all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Calendar window swallows half frame
@ 2006-09-17 11:33 Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-09-17 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello!

Since weeks or months in GNU Emacs 22.0.50 the *calendar* window is
exactly half the frame in which it is created. Unicode Emacs 23.0.0
or GNU Emacs 21.3.50 behave more accurately, giving it about ten
lines – and GNU Emacs 22.0.50 when launched with -Q, too!

Is there some old variable or function that changed during this summer?

--
Greetings

   Pete

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."

                                 George W. Bush

* Re: Calendar window swallows half frame
       [not found] <mailman.7034.1158492818.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-09-17 19:18 ` martin
       [not found]   ` <mailman.7054.1158522545.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: martin @ 2006-09-17 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

 >  Hello!  Since weeks or months in GNU Emacs 22.0.50 the *calendar*
 > window is exactly half the frame in which it is created. Unicode
 > Emacs 23.0.0 or GNU Emacs 21.3.50 behave more accurately, giving it
 > about ten lines – and GNU Emacs 22.0.50 when launched with -Q, too!
 >
 > Is there some old variable or function that changed during this
 > summer?

What is your value of the variable calendar-minimum-window-height ?

Martin

--
parozusa at web dot de

* Re: Calendar window swallows half frame
@ 2006-09-17 19:48   ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]   ` <mailman.7054.1158522545.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-09-17 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 17.09.2006 um 21:18 schrieb martin:

>>  Hello!  Since weeks or months in GNU Emacs 22.0.50 the *calendar*
>> window is exactly half the frame in which it is created. Unicode
>> Emacs 23.0.0 or GNU Emacs 21.3.50 behave more accurately, giving it
>> about ten lines – and GNU Emacs 22.0.50 when launched with -Q, too!
>>
>> Is there some old variable or function that changed during this
>> summer?
>
> What is your value of the variable calendar-minimum-window-height ?

Sensible 8 ...

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Time flies like an error -- but fruit flies like a banana!
                              (almost Groucho Marx)

@ 2006-09-18 10:52     ` martin
From: martin @ 2006-09-18 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

 >>> Hello!  Since weeks or months in GNU Emacs 22.0.50 the *calendar*
 >>> window is exactly half the frame in which it is created. Unicode
 >>> Emacs 23.0.0 or GNU Emacs 21.3.50 behave more accurately, giving
 >>> it about ten lines – and GNU Emacs 22.0.50 when launched with -Q,
 >>> too!
 >>>
 >>> Is there some old variable or function that changed during this
 >>> summer?
 >>
 >> What is your value of the variable calendar-minimum-window-height
 >> ?
 >>

 > Sensible 8 ...

... after creating the calender window ?

Martin

--
parozusa at web dot de

* Re: Calendar window swallows half frame
@ 2006-09-18 14:36       ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-09-18 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 18.09.2006 um 12:52 schrieb martin:

>>> What is your value of the variable calendar-minimum-window-height
>>> ?
>>>

>> Sensible 8 ...
>
> ... after creating the calender window ?

No, later, when I scrolled calendar up and down. So the value
probably was 8 from the beginning (calendar is invoked from .emacs).
I launched another GNU Emacs 22.0.50 and *calendar* again swallows
half the frame. At this state calendar-minimum-window-height is 8. I
never set or change this variable.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped.
                                      -- Elbert Hubbard

@ 2006-09-19  2:04 ` Glenn Morris
       [not found]   ` <mailman.7210.1158784009.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Glenn Morris @ 2006-09-19  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Since weeks or months in GNU Emacs 22.0.50 the *calendar* window is
> exactly half the frame in which it is created. Unicode Emacs 23.0.0
> or GNU Emacs 21.3.50 behave more accurately, giving it about ten
> lines – and GNU Emacs 22.0.50 when launched with -Q, too!

If you're saying that it works OK when Emacs is started with -q
--no-site-file, then try to find which setting in your .emacs is
causing the issue. The usual method is to comment out half, find which
half causes the issue, and repeat till you narrow it down.

Emacs CVS problems to emacs-devel, or use M-x report-emacs-bug.

> Is there some old variable or function that changed during this summer?

Yes, there were changes - see the ChangeLog.

* Re: Calendar window swallows half frame
@ 2006-09-20 20:26   ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]   ` <mailman.7210.1158784009.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-09-20 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 19.09.2006 um 04:04 schrieb Glenn Morris:

> If you're saying that it works OK when Emacs is started with -q
> --no-site-file, then try to find which setting in your .emacs is
> causing the issue. The usual method is to comment out half, find which
> half causes the issue, and repeat till you narrow it down.

I wanted to save some time – and actually there is one more thing
that's puzzling me:

   when I launch GNU Emacs 22.0.50 as src/emacs from the build tree
it behaves right in window size, but uses the default calendar with
holidays from a few world religions;

   when I launch GNU Emacs 22.0.50 as /usr/local/bin/emacs-22.0.50 it
uses the "localised" calendar Elisp files and shows only German and
local holidays accordingly (plus some religious ones in religious
states that make together with the secular states the Federal
Republic of Germoney).

> Emacs CVS problems to emacs-devel, or use M-x report-emacs-bug.

I know. I still do not think it's a bug. And since some "progressive"
users are on this list, I thought the last posting might be a good idea.

--
Greetings

   Pete

"One person with a belief is a social power equal to ninety-nine who
have only interests."
                                                  - John Stuart Mill

@ 2006-09-20 23:29     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2006-09-20 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Looks like I have to try setting Mail-Followup-To for gatewayed
newsgroups...

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 19.09.2006 um 04:04 schrieb Glenn Morris:
>
>> If you're saying that it works OK when Emacs is started with -q
>> --no-site-file, then try to find which setting in your .emacs is
>> causing the issue. The usual method is to comment out half, find which
>> half causes the issue, and repeat till you narrow it down.
>
> I wanted to save some time –

Well, it saves you time, yes; but at the expense of everyone else who
can't reproduce this problem and has to guess as to what the issue
might be. It sounds to me like you have some local problem (see below)
that no-one but you can debug.

>    when I launch GNU Emacs 22.0.50 as src/emacs from the build tree
>    it behaves right in window size, but uses the default calendar with
>    holidays from a few world religions;
>
>    when I launch GNU Emacs 22.0.50 as /usr/local/bin/emacs-22.0.50 it
>    uses the "localised" calendar Elisp files and shows only German and
>    local holidays accordingly (plus some religious ones in religious
>    states that make together with the secular states the Federal
>    Republic of Germoney).

I don't know what the "localised" calendar files are; but since there
are no German holidays in the Emacs sources, it sounds very much like
you have some local additions that are messing things up. As you say,
your CVS copy works fine.