all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* next-error for dired-find?
@ 2009-02-26  2:06 Mike Halloran
From: Mike Halloran @ 2009-02-26  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is there a good way to run a file search, and use the c-x backtick (c-
x `) (next-error) command to jump to each file?

c-x backtick works with grep, and grep-find. Basically, I am looking
to do a quick browse through each cpp file in my source tree.

Any thoughts?

* Re: next-error for dired-find?
@ 2009-02-26  4:06 ` Andreas Politz
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Andreas Politz @ 2009-02-26  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Mike Halloran wrote:
> Is there a good way to run a file search, and use the c-x backtick (c-
> x `) (next-error) command to jump to each file?
>
> c-x backtick works with grep, and grep-find. Basically, I am looking
> to do a quick browse through each cpp file in my source tree.
>
> Any thoughts?

A quick look at `next-error-function' lead me to this most
simplistic solution. Maybe this already implemented somewhere,
I can't tell.

(defun dired-next-error-function (arg reset)
   (dired-next-line arg)
   (dired-advertised-find-file))

;; this is just one way to set the local `next-error-function'
;; variable
(add-hook 'dired-mode-hook
           #'(lambda nil
               (setq next-error-function 'dired-next-error-function)))

-ap

* Re: next-error for dired-find?
@ 2009-02-26  7:11 ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-02-26  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
Mike Halloran <mike.halloran@gmail.com> writes:

> Is there a good way to run a file search, and use the c-x backtick (c-
> x `) (next-error) command to jump to each file?
>
> c-x backtick works with grep, and grep-find. Basically, I am looking
> to do a quick browse through each cpp file in my source tree.
>
> Any thoughts?

Have a look at traverselisp.el, it provide a nice interface to navigate
in the result of your search.

--
A + Thierry Volpiatto
Location: Saint-Cyr-Sur-Mer - France

* Re: next-error for dired-find?
@ 2009-03-02  9:33 ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2009-03-02  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Mike Halloran writes:

> Is there a good way to run a file search, and use the c-x backtick (c-
> x `) (next-error) command to jump to each file?
>
> c-x backtick works with grep, and grep-find. Basically, I am looking
> to do a quick browse through each cpp file in my source tree.
>
> Any thoughts?

find-grep-dired		      M-x ... RET

   Find files in DIR containing a regexp REGEXP and start Dired on output.

grep-find		      M-x ... RET

   Run grep via find, with user-specified args COMMAND-ARGS.

* Re: next-error for dired-find?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-03-02  9:40 ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2009-03-02  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Mike Halloran writes:

> Is there a good way to run a file search, and use the c-x backtick (c-
> x `) (next-error) command to jump to each file?
>
> c-x backtick works with grep, and grep-find. Basically, I am looking
> to do a quick browse through each cpp file in my source tree.
>
> Any thoughts?

dired-do-isearch	      M-x ... RET
   Search for a string through all marked files using Isearch.
dired-do-isearch-regexp	      M-x ... RET
   Search for a regexp through all marked files using Isearch.
dired-do-search		      M-x ... RET
   Search through all marked files for a match for REGEXP.
dired-isearch-filenames	      M-x ... RET
   Search for a string using Isearch only in file names in the Dired buffer.
dired-isearch-filenames-regexp M-x ... RET
   Search for a regexp using Isearch only in file names in the Dired buffer.
dired-isearch-filenames-toggle M-x ... RET
   Toggle file names searching on or off.