all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ignoring subdirectory in find-file completion
@ 2005-06-01 13:01 Albert Reiner
From: Albert Reiner @ 2005-06-01 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I am looking for some way to make completion when using find-file
ignore any directory named _darcs; i.e., if I have a directory
structure

    foo/
      _darcs/
      bar/

then `M-x find-file f o o / TAB' should complete to `foo/bar/'.

>From the documentation I thought that

    (add-to-list 'completion-ignored-extensions "_darcs")

should do what I want, but that does not seem to be the case.

Any help would be appreciated.

Albert.

* Re: ignoring subdirectory in find-file completion
@ 2005-06-01 16:07 ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2005-06-01 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Albert Reiner <areiner@tph.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking for some way to make completion when using find-file
> ignore any directory named _darcs; i.e., if I have a directory
> structure
>
>     foo/
>       _darcs/
>       bar/
>
> then `M-x find-file f o o / TAB' should complete to `foo/bar/'.
>
> From the documentation I thought that
>
>     (add-to-list 'completion-ignored-extensions "_darcs")
>
> should do what I want, but that does not seem to be the case.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Albert.

The docs for completion-ignored-extensions say:

...Directories are ignored if they match any string in this list which
ends in a slash...

And your "_darcs" doesn't end in a slash...

Dave

* Re: ignoring subdirectory in find-file completion
@ 2005-06-01 16:19   ` Albert Reiner
From: Albert Reiner @ 2005-06-01 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for your reply:

[dave@adboyd.com (J. David Boyd), Wed, 01 Jun 2005 16:07:26 GMT]:
> >     (add-to-list 'completion-ignored-extensions "_darcs")
>
> The docs for completion-ignored-extensions say:
>
> ...Directories are ignored if they match any string in this list which
> ends in a slash...
>
> And your "_darcs" doesn't end in a slash...

But even with the slash I don't get the desired behavior.  Also, the
description seems to indicate that ignored items should end in that
string, but foo_darcs should not be skipped.

BTW, the version here is "GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i386-redhat-linux-gnu, X
toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2005-02-04 on bugs.build.redhat.com".

Thanks again,

@ 2005-06-01 16:31     ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2832.1117657492.25862.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-06-01 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Also, the description seems to indicate that ignored items should end in
> that string, but foo_darcs should not be skipped.

Sorry, can't do that,

* Re: ignoring subdirectory in find-file completion
@ 2005-06-01 16:52       ` Albert Reiner
From: Albert Reiner @ 2005-06-01 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>, Wed, 01 Jun 2005 12:31:56 -0400]:
> > Also, the description seems to indicate that ignored items should end in
> > that string, but foo_darcs should not be skipped.
>
> Sorry, can't do that,

Well, I'll live with that.  Thanks for your help, though, and for
pointing out that support for this isn't built in.

Regards,

@ 2005-06-01 20:09     ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2832.1117657492.25862.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-06-01 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Albert Reiner <areiner@tph.tuwien.ac.at>
> Date: 01 Jun 2005 18:19:36 +0200
>
> But even with the slash I don't get the desired behavior.  Also, the
> description seems to indicate that ignored items should end in that
> string, but foo_darcs should not be skipped.
>
> BTW, the version here is "GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i386-redhat-linux-gnu, X
> toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2005-02-04 on bugs.build.redhat.com".

IIRC, this feature has a bug in 21.3 (and older versions as well), and
will be only fixed in the next release.  (And even there foo_darcs
will be skipped too.)

@ 2005-06-01 20:42       ` Albert Reiner
From: Albert Reiner @ 2005-06-01 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, Wed, 01 Jun 2005 23:09:36 +0300]:
> IIRC, this feature has a bug in 21.3 (and older versions as well), and
> will be only fixed in the next release.  (And even there foo_darcs
> will be skipped too.)

Ah, thanks for pointing that out!

Regards,

Albert.