all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* two questions about scroll bar (GNU Emacs 23.1.1)
@ 2010-08-15 14:18 Ulrich Scholz
From: Ulrich Scholz @ 2010-08-15 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have two questions about Gnu Emacs and the scroll bar. It's hard to
search for answers on the web because of the difficulty to find
specific search terms. So please apologize if my questions are
trivial.

1) If I click the scrollbar and move the mouse, the text moves
accordingly: OK. But if I release the button and the pointer is
outside of the Emacs window, the scroll bar jumps back to its original
position.  Only if the pointer is inside the window, the scroll bar
stays at the new position.  How can I change this behavior such that
the scroll bar keeps its new position regardless where the mouse
pointer is at release time? Of course, this issue might not be
unrelated to Emacs.

2) When I release the mouse button and the scroll bar stays at the new
position, Emacs selects the text between the old and the new position
(it is highlighted). How can I stop Emacs from doing so? In other
words: no selection, buffer-altering, etc.

Thanks,

Ulrich

GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.0)
of 2010-03-29 on rothera, modified by Debian

Linux herzberg 2.6.32-24-generic-pae #39-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jul 28
07:39:26 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux
Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS

* Re: two questions about scroll bar (GNU Emacs 23.1.1)
@ 2010-08-16 15:49 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-08-16 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ulrich Scholz wrote:

> 2) When I release the mouse button and the scroll bar stays at the new
> position, Emacs selects the text between the old and the new position
> (it is highlighted). How can I stop Emacs from doing so? In other
> words: no selection, buffer-altering, etc.
[...]
> GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.0)
> of 2010-03-29 on rothera, modified by Debian

Try upgrading to a Debian version greater than or equal to 23.1+1-6: