all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: emacs does not work with tex
       [not found] <cu9u8b$a9a@news.Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
@ 2005-02-08 11:48 ` David Kastrup
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-02-08 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Norbert Rump <norbert.rump@gmx.de> writes:

> I've got a problem I cannot solve: when trying to use tex-mode
> within my emacs, I get the message: "Cannot open load file:
> tex". Maybe there is something wrong with some kind of load path,
> but I can't figure it out.
>
> I'm using emacs 21.3.1 on Windows 2000 (please don't blame me for
> that). I'm also using emacs 21.3.1 on Sun Solaris - everything works
> fine over there.
>
> Any help will be appreciated.

That means you have initialization files for AUCTeX active, but the
AUCTeX directory itself can't be found.

Either because you haven't installed it, or because the path
information in the tex-site.el (or whatever else you are loading) is
wrong.

* Re: emacs does not work with tex
       [not found] <cu9u8b$a9a@news.Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
@ 2005-02-08 12:11 ` Mads Jensen
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Mads Jensen @ 2005-02-08 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Norbert Rump wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've got a problem I cannot solve: when trying to use tex-mode within
> my emacs, I get the message: "Cannot open load file: tex". Maybe there
> is something wrong with some kind of load path, but I can't figure it
> out.

It may be a good idea to post your configuration file somewhere, so that
we have a chance to help you out.
--
Mads Jensen - remove z's in email

If the code and the comments disagree, then both
      are probably wrong.  -- Norm Schryer

* Re: emacs does not work with tex
       [not found] <cu9u8b$a9a@news.Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
@ 2005-02-08 14:14 ` Stefan Monnier
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-02-08 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I've got a problem I cannot solve: when trying to use tex-mode within
> my emacs, I get the message: "Cannot open load file: tex". Maybe there
> is something wrong with some kind of load path, but I can't figure it
> out.

Start from "emacs -q --no-site-file".
That will probably work (because it circumvents loading the local config
which seems to be broken).  Then check your local config little by little by
adding/removing stuff until you find the culprit.

* Re: emacs does not work with tex
       [not found] <cu9u8b$a9a@news.Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-02-09  7:48 ` Gernot Hassenpflug
From: Gernot Hassenpflug @ 2005-02-09  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Norbert> Hi folks, I've got a problem I cannot solve: when trying
    Norbert> to use tex-mode within my emacs, I get the message:
    Norbert> "Cannot open load file: tex". Maybe there is something
    Norbert> wrong with some kind of load path, but I can't figure it
    Norbert> out.

    Norbert> I'm using emacs 21.3.1 on Windows 2000 (please don't
    Norbert> blame me for that). I'm also using emacs 21.3.1 on Sun
    Norbert> Solaris - everything works fine over there.

In absence of other information, take a look at your .emacs (or
.emacs.el) file and see what path is being preprended to the tex.el
file that is supposed to be loaded. It may be that this file is in a
different location on your Windows system, or that you need to change
the format of the path (/ to \ for example), addition of a definition
of a home directory, or something like that.

--
G Hassenpflug RASC, Kyoto University

* Re: emacs does not work with tex
       [not found] <cu9u8b$a9a@news.Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-02-11 21:44 ` Surendra Singhi
From: Surendra Singhi @ 2005-02-11 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Norbert Rump wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've got a problem I cannot solve: when trying to use tex-mode within
> my emacs, I get the message: "Cannot open load file: tex". Maybe there
> is something wrong with some kind of load path, but I can't figure it
> out.

Did you check if the tex package is present in your
emacs-21.3/lisp/textmodes/  directory?

In particular the file "tex-mode.el".

And what is the tex related code in your .emac file?

--
Surendra Singhi

www.public.asu.edu/~sksinghi/

* Re: emacs does not work with tex
       [not found] <cu9u8b$a9a@news.Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-02-12 17:40 ` Takuon Soho
From: Takuon Soho @ 2005-02-12 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Search for someone named "Popineau".

I believe they have a project going which is an emacs which has been
specially built to run Tex and I think there is a windows port too.

The project name is something like "TexEmacs".

Tak

@ 2005-02-13  3:22   ` Joe Corneli
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1904.1108266956.2841.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joe Corneli @ 2005-02-13  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

   Search for someone named "Popineau".

   I believe they have a project going which is an emacs which has been
   specially built to run Tex and I think there is a windows port too.

   The project name is something like "TexEmacs".

TeXmacs (if that is what you are talking about) is not really an Emacs
at all.

* Re: emacs does not work with tex
@ 2005-02-13  3:47   ` Jim Hunter
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1904.1108266956.2841.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jim Hunter @ 2005-02-13  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Takuon Soho" <Tak@somwhere.net> writes:

> Search for someone named "Popineau".
>
> I believe they have a project going which is an emacs which has been
> specially built to run Tex and I think there is a windows port too.
>
> The project name is something like "TexEmacs".
>
> Tak
>

> "Norbert Rump" <norbert.rump@gmx.de> wrote in message
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I've got a problem I cannot solve: when trying to use tex-mode within
> > my emacs, I get the message: "Cannot open load file: tex". Maybe there
> > is something wrong with some kind of load path, but I can't figure it
> > out.
> >
> > I'm using emacs 21.3.1 on Windows 2000 (please don't blame me for
> > that). I'm also using emacs 21.3.1 on Sun Solaris - everything works
> > fine over there.
> >
> > Any help will be appreciated.
> >
> > Norbert

Try http://www.fptex.org/
There is a TeX distribution for Windows which worked for me straight out
of the box on both Windows 2000 and XP.  It also works with Emacs provided
the TeX program is in your PATH (the installer didn't set the path
automatically, IIRC).

Jim

@ 2005-02-13  3:55     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-02-13  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)