all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Current CVS version install breaks on Mac OSX
@ 2004-03-14 15:13 Piet van Oostrum
From: Piet van Oostrum @ 2004-03-14 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Current CVS version install breaks on Mac OSX for the Carbon version
( ./configure  --enable-carbon-app --without-x)

This is caused by this change:

2004-03-13  Eli Zaretskii  <eliz@elta.co.il>

	* Makefile.in (XMENU_OBJ): Include xmenu.o if HAVE_MENUS is
	defined.

I don't understand why that include is there because it is in the
'not HAVE_X_WINDOWS'  branch. In the  'HAVE_X_WINDOWS' branch it is
already there conditionalized on 'not HAVE_CARBON'

I think xmenu.o only works with HAVE_X_WINDOWS. Anyway in Carbon Emacs it
won't compile because the X11 headers are not included. Moreover it shouldn't
be included as macmenu.o takes over the required functionality.
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet@cs.uu.nl>
Private email: P.van.Oostrum@hccnet.nl

* Re: Current CVS version install breaks on Mac OSX
@ 2004-03-14 17:08 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-03-14 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Piet van Oostrum <piet@cs.uu.nl>
> Date: 14 Mar 2004 16:13:17 +0100
>
> Current CVS version install breaks on Mac OSX for the Carbon version
> ( ./configure  --enable-carbon-app --without-x)
>
> This is caused by this change:
>
> 2004-03-13  Eli Zaretskii  <eliz@elta.co.il>
>
> 	* Makefile.in (XMENU_OBJ): Include xmenu.o if HAVE_MENUS is
> 	defined.

Does it build with the same configure options if you take out my
change?

> I don't understand why that include is there because it is in the
> 'not HAVE_X_WINDOWS'  branch. In the  'HAVE_X_WINDOWS' branch it is
> already there conditionalized on 'not HAVE_CARBON'

I installed that (and a related change to emacs.c) to solve 2
problems:

  - the MS-DOS port would not build because xmenu.o was not linked
    into temacs; and

  - the Unix and GNU versions would not build when configured
    --without-x (see a bug report posted to emacs-pretest-bug a
    couple of days ago).

I don't have access to Mac OS X, so I cannot tell what change is
required.  Can you suggest a change that would only fix the Carbon
build?

> I think xmenu.o only works with HAVE_X_WINDOWS.

Not true, it is used by any system that defines HAVE_MENUS (the MS-DOS
port is one of them; I'm not sure if it is the only one, though).

> Anyway in Carbon Emacs it
> won't compile because the X11 headers are not included. Moreover it shouldn't
> be included as macmenu.o takes over the required functionality.

Will this be fixed if the XMENU_OBJ definition I added, in the non-X
branch, is conditioned with "#ifndef HAVE_CARBON"?  If so, please feel
free to commit such a change.

* Re: Current CVS version install breaks on Mac OSX
@ 2004-03-14 18:44   ` Steven Tamm
From: Steven Tamm @ 2004-03-14 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Piet van Oostrum, emacs-devel

>> Anyway in Carbon Emacs it
>> won't compile because the X11 headers are not included. Moreover it
>> shouldn't
>> be included as macmenu.o takes over the required functionality.
>
> Will this be fixed if the XMENU_OBJ definition I added, in the non-X
> branch, is conditioned with "#ifndef HAVE_CARBON"?  If so, please feel
> free to commit such a change.

Yes & done.  The build should work again for Carbon MacOSX.

-Steven

* Re: Current CVS version install breaks on Mac OSX
@ 2004-03-14 19:54     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-03-14 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: piet, emacs-devel

> From: Steven Tamm <steventamm@mac.com>
> Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 10:44:40 -0800
>
> Yes & done.  The build should work again for Carbon MacOSX.

Thanks.

* Re: Current CVS version install breaks on Mac OSX
@ 2004-03-14 20:20     ` Piet van Oostrum
From: Piet van Oostrum @ 2004-03-14 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> Anyway in Carbon Emacs it
>>> won't compile because the X11 headers are not included. Moreover it
>>> shouldn't
>>> be included as macmenu.o takes over the required functionality.
>>
>> Will this be fixed if the XMENU_OBJ definition I added, in the non-X
>> branch, is conditioned with "#ifndef HAVE_CARBON"?  If so, please feel
>> free to commit such a change.

ST> Yes & done.  The build should work again for Carbon MacOSX.

In fact it means that this code can be taken out of the HAVE-X-WINDOWS
condition. Then only a single copy is necessary.

By the way, I had a bizarre problem: Some .el files wouldn't be recompiled
so I had some recent source files that were newer than their .elc file,
e.g. lisp/mail/sendmail.el.
It appears to be caused because I had my sources in ~/Projects/CVS/emacs.
Maybe not wise to use CVS as dir name (I have changed it now to cvs).
It was caused by this line in lisp/Makefile (it occurs twice):

	   case $$file in */Old | */RCS | */CVS | */CVS/* | */.* | */.*/* | */=* ) ;; \

--

@ 2004-03-15  6:08       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-03-15  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Piet van Oostrum <piet@cs.uu.nl>
> Date: 14 Mar 2004 21:20:00 +0100
>
> In fact it means that this code can be taken out of the HAVE-X-WINDOWS
> condition. Then only a single copy is necessary.

You mean, the HAVE_CARBON case?  Well, it was outside the
HAVE_X_WINDOWS condition, but someone, I think Kim, changed that.  I
guess it was done to simplify the other builds: the X toolkit and the
GTK one.

Personally, I don't care much how we factor that (src/Makefile.in is a
complex piece stuff, and the fact that it is preprocessed by cpp
doesn't help), as long as it works for all the ports and build
variants.  The --without-x case, btw, is the one most frequently
broken, as it is very rarely used, or so it seems.  I'm surprised that
not one, but 2 separate reports about it were posted just this week.

* Re: Current CVS version install breaks on Mac OSX
@ 2004-03-15  9:27         ` Piet van Oostrum
From: Piet van Oostrum @ 2004-03-15  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> From: Piet van Oostrum <piet@cs.uu.nl>
>> Date: 14 Mar 2004 21:20:00 +0100
>>
>> In fact it means that this code can be taken out of the HAVE-X-WINDOWS
>> condition. Then only a single copy is necessary.

EZ> You mean, the HAVE_CARBON case?  Well, it was outside the
EZ> HAVE_X_WINDOWS condition, but someone, I think Kim, changed that.  I
EZ> guess it was done to simplify the other builds: the X toolkit and the
EZ> GTK one.

Yes, that's what I mean, there is now one in the HAVE_X_WINDOWS branch and
in the #else branch.