all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How Many Emacs Users?
@ 2004-02-21 12:57 Brad Collins
From: Brad Collins @ 2004-02-21 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm writing a investment proposal and it would be helpful to include
the number of Emacs users (Xemacs etc) are out there.

Are we talking in the tens, hundreds, a million or more?

I remember back in the early 90's when I was running an ISP in Hong
Kong and was called by the South China Morning Post (the biggest
English language newspaper in HK) asking how many Internet Users there
were in Hong Kong.  I hadn't slept in a couple of days so I gave a
number off the top of my head.  The number ended up being quoted on a
Web site (I think at Chinese University) and a month later it was
being cited as fact by the Hong Kong government.  After that the
number was just cited as a government statistic.

Any statistic is dubious, but if anyone has any ball park guesses
it would be helpful.

Cheers,

b/

--