all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* dired: launch program withou stalling emacs
@ 2009-07-20 13:49 Alain Muls
From: Alain Muls @ 2009-07-20 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

I am learning to use dired for file operations. I found out how to
launch a program associated with the extension using eg

(require 'dired-x)
(setq dired-guess-shell-alist-user
       '(("\\.pdf$" "evince")))

The inconvenience of this is that I have to close the program before I
can resume working in emacs. Is there a possibility to launch the
pdfviewer evince and be able to work in emacs without closing the pdfviewer?

Tx/Alain

* Re: dired: launch program withou stalling emacs
@ 2009-07-20 15:39 ` suvayu ali
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2864.1248127549.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: suvayu ali @ 2009-07-20 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

2009/7/20 Alain Muls <alain.muls@telenet.be>:
> Hi
>
> I am learning to use dired for file operations. I found out how to launch a
> program associated with the extension using eg
>
> (require 'dired-x)
> (setq dired-guess-shell-alist-user
>      '(("\\.pdf$" "evince")))
>
> The inconvenience of this is that I have to close the program before I can
> resume working in emacs. Is there a possibility to launch the pdfviewer
> evince and be able to work in emacs without closing the pdfviewer?

If you are on GNU/Linux you can try `! xdg-open RET'.

--
Suvayu

* Re: dired: launch program withou stalling emacs
@ 2009-07-20 15:45 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-07-20 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alain Muls; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 3:49 PM, Alain Muls<alain.muls@telenet.be> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am learning to use dired for file operations. I found out how to launch a
> program associated with the extension using eg
>
> (require 'dired-x)
> (setq dired-guess-shell-alist-user
>      '(("\\.pdf$" "evince")))
>
> The inconvenience of this is that I have to close the program before I can
> resume working in emacs. Is there a possibility to launch the pdfviewer
> evince and be able to work in emacs without closing the pdfviewer?

Maybe this page can help to clarify things:

  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SexMode

* Re: dired: launch program withou stalling emacs
@ 2009-07-20 22:05   ` suvayu ali
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2864.1248127549.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: suvayu ali @ 2009-07-20 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

2009/7/20 suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com>:
> 2009/7/20 Alain Muls <alain.muls@telenet.be>:
>>
>> I am learning to use dired for file operations. I found out how to launch a
>> program associated with the extension using eg
>>
>> (require 'dired-x)
>> (setq dired-guess-shell-alist-user
>>      '(("\\.pdf$" "evince")))
>>
>> The inconvenience of this is that I have to close the program before I can
>> resume working in emacs. Is there a possibility to launch the pdfviewer
>> evince and be able to work in emacs without closing the pdfviewer?
>>

> If you are on GNU/Linux you can try `! xdg-open RET'.
>

> Alain wrote:
>
> this works fine for PDF files, but it fails on .fig (xfig) or .odt (openoffice) files.

Hi Alain,

It should work for _all_ files. What xdg-open does is open the file in
the preferred application as per the settings of the user. If it fails
for you, then your default applications settings is not what it should
be.

I am not sure how to correct this from the command line (you can try
xdg-mime), but from the GUI you can right click a file and set the
defaults by going to the properties menu on almost any modern window
manager.

I believe this is getting off-topic on the emacs list beyond this
point. If your problem persists, try posting on your distro's user
list. Hope this helps.

--
Suvayu

* Re: dired: launch program withou stalling emacs
       [not found] <mailman.2834.1248097787.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-07-20 22:43 ` muede
From: muede @ 2009-07-20 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jul 20, 3:49 pm, Alain Muls <alain.m...@telenet.be> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am learning to use dired for file operations. I found out how to
> launch a program associated with the extension using eg
>
> (require 'dired-x)
> (setq dired-guess-shell-alist-user
>        '(("\\.pdf$" "evince")))
>
> The inconvenience of this is that I have to close the program before I
> can resume working in emacs. Is there a possibility to launch the
> pdfviewer evince and be able to work in emacs without closing the pdfviewer?
>
> Tx/Alain

Run it in the background.

