all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* M-x term, multi-tty, and terminal emulation problems
@ 2006-05-03 12:24 Mark Plaksin
From: Mark Plaksin @ 2006-05-03 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

From time to time I have terminal emulation problems with M-x term in
Emacs.  I'm never certain whether the problems are caused by me and my
environment variables or by term.el itself.  Maybe you can help me figure
it out.

I use the multi-tty branch (based on CVS Emacs) and use M-x term to connect
to lots of different hosts and then run screen on each host.  I put a
compiled version of eterm-color.ti on every host in ~/.terminfo and export
TERMINFO=~/.terminfo.  I compile eterm-color.ti once per OS version (e.g.,
HP-UX, Solaris, Debian, etc) and copy it around.

Here's what I do; what's wrong with it?  If nothing's wrong, presumably
there are problems in term.el and I'll set about debugging those.

1.  Run xterm (TERM=xterm)
2.  Run screen (which sets TERM=screen)
3.  Run multi-tty emacs in TTY mode (i.e., no X window gets created)
4.  Detach from screen and get back to the xterm
5.  Run multi-tty's emacsclient to attach to the Emacs that's already
running.  This time, an X window is created with Emacs inside.
6.  Run a shell inside of Emacs' terminal emulator (TERM=eterm-color)
7.  ssh to a remote host and get a shell (TERM=eterm-color)
8.  Run screen (which sets TERM=screen)
9.  Run vi or some other full screen app.

Thanks for any help!