all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to swap M-TAB and M-`
@ 2002-10-25  0:44 Jiri Pejchal
From: Jiri Pejchal @ 2002-10-25  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm using Emacs on Linux and remotely from Windows. I'd like to be
able to use *-complete-symbol functions in different modes. These
functions are bound to M-tab, but pressing Alt-TAB switches among
applications.

I can use ESC TAB but this is not very convenient (too much moving with hand:-). I'm
thinking of swapping M-tab and M-` (runs tmm-menubar, which I don't use).
Any ideas or tips how to do it?

Thanks.

Jiri Pejchal

* Re: How to swap M-TAB and M-`
@ 2002-10-25  3:35 ` Michael Slass
From: Michael Slass @ 2002-10-25  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jiri Pejchal <xpejchal@nymfe34.fi.muni.cz> writes:

>Hi,
>
>I'm using Emacs on Linux and remotely from Windows. I'd like to be
>able to use *-complete-symbol functions in different modes. These
>functions are bound to M-tab, but pressing Alt-TAB switches among
>applications.
>
>I can use ESC TAB but this is not very convenient (too much moving with hand:-). I'm
>thinking of swapping M-tab and M-` (runs tmm-menubar, which I don't use).
>Any ideas or tips how to do it?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Jiri Pejchal

For Windows, if you're using X, your X server (Reflection, Exceed,
etc.) will probably have an option to reserve either or both of the
alt keys for Windows.  If you make one of the alt keys not reserved
for windows, it will get sent as meta, including M-<TAB>.

Can't tell you about Linux.

--
Mike Slass

* Re: How to swap M-TAB and M-`
@ 2002-10-25 19:46 ` Benjamin Rutt
From: Benjamin Rutt @ 2002-10-25 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jiri Pejchal <xpejchal@nymfe34.fi.muni.cz> writes:

> I'm using Emacs on Linux and remotely from Windows. I'd like to be
> able to use *-complete-symbol functions in different modes. These
> functions are bound to M-tab, but pressing Alt-TAB switches among
> applications.
>
> I can use ESC TAB but this is not very convenient (too much moving
> with hand:-). I'm thinking of swapping M-tab and M-` (runs
> tmm-menubar, which I don't use).  Any ideas or tips how to do it?

See the node "Keyboard Translations" in the info pages.
--
Benjamin

* Re: How to swap M-TAB and M-`
@ 2002-10-26  9:04   ` Jiri Pejchal
From: Jiri Pejchal @ 2002-10-26  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Benjamin Rutt wrote:

> Jiri Pejchal <xpejchal@nymfe34.fi.muni.cz> writes:
>
> > I'm using Emacs on Linux and remotely from Windows. I'd like to be
> > able to use *-complete-symbol functions in different modes. These
> > functions are bound to M-tab, but pressing Alt-TAB switches among
> > applications.
> >
> > I can use ESC TAB but this is not very convenient (too much moving
> > with hand:-). I'm thinking of swapping M-tab and M-` (runs
> > tmm-menubar, which I don't use).  Any ideas or tips how to do it?

 See the node "Keyboard Translations" in the info pages.

That's it. But when I try:

(keyboard-translate ?\M-` ?\M-\t)

I get following error:

Error in init file: Args out of range: #^[t nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil ni\
l nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil ....

Jiri Pejchal

* Re: How to swap M-TAB and M-`
@ 2002-10-26 14:40     ` Benjamin Rutt
From: Benjamin Rutt @ 2002-10-26 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jiri Pejchal <xpejchal@nymfe34.fi.muni.cz> writes:

> That's it. But when I try:
>
> (keyboard-translate ?\M-` ?\M-\t)
>
> I get following error:
>
> Error in init file: Args out of range: #^[t nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil ni\
> l nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil ....

Try placing (setq debug-on-error t) at the top of your .emacs and post
the resulting backtrace.
--
Benjamin

* Re: How to swap M-TAB and M-`
@ 2002-10-29 12:36       ` Jiri Pejchal
From: Jiri Pejchal @ 2002-10-29 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 26 Oct 2002, Benjamin Rutt wrote:

> Jiri Pejchal <xpejchal@nymfe34.fi.muni.cz> writes:
>
> > That's it. But when I try:
> >
> > (keyboard-translate ?\M-` ?\M-\t)
> >
> > I get following error:
> >
> > Error in init file: Args out of range: #^[t nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil ni\
> > l nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil ....
>
> Try placing (setq debug-on-error t) at the top of your .emacs and post
> the resulting backtrace.

The same error:

An error has occurred while loading `/home/xpejchal/.emacs':

Args out of range: #^[t nil nil nil nil nil ni nil nil nil nil nil nil nil ...\
It ends:
nil nil nil keyboard-translate-table], -134217632

Jiri Pejchal

* Re: How to swap M-TAB and M-`
@ 2002-10-29 17:27         ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2002-10-29 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jiri Pejchal wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Oct 2002, Benjamin Rutt wrote:
>

>>Jiri Pejchal <xpejchal@nymfe34.fi.muni.cz> writes:
>>

>>>That's it. But when I try:
>>>
>>>(keyboard-translate ?\M-` ?\M-\t)
>>>
>>>I get following error:
>>>
>>>Error in init file: Args out of range: #^[t nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil ni\
>>>l nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil ....
>>>
>>Try placing (setq debug-on-error t) at the top of your .emacs and post
>>the resulting backtrace.
>>

> The same error:
>
> An error has occurred while loading `/home/xpejchal/.emacs':
>
> Args out of range: #^[t nil nil nil nil nil ni nil nil nil nil nil nil nil ...\
> It ends:
> nil nil nil keyboard-translate-table], -134217632

Exactly.  Do keyboard-translate and keyboard-translate-table handle arbitrary
keyboard events, or just characters?  The "Keyboard Translations" Info node of
the Emacs manual indicates the latter:

	... there is only one set of keyboard
	translations, and it applies to every character that Emacs reads from
	the terminal.  Keyboard translations take place at the lowest level of
	input processing; the keys that are looked up in keymaps contain the
	characters that result from keyboard translation.

	...  Keyboard translations affect only ASCII character input, not
	function keys;

So perhaps you need to use key-translation-map instead.

--

* Re: How to swap M-TAB and M-`
@ 2002-10-29 23:57           ` Benjamin Rutt
From: Benjamin Rutt @ 2002-10-29 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <kevinr@ihs.com> writes:

> Exactly.  Do keyboard-translate and keyboard-translate-table handle arbitrary
> keyboard events, or just characters?  The "Keyboard Translations" Info node of
> the Emacs manual indicates the latter:
>
> 	... there is only one set of keyboard
> 	translations, and it applies to every character that Emacs reads from
> 	the terminal.  Keyboard translations take place at the lowest level of
> 	input processing; the keys that are looked up in keymaps contain the
> 	characters that result from keyboard translation.
>

> 	...  Keyboard translations affect only ASCII character input, not
> 	function keys;
>
> So perhaps you need to use key-translation-map instead.

Good idea.  As an example, I've had good luck translating C-M-tab into
M-tab with the following:

(define-key key-translation-map (kbd "<C-M-tab>") "\e\t")
--
Benjamin