @ 2004-01-08 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup wrote:

> C-h a ^mark RET
>
> gives a whole slew of marking commands, too, for those that mistrust
> manuals.

The problem for newbies is realizing that "selecting text" in Emacsen
speak is "Marking a region"...

greg.fenton
--
Greg Fenton
Consultant, Solution Services, iAnywhere Solutions

* Re: -Re: "Select All" elisp snippet
@ 2004-01-10 12:09       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-01-10 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Greg Fenton <greg.fenton_NOSPAM_@ianywhere.com>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 11:38:43 -0500
>
> The problem for newbies is realizing that "selecting text" in Emacsen
> speak is "Marking a region"...

For those, there's the "Edit->Select All" menu-bar menu item, and the
"Selection" entry in the manual's Glossary.