all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#5722: 23.1; C-a unexpected behavior in minibuffer
@ 2010-03-15 15:16 Tony Robalik
From: Tony Robalik @ 2010-03-15 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 5722

* bug#5722: 23.1; C-a unexpected behavior in minibuffer
@ 2010-03-19 15:30 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2010-03-19 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tony Robalik; +Cc: 5722

> When finding a file (C-x C-f), I typically use C-a C-k to move to the
> beginning of the suggested search directory and kill it, so that I may
> quickly and easily type in the correct information. However, sometimes
> (usually not the first time I find a file in any given Emacs session),
> C-a moves to the very beginning of the minibuffer (before the prompt),

Could you provide a recipe to reproduce this bug, beginning with
`emacs -Q'?

* bug#5722: 23.1; C-a unexpected behavior in minibuffer
@ 2010-04-28 15:39 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2010-04-28 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 5722

Forwarding mail from bug reporter:

From: Tony Robalik <trobalik@warwicktownship.org>
Subject: [Fwd: [Fwd: Re: bug#5722: 23.1; C-a unexpected behavior in minibuffer]]
To: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>

Hi,

I understand that what I've found is probably not a "bug", but a local problem
with my site-start.el file, but I've never modified that file, aside possibly
from installing aucTeX. I've attached the offending file. It's location, in my
work Windows laptop, is "C:\emacs-23.1\site-lisp". I get the same problems,
though, in my home Ubuntu laptop and in the Virtual Ubuntu machine I run on my
work computer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

From: Chong Yidong @ 2010-04-28 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tony Robalik; +Cc: 5722

Tony Robalik <trobalik@warwicktownship.org> writes:

> I understand that what I've found is probably not a "bug", but a local problem
> with my site-start.el file, but I've never modified that file, aside possibly
> from installing aucTeX. I've attached the offending file. It's location, in my
> work Windows laptop, is "C:\emacs-23.1\site-lisp". I get the same problems,
> though, in my home Ubuntu laptop and in the Virtual Ubuntu machine I run on my
> work computer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Please keep the CC when replying, so that this information goes to the
bug tracker.  Thanks.

You have probably installed some extra packages, some of which are
interfering with the proper functioning of Emacs.  Look in the
site-start.d directory for the packages that may be causing this
problem.  Take them out one by one, and see if the bug goes away; that
will tell you which is the offending package.

* bug#5722: 23.1; C-a unexpected behavior in minibuffer
@ 2010-04-28 16:40   ` Tony Robalik
From: Tony Robalik @ 2010-04-28 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: 5722

* bug#5722: 23.1; C-a unexpected behavior in minibuffer
@ 2011-07-12  8:26   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2011-07-12  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 5722-done

> It only happens when I load emacs normally or when I load it with
> `emacs --no-site-file'... shall I then assume it either has to do with
> site-start.el?

No, this means it is NOT to do with site-start.el.

> A. If I

Summary of your 4 cases:

You see the problem if you start Emacs normally, or with --no-site-file.
You do not see the problem if you start with -q or -Q.

Therefore the problem is due to something in your ~/.emacs (or
default.el, but this seems less likely).

So you need to comment out things from your .emacs until you find what
causes the problem. It's probably due to some external, non-Emacs
package that you load, so I am closing this. But if it turns out to be
an Emacs issue, please reply with details and we can reopen this if
needed.