all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <mituharu@math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp>
To: Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: RFC: status icon support again
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 16:37:56 +0900	[thread overview]

> * I looked a little at rewriting so status icons would be part of
> keymaps, but this looked complicated and I didn't see a benefit --
> in particular this code has no relation to toolbars at all, and I
> didn't think any code could be shared.

Of course code cannot be shared between them without changing the
fundamental design of your code for status icons.  Do you claim that
status icons and tool bar icons are inherently different enough to
resort to different design in implementation code and also in elisp
interface?

Another benefit of the use of keymaps is that it makes easier to move
between status icons from/to tool bar icons (and possibly also between
menu bar items?), in the case that the use of either is
impossible/inappropriate.  I think user-configurable event dispatcher
tables should always be implemented as keymaps unless there are strong
reasons to avoid them.

				     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
				mituharu@math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp