all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs on Mac OS X problem
@ 2002-12-18 18:20 Avi Purkayastha
From: Avi Purkayastha @ 2002-12-18 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

I downloaded and installed GNU emacs v21.3.50 binary(not the terminal
emacs that comes with OS X) and have been succesful except for one MAJOR
problem. I can copy-and-paste out of an emacs window into a terminal or
file, but not the other way around. So the cmd-c and cmd-v commands
yield nothing into an emacs window. Any solutions?

many thanks
avi

* Re: emacs on Mac OS X problem
@ 2002-12-19  7:44 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-19  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Avi Purkayastha <avijit@tacc.utexas.edu> writes:

> I downloaded and installed GNU emacs v21.3.50 binary(not the terminal
> emacs that comes with OS X) and have been succesful except for one
> MAJOR problem. I can copy-and-paste out of an emacs window into a
> terminal or file, but not the other way around. So the cmd-c and cmd-v
> commands yield nothing into an emacs window. Any solutions?

In Emacs, the `paste' command is C-y.

* Re: emacs on Mac OS X problem
@ 2002-12-19 16:34 ` Rodney Sparapani
From: Rodney Sparapani @ 2002-12-19 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Avi:

There are a few Mac "localizations" that I keep in .emacs:
;Mac keys
(setq mac-command-key-is-meta nil)
(global-set-key (quote [f1]) 'help-command)
(global-set-key [?\A-v] 'yank)           ; paste
(global-set-key [?\A-x] 'kill-region)    ; cut
(global-set-key [?\A-c] 'kill-ring-save) ; copy

--
Rodney Sparapani              Medical College of Wisconsin
Sr. Biostatistician           Patient Care & Outcomes Research

* Re: emacs on Mac OS X problem
@ 2002-12-19 17:12   ` Avi Purkayastha
From: Avi Purkayastha @ 2002-12-19 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: kai.grossjohann

Kai Großjohann wrote:
> Avi Purkayastha <avijit@tacc.utexas.edu> writes:
>

>>I downloaded and installed GNU emacs v21.3.50 binary(not the terminal
>>emacs that comes with OS X) and have been succesful except for one
>>MAJOR problem. I can copy-and-paste out of an emacs window into a
>>terminal or file, but not the other way around. So the cmd-c and cmd-v
>>commands yield nothing into an emacs window. Any solutions?
>

> In Emacs, the `paste' command is C-y.

yes, but the paste command is empty or un-highlighted. In other words
when I copy or cmd-c, it does seem to be `loaded' in any buffer.

I installed this version by downloading the
EmacsInstaller-02-11-26.dmg.gz and basically untarring and installing
the binary. If you have this version on your Mac OS X, it would be
helpful to know how you installed?

thanks
	-- avi

* Re: emacs on Mac OS X problem
@ 2003-01-01 20:17 ` Thomas Yan
From: Thomas Yan @ 2003-01-01 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Avi Purkayastha <avijit@tacc.utexas.edu> writes:

> I downloaded and installed GNU emacs v21.3.50 binary(not the terminal
> emacs that comes with OS X) and have been succesful except for one
> MAJOR problem. I can copy-and-paste out of an emacs window into a
> terminal or file, but not the other way around. So the cmd-c and cmd-v
> commands yield nothing into an emacs window. Any solutions?

I can copy out of Terminal or TextEdit and then paste into an xterm
under X Windows.  So I cat to a file ~/blah, paste into that, and then
insert that file into an emacs buffer.  (Or, if it is only one line
long, I paste it into an xterm, cut something in emacs, copy from the
xterm, and paste into emacs.  I'm not sure why I have to cut something
first in emacs.)

Annoying, but it works.

* Re: emacs on Mac OS X problem
@ 2003-01-02 13:06   ` Piet van Oostrum
From: Piet van Oostrum @ 2003-01-02 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Avi Purkayastha <avijit@tacc.utexas.edu> writes:
> I downloaded and installed GNU emacs v21.3.50 binary(not the terminal
> emacs that comes with OS X) and have been succesful except for one
> MAJOR problem. I can copy-and-paste out of an emacs window into a
> terminal or file, but not the other way around. So the cmd-c and cmd-v
> commands yield nothing into an emacs window. Any solutions?

In emacs you paste with C-y (control-Y). I have no problem pasting into
emacs from Terminal or other applications.
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet@cs.uu.nl>
Private email: P.van.Oostrum@hccnet.nl