all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* next-error was never ready for makefiles
@ 2002-05-16  3:17 Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2002-05-16  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fellas, how could it be that 15 years ago I was already using M-x
compile and gdb etc. all hooked together, whatever, but still down to
this very day if I say, blow something in a Makefile, M-x compile
can't jump to the error:

cd /home/jidanni/unicode/
make
echo 'a@b#c|perl -wln a.pl
/bin/sh: -c: line 1: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `''
/bin/sh: -c: line 2: syntax error: unexpected end of file
make: *** [a] Error 2

Compilation exited abnormally with code 2 at Thu May 16 11:08:06

the Makefile's error is obvious:

a:
	echo 'a@b#c$"|perl -wln a.pl
#	echo 30|perl -wlne 'print hex $$_'

Anyway, will the emacs dude and/or the bash dude get together and do
what is needed for next-error to jump to problems even in makefiles?!
[first gotta say the name of the makefile...]
--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780