In article , Artist wrote: >Hi, How I can get the function definition via lisp code? > Lambda expression may be ok. > >I know how to see it via find-function and I don't want to use macro. > >Something like >(get-definition 'mark-whole-buffer) (symbol-function 'mark-whole-buffer) >should return > >(defun mark-whole-buffer () > "Put point at beginning and mark at end of buffer. >You probably should not use this function in Lisp programs; >it is usually a mistake for a Lisp function to use any subroutine >that uses or sets the mark." > (interactive) > (push-mark (point)) > (push-mark (point-max) nil t) > (goto-char (point-min))) You'll only get the lambda expression if the function is interpreted. Since mark-whole-buffer is byte-compiled, you get a vector containing the compiled version: #[nil "À`!ˆÀdÁÂ#ˆeb‡" [push-mark nil t] 4 1035873 nil] If you want to see the source code, use M-. to find the source file. -- Barry Margolin, barry.margolin@level3.com Genuity Managed Services, Woburn, MA *** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to newsgroups. Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the group.