all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Problem with ange-ftp "500 AUTH command not supported"
@ 2002-10-13 18:03 Mark Landreville
       [not found] ` <mailman.1034535314.4877.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Mark Landreville @ 2002-10-13 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello:

I am using emacs 20.7 on a Linux Mandrake 8.1 system.  I have so far
been unsuccessful at editing files over FTP on my remote account.  I
recieve the following output:

ftp> open ftp.eskimo.com
Connected to ftp.eskimo.com.
220-
220 ftp.eskimo.com FTP server ready.
user "marklan" Turtle Power!
500 AUTH command not supported.
500 AUTH command not supported.
KERBEROS_V4 rejected as an authentication type
ftp> 331 Password required for marklan.
230 User marklan logged in.
ftp>

I have created a .netrc file with my account login and password and it
works for logging in by ftp, but it will not open a buffer in the remote
directory on emacs.  I was able to use ange-ftp in my previous linux
system without any trouble, (Mandrake 6.1 with emacs20.4) and I can
currently use ange-ftp on NT emacs with either windows 98 or windows
2000 in this same account.  Does anyone out there have any ideas for any
workarounds?

Any ideas would be much appreciated,

Mark Landreville

* Re: Problem with ange-ftp "500 AUTH command not supported"
@ 2002-10-13 18:54 ` ken
       [not found] ` <mailman.1034535314.4877.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: ken @ 2002-10-13 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Check the archives of this list from ealier this month or last.  This
exact same question was very recently addressed.

--
AMD crashes?  See http://cleveland.lug.net/~ken/amd-problem/.

Spake Mark Landreville at 11:03 (UTC-0700) on Sun, 13 Oct 2002:

= Hello:
=
[...]
= _______________________________________________
= Help-gnu-emacs mailing list
= Help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
=

@ 2002-10-14  8:06   ` Mark Landreville
From: Mark Landreville @ 2002-10-14  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Ken,

Now I see the posting earlier this month.  Unfortunately it doesn't come
  up with a solution.  The only consolation is that somebody else out
there appears to have the very same unsolved problem.

Thanks,

Mark

@ 2002-10-14 10:24     ` ken
From: ken @ 2002-10-14 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

If you look again at the messages returned by emacs, you'll see that you
are indeed logged in, despite the fact that you are getting the
"AUTH..." warning messages.  In fact, emacs does give you an "ftp>"
prompt and if you put the cursor (the point) after this prompt and type
"pwd", emacs should give you the current directory on the remote
machine.  If you run ftp from a shell prompt to the same machine, you'll
probably get the same behavior.  Do you?

hth,
ken

--
AMD crashes?  See http://cleveland.lug.net/~ken/amd-problem/.

Spake Mark Landreville at 01:06 (UTC-0700) on Mon, 14 Oct 2002:

= Hello Ken,
=
= ken wrote:
= > Check the archives of this list from ealier this month or last.  This
= > exact same question was very recently addressed.
= >
=
= _______________________________________________
= Help-gnu-emacs mailing list
= Help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
=

* Re: Problem with ange-ftp "500 AUTH command not supported"
@ 2002-10-15  4:34     ` Eric Marsden
From: Eric Marsden @ 2002-10-15  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

  ml> Now I see the posting earlier this month.  Unfortunately it doesn't
  ml> come up with a solution.  The only consolation is that somebody else
  ml> out there appears to have the very same unsolved problem.

try the following thread:

    <URL:http://groups.google.com/groups?th=4eff882669c9c73d>

--
Eric Marsden                          <URL:http://www.laas.fr/~emarsden/>