all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#12788: cl-loop-handler, cl-loop-for-handler
@ 2012-11-03  0:03 Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-11-03  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 12788

Package: emacs
Version: 24.2.50

(The inverse of http://debbugs.gnu.org/12773 )

It seems to me that cl-loop-handler, cl-loop-for-handler should not have
been renamed to cl--loop-handler and cl--loop-for-handler.
They are advertised methods to customize the `cl-loop', rather than
internal details..

From cl.texi in 24.2:

    4.7.6 Other Clauses:
    [...]
       While there is no high-level way to add user extensions to
    `loop', this package does offer two properties called
    `cl-loop-handler' and `cl-loop-for-handler' which are functions to
    be called when a given symbol is encountered as a top-level loop
    clause or `for' clause, respectively. Consult the source code in
    file `cl-macs.el' for details.

* bug#12788: cl-loop-handler, cl-loop-for-handler
@ 2012-11-03  0:39 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-11-03  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 12788

PS I don't know what (if anything) should happen in this case, but I
also want to point out that cl-gensym-counter and cl-random-state are
documented in cl.texi, but have been renamed with cl-- prefixes.

* bug#12788: cl-loop-handler, cl-loop-for-handler
@ 2012-11-03  2:29 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-11-03  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: 12788

> It seems to me that cl-loop-handler, cl-loop-for-handler should not have
> been renamed to cl--loop-handler and cl--loop-for-handler.
> They are advertised methods to customize the `cl-loop', rather than
> internal details..

Oops, looks like you're right.  Could you rename them back in emacs-24?

> PS I don't know what (if anything) should happen in this case, but I
> also want to point out that cl-gensym-counter and cl-random-state are
> documented in cl.texi, but have been renamed with cl-- prefixes.

I think we should de-document them.  We can add compatibility aliases
for them to cl.el if needed.