all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: LaTeX-Fill-Paragraph and inline images
Date: 27 Feb 2003 14:27:59 +0100	[thread overview]

"Felix E. Klee" <felix.klee@inka.de> writes:

> 4. Writing a fill-paragraph function that works properly with
>    Preview-LaTeX shouldn't be too hard once we have something
>    similar to compute-motion that measures in pixels.

There are two ideas that would help a lot already, but which I have
not found time to implement yet:

a) let AUCTeX honor the "hard" property on line breaks and spaces.
Make preview-latex declare all previews as "hard".  When AUCTeX can't
break a line where it wants, it will back up to the next non-hard
space or line break and break there, if there is not yet a break
present.  This would help in most cases as long as you insert
appropriate breaks in your previewed matter and start previewing
before letting AUCTeX reformat paragraphs or stuff.

b) environments, groups, mathematics, footnotes etc. introduce a structure of
nesting.  Let AUCTeX, when indenting/wrapping, make sure that new
levels of nesting are introduced on lines of themselves.  That is,
wrap \footnote{...} to a new line (ending the previous line with a
comment char if necessary) unless it completely fits on the current
line.

This way of wrapping would need no interaction with preview-latex and
would yield more readable results also when doing normal text entry.