all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to set ignored pattern in ediff in emacs
@ 2004-12-03 19:32 gan_xiao_jun
From: gan_xiao_jun @ 2004-12-03 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I think emacs's ediff is a very powerful tool. :-)

But I am not sure if there a method to set ignored
pattern in ediff,
just like
diff -u file1 file2 -I "macro=[0-9]"
do

I have another small question:
Is there a way to specify file1 and file2 in command
line when launch emacs, else I have to input the long
filenames in emacs.

Thanks in advance
gan

http://my.yahoo.com

* Re: How to set ignored pattern in ediff in emacs
       [not found] <mailman.3395.1102102960.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-12-03 23:03 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-12-03 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

gan_xiao_jun@yahoo.com wrote:
 > I think emacs's ediff is a very powerful tool. :-)

Me, too.

,----[ C-h v ediff-diff-options RET ]

`----

 > I have another small question:
 > Is there a way to specify file1 and file2 in command
 > line when launch emacs, else I have to input the long
 > filenames in emacs.

Do you mean
	emacs long_file_name_1 long_file_name_2
or
	emacs --eval '(ediff-files "long_file_name_1" "long_file_name_2")'

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: How to set ignored pattern in ediff in emacs
@ 2004-12-05 21:25   ` Josef.Bauer.nospam
From: Josef.Bauer.nospam @ 2004-12-05 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

 gan> I have another small question: Is there a way to specify file1
 gan> and file2 in command line when launch emacs, else I have to
 gan> input the long filenames in emacs.

 Kevin> Do you mean
 Kevin>  emacs long_file_name_1 long_file_name_2
 Kevin> or
 Kevin>  emacs --eval '(ediff-files "long_file_name_1" "long_file_name_2")'

But who would want to start a _new_ emacs?

Here is a perl script that I use to ediff files in my (one-and-only
running) emacs:

---------------------------------------------------------------- edf.pl
#! /sw/local/bin/perl -w

sub filename2AbsFilename
{
    my $fn = shift(@_);

    if ( ! ($fn =~ '^/' ) )
    {
	return("$ENV{PWD}/$fn");
    }
    else
    {
	return($fn);
    }
}

$hostopt = "-h uhu";

if ( $#ARGV != 1 )
{
    print "$0: call ediff in emacs" , "\n";
    print "$0 --- usage: $0 file1 file2" , "\n";
    exit;
}

$file1 = shift;
$file2 = shift;

$file1 = filename2AbsFilename($file1);
$file2 = filename2AbsFilename($file2);

$COMMAND = "(raise-frame) (ediff-files \"$file1\" \"$file2\")";

system "gnudoit $hostopt \'$COMMAND\'";

Maybe the hostname could be handeled in some more advanced way thatn
hard coding it in the script.

Best regards

Josef