all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to put emacs in fg if it was run by "xterm -e emacs -nw"
@ 2005-11-29 12:55 Chenfu.Wang
From: Chenfu.Wang @ 2005-11-29 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Run "xterm -e emacs -nw" and then press "Ctrl + Z". Is there way to put emacs back to foreground?

Br,

- Chenfu

* Re: How to put emacs in fg if it was run by "xterm -e emacs -nw"
       [not found] <mailman.17184.1133268938.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-11-29 14:08 ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2005-11-29 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

<Chenfu.Wang@nokia.com> writes:
> Run "xterm -e emacs -nw" and then press "Ctrl + Z". Is there way to
> put emacs back to foreground?

Depends on your shell.

    man $(basename $SHELL)

search for job control commands.

@ 2005-11-29 14:34 ` Stein Arild Strømme
From: Stein Arild Strømme @ 2005-11-29 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Chenfu Wang]

| Hi,
|
| Run "xterm -e emacs -nw" and then press "Ctrl + Z". Is there way to
| put emacs back to foreground?

fg

SA
--
Stein Arild Strømme            +47 55584825, +47 95801887
Universitetet i Bergen                  Fax: +47 55589672

* Re: How to put emacs in fg if it was run by "xterm -e emacs -nw"
@ 2005-11-29 16:09 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-11-29 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 29.11.2005 um 13:55 schrieb <Chenfu.Wang@nokia.com>:

> Run "xterm -e emacs -nw" and then press "Ctrl + Z". Is there way to
> put emacs back to foreground?

Have you tried fg? Being foreground? It depends on the shell ...

BTW: why do you press C-z? GNU Emacs has a much more comfortable shell
Greetings

   Pete

The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is the day they
start selling vacuum cleaners.

@ 2005-11-29 22:51 ` Ilya Zakharevich
From: Ilya Zakharevich @ 2005-11-29 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

<Chenfu.Wang@nokia.com>], who wrote in article <mailman.17184.1133268938.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>:
> Run "xterm -e emacs -nw" and then press "Ctrl + Z". Is there way to put =
> emacs back to foreground?

[Please disregard the BS in the earlier answers to your post (there is
 no shell in the picture).]

I do not think you have a chance; this is a serious bug in the design
of TTYs (it should have been the shell who enables SUSP tty setting,
not the creator of TTY).  I think I saw something in XTerm changelog

  http://dickey.his.com/xterm/xterm.log.html

to address this shortcoming.  You may also try disabling tty's SUSP
setting from inside emacs in this situation:

  xterm -e env NO_SHELL=yes emacs -nw

and check for NO_SHELL in your .emacs (do not know how to do analogue
of stty from within emacs; of couse, you can call stty directly).

Hope this helps,
Ilya

* Re: How to put emacs in fg if it was run by "xterm -e emacs -nw"
@ 2005-11-29 22:59   ` Matthieu Moy
From: Matthieu Moy @ 2005-11-29 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ilya Zakharevich <nospam-abuse@ilyaz.org> writes:

> <Chenfu.Wang@nokia.com>], who wrote in article <mailman.17184.1133268938.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>:
>> Run "xterm -e emacs -nw" and then press "Ctrl + Z". Is there way to put =
>> emacs back to foreground?
>
> [Please disregard the BS in the earlier answers to your post (there is
>  no shell in the picture).]

Actually, on my machine, C-z doesn't suspend Emacs when started with
xterm -e emacs -nw.

> I do not think you have a chance;

I think "kill -CONT pid-of-emacs" should do it.

--
Matthieu

* RE: How to put emacs in fg if it was run by "xterm -e emacs -nw"
@ 2005-11-30  7:17 Chenfu.Wang
From: Chenfu.Wang @ 2005-11-30  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

It happens for me now and then that I press Ctrl + Z when I want Ctrl + X...

That's annoying because I was editing some document and was stopped by C + z.

Br,

- Chenfu

       [not found] <mailman.17297.1133335134.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-11-30  8:14 ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2005-11-30  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

<Chenfu.Wang@nokia.com> writes:

> It happens for me now and then that I press Ctrl + Z when I want Ctrl + X...
>
> That's annoying because I was editing some document and was stopped by C + z.

put this in your ~/.emacs

(global-set-key (kbd "C-z") (lambda nil (interactive) (beep)))

There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not
want merely because you think it would be good for him. -- Robert Heinlein