all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Emacs on Windows XP -> Cygwin
@ 2007-11-13 14:31 JunJie
From: JunJie @ 2007-11-13 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am using rxvt + emacs under cygwin. Nice.

Sent to you by JunJie via Google Reader: Re: Emacs on Windows XP ->
Cygwin via Nabble - Emacs - Help by Eli Zaretskii on 11/12/07 > From:
Chris McMahan <first_initiallastname@...>
> Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 20:09:38 -0500
>

> I wouldn't recommend that. I am running Windows XP with Cygwin, and
> I'm using the XP (w32) version of Emacs and the cygwin tools without
> any problems.

I wouldn't recommend doing what you do, unless the OP likes to
"tinker" with all kinds of Emacs options and optional packages, such
as cygwin-mount. There are subtle incompatibilities between Cygwin
and native Windows programs (file-name conventions, console and pipe
I/O, text vs. binary I/O, signal delivery, etc.), so someone who's
used for things "to just work", like they do on GNU/Linux, is well
advised to limit him/herself to either only Cygwin programs or only
native Windows programs.

> The cygwin version of emacs is (AFAIK) an older version.

One can find a pointer to the latest one by searching the archives of
the Cygwin mailing list.

> To get windowing support, you must run the Cygwin xserver.

True, but where's the problem with that? an X server is available as
part of the Cygwin download.

Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to Nabble - Emacs - Help using Google Reader
favorite sites

* RE: Emacs on Windows XP -> Cygwin
@ 2007-11-13  4:03 JunJie
From: JunJie @ 2007-11-13  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

You can install CYGWIN + emacs directly through CYGWIN
setup(http://www.cygwin.com/setup.exe).

No need to uninstall the emacs under C:\program....

Sent to you by JunJie via Google Reader: Emacs on Windows XP -> Cygwin
via Nabble - Emacs - Help by Raimund Kohl-Fuechsle on 11/12/07 Hello,

as mentioned recently I have a Thinkpad with Windows XP running. I
installed emacs 22.x on it the way I read it someplace on the internet
... not under C.\Programme but under C.\emacs instead. Works ... only
printing from within emacs does not work. However, now I found out
there is Cygwin ... well, looks great so far. Now here the question:
AFAIU Cygwin is "best choice" if one is wanting to have XP working
Linux.like plus having some Xnix tools too. To enjoy Cygwin, am I to
deinstall emacs the way I have it now, then to install Cygwin and
reinstall emacs only this time as a Cygwin package? Does this sound
reasonable? I don't mind much installing/reinstalling ... as long as it
is the best way to have all things running greatly ... :-)

Thanx in advance

ray

Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to Nabble - Emacs - Help using Google Reader
favorite sites

* Emacs on Windows XP -> Cygwin
@ 2007-11-12 20:19 Raimund Kohl-Füchsle