(setq dired-guess-shell-alist-user
        '(("\\.pdf$" "evince * &")))

-ap

@ 2009-07-21  6:34 ` Josef G. Bauer
From: Josef G. Bauer @ 2009-07-21  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

    Alain> The inconvenience of this is that I have to close the
    Alain> program before I can resume working in emacs. Is there a
    Alain> possibility to launch the pdfviewer evince and be able to
    Alain> work in emacs without closing the pdfviewer?

here is what I use (in my .emacs):

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
(defun dired-do-shell-command-in-background (command)
  "In dired, do shell command in background on the file or directory named on this line."
  (interactive
   (list (dired-read-shell-command (concat "& on " "%s: ") nil (list (dired-get-filename)))))
  (call-process command nil 0 nil (dired-get-filename)))

(add-hook 'dired-load-hook
	  (function (lambda ()
		      (load "dired-x")
		      (define-key dired-mode-map "&" 'dired-do-shell-command-in-background))))

(setq dired-guess-shell-alist-user
      (list (list "\\.wav$" "wavesurfer") (list "\\.au$" "wavesurfer") (list "\\.pdf$" "acroread")
	    (list "\\.doc$" "OOo") (list "\\.xls$" "OOo") (list "\\.tif$" "gqview")
	    (list "\\.jpg$" "gqview") (list "\\.html$" "firefox") (list "\\.htm$" "firefox")))
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

H have posted this before, so you could have found it on the web. ;-)

Greetings

Josef

@ 2009-09-11 13:19     ` Jonathan
From: Jonathan @ 2009-09-11 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jul 20, 11:05 pm, suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+li...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/7/20 suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+li...@gmail.com>:
>
> > 2009/7/20 Alain Muls <alain.m...@telenet.be>:
>
> >> I am learning to use dired for file operations. I found out how to launch a
> >> program associated with the extension using eg
>
> >> (require 'dired-x)
> >> (setq dired-guess-shell-alist-user
> >>      '(("\\.pdf$" "evince")))
>
> >> The inconvenience of this is that I have to close the program before I can
> >> resume working in emacs. Is there a possibility to launch the pdfviewer
> >> evince and be able to work in emacs without closing the pdfviewer?
>
> > If you are on GNU/Linux you can try `! xdg-open RET'.
>
> > Alain wrote:
>
> > this works fine for PDF files, but it fails on .fig (xfig) or .odt (openoffice) files.
>
> Hi Alain,
>
> It should work for _all_ files. What xdg-open does is open the file in
> the preferred application as per the settings of the user. If it fails
> for you, then your default applications settings is not what it should
> be.
>
> I am not sure how to correct this from the command line (you can try
> xdg-mime), but from the GUI you can right click a file and set the
> defaults by going to the properties menu on almost any modern window
> manager.
>
> I believe this is getting off-topic on the emacs list beyond this
> point. If your problem persists, try posting on your distro's user
> list. Hope this helps.
>
> --
> Suvayu

My problem is not that the OO file does not open, it's that emacs
still remains locked until the file is closed.

Any suggestions on how to invoke xdg-open as a background process?

Jon

* Re: dired: launch program withou stalling emacs
@ 2009-09-12 23:14       ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2009-09-12 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

2009/9/11 Jonathan <jadski@googlemail.com>:
> On Jul 20, 11:05 pm, suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+li...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > If you are on GNU/Linux you can try `! xdg-open RET'.
>>
>> > Alain wrote:
>>
>> > this works fine for PDF files, but it fails on .fig (xfig) or .odt (openoffice) files.
>>
>> Hi Alain,
>>
>> It should work for _all_ files. What xdg-open does is open the file in
>> the preferred application as per the settings of the user. If it fails
>> for you, then your default applications settings is not what it should
>> be.
>>
>> I am not sure how to correct this from the command line (you can try
>> xdg-mime), but from the GUI you can right click a file and set the
>> defaults by going to the properties menu on almost any modern window
>> manager.
>>
>> I believe this is getting off-topic on the emacs list beyond this
>> point. If your problem persists, try posting on your distro's user
>> list. Hope this helps.
>>

> My problem is not that the OO file does not open, it's that emacs
> still remains locked until the file is closed.
>
> Any suggestions on how to invoke xdg-open as a background process?
>
> Jon

That should not be the case. Here using xdg-open does not lock up
emacs. I think a previous post in this thread mentioned how to open an
application in the background. You could give that a try.

GL
--
Suvayu