all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs browser: W3 an orphan?
@ 2003-12-03 22:07 Joe Fineman
From: Joe Fineman @ 2003-12-03 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would be delighted to escape from IE into the warm womb of Emacs and
save my trackball for emergencies, but it seems from

http://www.cs.indiana.edu/elisp/w3/docs.html

that Emacs/W3 was abandoned 4 years ago: elementary parts of the
documentation have never been written, and there is nothing about
running the program under recent Windowses.  Is that because something
better has come along?
--
---  Joe Fineman    jcf@TheWorld.com

||:  Whether or not we find what we are seeking  :||
||:  is idle, biologically speaking.             :||

* Emacs browser: W3 an orphan?
@ 2003-12-03 22:29 Joe Fineman
From: Joe Fineman @ 2003-12-03 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would be delighted to escape from IE to the warm womb of Emacs and
reserve my trackball for emergencies.  However, it seems from

http://www.cs.indiana.edu/elisp/w3/docs.html

that W3 has been abandoned for 4 years; elementary parts of the
documentation are still begging to be written, and there is no mention
of using the program under recent Windowses.  Is that because
something better has come along?
--
---  Joe Fineman    jcf@TheWorld.com

||:  Fancy theories of truth give aid & comfort to liars.  :||

* Re: Emacs browser: W3 an orphan?
@ 2003-12-03 23:23 ` Dan Anderson
From: Dan Anderson @ 2003-12-03 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joe Fineman <jcf@TheWorld.com> writes:

> I would be delighted to escape from IE to the warm womb of Emacs and
> reserve my trackball for emergencies.  However, it seems from
>
> http://www.cs.indiana.edu/elisp/w3/docs.html
>
> that W3 has been abandoned for 4 years; elementary parts of the
> documentation are still begging to be written, and there is no mention
> of using the program under recent Windowses.  Is that because
> something better has come along?
> --
> ---  Joe Fineman    jcf@TheWorld.com
>
> ||:  Fancy theories of truth give aid & comfort to liars.  :||

I use mozilla (http://www.mozilla.org) and the following in my .emacs:

(global-set-key (kbd "C-c b") 'browse-url-mozilla)
;; set options for Mozilla
(setq browse-url-new-window-flag t)
(setq browse-url-mozilla-new-window-is-tab t)

Then C-c b opens a new mozilla window, or a URL in a tab.

-Dan

* Re: Emacs browser: W3 an orphan?
@ 2003-12-03 23:35 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-12-03 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://emacs-w3m.namazu.org/

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: Emacs browser: W3 an orphan?
@ 2003-12-04 16:08   ` Joe Fineman
From: Joe Fineman @ 2003-12-04 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks very much for your suggestions, Kevin and Dan.  (I apologize
for the double posting; my ISP stalled and I thought the first one
hadn't gotten thru.)
--
---  Joe Fineman    jcf@TheWorld.com

||:  When you have a cold, the universe is half full of galaxies  :||
||:  & half full of snot.                                         :||