Hello, What can I do to properly view text that shows up with inappropriate foreign characters, as well as characters like \200, \234, \235? The example I'm looking at right now is email from a Mac user. I checked out the documentation here and around it: http://www.gnu.org/manual/emacs-20.7/html_node/emacs_196.html#SEC202 ... but the only thing I could find to do (M-x set-codepage) didn't help. (Perhaps only because I didn't have a guess as to what codepage to use.) Thanks! -Josh Here's a pasted bit that will, I suppose either look fine for you or have a's with accents and numerically displayed characters: Elman “solved” this by “starting small” — that is, by incrementally increasing the processing capacity of the model, so that it picks up simple cases first, and then bootstraps to more complicated ones.